Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Saints Game Tuesday - Pizza Cup

Comments

• Options
    RedChaser said:
    I enjoyed the last game, so will certainly be tuning into this one as well. Especially with a bit of a break until the next game.
    I thought Barker was now out on loan at Wealdstone is he allowed back for cup games ? 🤷‍♂️
    He is indeed. The team I expect will be:

Henderson
    Matthews - Deji - Pearce - Purrington
    Dobson - Clare
    DJ - Morgan - Claydon
    Stockley

Not a bad side to watch and wouldn't be shocked to see Gilbey, CBT, Kirk to get some time as well.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    RedChaser said:
    I enjoyed the last game, so will certainly be tuning into this one as well. Especially with a bit of a break until the next game.
    I thought Barker was now out on loan at Wealdstone is he allowed back for cup games ? 🤷‍♂️

Henderson
    Dobson - Clare
    DJ - Morgan - Claydon
    Stockley

Not a bad side to watch and wouldn't be shocked to see Gilbey, CBT, Kirk to get some time as well.
    I quoted you instead of BR7 but thanks for the response 👍
  • Options
    Are there still rules for who we HAVE to play, based on our last game (Fleetwood) or our next game (Lincoln)?
    I thinks so. The fine is bigger for this cup then the league cup. Purely for fitness, we need to put out a relatively strong squad
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:

Henderson
    Dobson - Clare
    DJ - Morgan - Claydon
    Stockley

👍🏻 I edited since with Matthews in.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:

Henderson
    Dobson - Clare
    DJ - Morgan - Claydon
    Stockley

👍🏻 I edited since with Matthews in.
    Yeh I hadn’t read the Adkins Out thread either where this was mentioned earlier 🤓 👍
  • Options
    Henderson
    Dobson - Clare
    DJ - Morgan - CBT
    Washington
    And that's without Stockley or Watson. Hell of a team for the Pizza Cup, beats sending out toddlers like we have done in the past
    Washo is with Norn Iron this week.

• Options
    Henderson
    Matthews, Elewere, Pearce, Purrington 
    Dobson, Arter
    CBT, Morgan, Clayden
    Davison

Que Cera Cera?
    Arter with Ireland squad;

Henderson
    Matthews, Elewere, Pearce, Purrington 
    Dobson, Clare
    CBT, Morgan, Clayden
    Davison
  • Options
    I normally wouldn't be interested in such a match, but I'm half tempted to stream it now
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    joke game just like the joke international qualifiers - not interested in any of it  
    Unless we reach the final 
  • Options
    Enjoyed the Crawley game so will be watching this against a better team......Soton have always had a good academy
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2021
    Enjoyed the Crawley match and it gave us a chance to see Davison and CBT could move up the pecking order. 

Won't watch tonight as going to grass roots match but not sure if this is mentioned any where else but who decided that Gunter, Washington and Ghandour missing meant we needed to call the match off at the weekend ?

I can't see us getting any momentum at this rate.

You get match fit by playing matches. 

The part time players I know prefer to play Saturday, Tuesday and Saturday, rather than play Saturday, train Tuesday and Thursday and then play Saturday again.

Who's decision is it to use the International games to get a postponement ?

The two weeks break didn't help before the Cheltenham game when the first 45 minutes was a horror show where no energy was on show !

Taylor, Bielik, Gallagher, Williams is understandable but there was a Welshman, Irishman, and a young guy from the Lebanon, and once upon a time........
  • Options
    To be honest it’s probably the only thing we are playing for now. 

Obviously no chance of promotion or winning either proper cup and being realistic we aren’t going to go down with the squad we have.

Wouldn’t mind a trip to Wembley in the final to be honest.
  • Options
    Enjoyed the Crawley match and it gave us a chance to see Davison and CBT could move up the pecking order. 

Won't watch tonight as going to grass roots match but not sure if this is mentioned any where else but who decided that Gunter, Washington and Ghandour missing meant we needed to call the match off at the weekend ?

The part time players I know prefer to play Saturday, Tuesday and Saturday, rather than play Saturday, train Tuesday and Thursday and then play Saturday again.

The two weeks break didn't help before the Cheltenham game when the first 45 minutes was a horror show where no energy was on show !
    EIGHT games this weekend in L1 are postponed, so it's not just us. If we hadn't postponed the game, Rotherham would have anyway

Plus you're missing Arter
  • Options
    I'll be going, worth a fiver. One of the last games I'm able to  use my old diesel car before the ULEZ penalties apply.  

As already posted expect a mix of first teamers STILL short of match fitness and promising youngsters.
    Hoping to see Clayden & Elewere (sign that contract Deji ! )
  • Options

Taylor, Bielik, Gallagher, Williams is understandable but there was a Welshman, Irishman, and a young guy from the Lebanon, and once upon a time........
    Rotherham have 3 call ups so would have binned it off anyway. It is what it is 
  • Options
    @soapboxsam think someone posted elsewhere that Rotherham had players on international duty as well so not totally our call.
  • Options

It may not have been us. Either side can call it off if players are not available due to International call ups, which is the case.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    shirty5 said:

Rotherham have 3 call ups so would have binned it off anyway. It is what it is 

Cheers Shirty, Red chaser and Red Robo, if it's Rotherham calling it off, also I forgot about Harry Arter who after last week would have started if Nads can start to play a winning team two weeks in a row.

Thanks for being on the ball guys, more than our team could do against Cheltenham in that shocking 1st half !

At least the spirits should be raised at Sparrows lane this week and next after the Fleetwood game.
  • Options
    I would like to say comfortable home win ,so I will and go for a 3-1 win,sadly no clean sheet. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’d have gone to this if I wasn’t up north
  • Options
    Talal said:
    I don't know why people hate on this competition so much. Gives a chance for those not involved or needing to build fitness and youngsters to play for the first team. Better than no game for two weeks.
    All that being said, of course I won't be going...
    I have to say I hate it with a passion. The principle of pitching lower league clubs against the kids / U21's of the Premier League is beyond patronising to EFL clubs. I'm not sure that anyone in football actually treats it as anything other than a necessary evil and the sooner it dies a death based on supporter and club engagement the better. If it were my club, I'd go like for like and play the U21's, accept the fine, and exclude the match from any and all club first team records.

And Papa John's pizza's are crap.
  • Options
    It really needs to go to a straightforward knockout tourney again. This whole group stage nonsense is insane when the crowds are miniscule everywhere you look (expect the final).
  • Options
    Anyone know whether there will be live commentary available tonight?
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    ct_addick said:
    Enjoyed the Crawley game so will be watching this against a better team......Soton have always had a good academy
    Not been that good for a while now really. The last academy product they produced who plays regularly at Premier League level is Matt Targett, who made his debut in 2014, now plays for Villa and isn't exactly a world beater. Since then the closest thing they've had to a successful graduate is Michael Obafemi, who they recently sold to Swansea (because he's painfully average), and Yann Valery, who they took from Rennes aged 15/16 and is currently on loan at Birmingham aged 22 after slipping to third choice at right back. They could have had Ben White on this list, but they let him go at 16, much like they did with Danny Ings and Tyrone Mings. They haven't produced a really good player since 2012 to be honest. Plus they produced Martin Cranie, for which they can never be forgiven.
    I'm aware that as a result of posting this their academyc players will absolutely murder our team of first team-ish players tonight. I'm sorry.
  • Options
    The competition is a bit of a nonsense but, eschewing the delights of The Great British Bake Off (as comforting as it is in these difficult times), I have weakened, purchased a stream and shall be retiring to the back room to watch it.

As to the team, Henderson definitely needs a run out, as do a number of our other senior players like Dobson, Morgan, Purrington, DJ and CBT. With Hady Ghandour away with Lebanon and James Vennings, Wassim Aouachria and Charlie Barker all on loan in the National League, a number of the 'senior' Under 23s available for selection is a little limited. Maybe Charles Clayden, Aaron Henry and Mason Burstow will get a run out for at least part of the match.

Stockley and maybe even Davison could possibly get some minutes, although it would be very unfortunate if either of them picked up an injury on what is likely to be a heavy and draining pitch in a 
    meaningless competition. That said, I suppose the same thing can easily happen in training and we've got 12 days until our next game.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!