Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Signings Needed In January?

Comments

• Options
    PWR.

A STRIKER.

A proper one. A John Aldridge, Darren Bent, Jamie Vardy type. One you can put your house on to score. Not some namby namby winger-cum-striker who chips in with 6 or 8 a season. 

I say it every transfer window. Until you get someone who can regularly score you 20 goals per season you wont get promoted. Certainly not in a team currently set up like ours.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Leuth said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Leuth said:
    A new playing style is going to take some time to gel. If we end the season like an express train (even more so than last season) and we just miss out, it won't require huge change; what screwed us this time around was the continuity of losing JFC, Maatsen, Aneke, Pratley, Millar and a couple of key others, all of whose replacements have for whatever reason taken a while to get up to speed even as we change the playing ethos. This time, hopefully, we wouldn't lose key personnel. 

That's being as generous as possible to Adkins et al. Let's see.
    Lets be generous for a minute and say we are going to go on a good run between now and January so that the focus is more looking up than looking down.   If we are still looking down I suspect we are looking at a totally different kettle of fish. 

As it stands today, before next August, preferably July, we need 2 right backs, 2 left backs, 3 center halves, 1 center mid, 2 wingers, a number 10 and a striker.  That's 12 players.  We need to start on that in January at the latest.  If it means loaning out, or unregistering 1st team players we either don't want or can't keep, so be it.

If we are serious about promotion any time soon we need to halve that number by April or May.  If its new signings or new contracts we can't go into every summer window needing 10 plus players. 
    This is an insane post, sorry. Why do we need all of those players? Why have you written off most of our squad already? 2 MORE wingers? 3 MORE centre-halves? 4 MORE full-backs? What the hell.
    I wouldnt go quite that far but it's TRUE to say that :

Both right backs are not good enough, especially if you want to play a fast paced attacking wing back type of football.

As per my post above, we need a top goal scorer.

We need to tie CBT down to at least a 2 1/2 year deal.

Arter, Lee & Leko are loans so will need to be bought or replaced with PERMANENT signings in the summer. Same with Famewo, although that was built into the loan deal we have with Norwich. 

Pearce & Watson were contract extensions / stop gaps & need replacing. 

So that's 8 or 9 players already. 

And that's the problem when you dont rebuild properly & leave things until after the season has started.

Any bets on the exact thing happening next June & July......its been the same for the past few seasons so why change now.

• Options
    I do think Leko will have a breakthrough season with 15-20 goals if allowed to play his natural game.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Leuth said:
    A new playing style is going to take some time to gel. If we end the season like an express train (even more so than last season) and we just miss out, it won't require huge change; what screwed us this time around was the continuity of losing JFC, Maatsen, Aneke, Pratley, Millar and a couple of key others, all of whose replacements have for whatever reason taken a while to get up to speed even as we change the playing ethos. This time, hopefully, we wouldn't lose key personnel. 

Lets be generous for a minute and say we are going to go on a good run between now and January so that the focus is more looking up than looking down.   If we are still looking down I suspect we are looking at a totally different kettle of fish. 

As it stands today, before next August, preferably July, we need 2 right backs, 2 left backs, 3 center halves, 1 center mid, 2 wingers, a number 10 and a striker.  That's 12 players.  We need to start on that in January at the latest.  If it means loaning out, or unregistering 1st team players we either don't want or can't keep, so be it.

If we are serious about promotion any time soon we need to halve that number by April or May.  If its new signings or new contracts we can't go into every summer window needing 10 plus players. 
    This is an insane post, sorry. Why do we need all of those players? Why have you written off most of our squad already? 2 MORE wingers? 3 MORE centre-halves? 4 MORE full-backs? What the hell.

Both right backs are not good enough, especially if you want to play a fast paced attacking wing back type of football.

Arter, Lee & Leko are loans so will need to be bought or replaced with PERMANENT signings in the summer. Same with Famewo, although that was built into the loan deal we have with Norwich. 

And that's the problem when you dont rebuild properly & leave things until after the season has started.

Any bets on the exact thing happening next June & July......its been the same for the past few seasons so why change now.

It's not so much as even they are/aren't good enough.  It's more we have ONE, yes ONE, defender contracted for next season.

CBT aside, you can't go into June not knowing if half your squad is staying or not.  
  • Options
    Sanogo & Josh Parker are the only 'senior' centre forwards from League 1 or the Championship available as free agents, under the age of 30. 

They'd both be behind Davison, Washington and Stockley for me. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Leuth said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Leuth said:

It's not so much as even they are/aren't good enough.  It's more we have ONE, yes ONE, defender contracted for next season.

CBT aside, you can't go into June not knowing if half your squad is staying or not.  
    Which just proves why we've all said the this summer transfer window was such a fuck up. We all knew last Season that a lot of the squad were out of contract this May but we didnt bring in hardly enough PERMANENT  signings or even soon enough. Ended up signing Lee, Arter, Souare, Leko & CBT on loan or short term contracts.....which will all have to be replaced, combined with knowing that in May next year a raft of other players will be out of contract & the merry-go-round starts up again. 
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    I expect CBT, Souare & Famewo to sign permanently on decent deals FWIW.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Possibly Lee as well as Rocket Ronnie's departure leaves a gap for a forward. 
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Leuth said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Leuth said:

Which just proves why we've all said the this summer transfer window was such a fuck up. We all knew last Season that a lot of the squad were out of contract this May but we didnt bring in hardly enough PERMANENT  signings or even soon enough. Ended up signing Lee, Arter, Souare, Leko & CBT on loan or short term contracts.....which will all have to be replaced, combined with knowing that in May next year a raft of other players will be out of contract & the merry-go-round starts up again. 
    Faffing around also cost us Aneke and Amos, contracts should have been on the table in February, at the latest.  It would have cost us JFC if he hadn't got injured as well.  I don't buy this bullshit about not knowing what division we would be in, at worst they would have been on the bench in the championship.

I think I am right in saying that of the 10 outfield players that started last Saturday only Gilbey and Lavelle are contracted for next season.  Its actually a disgrace and it can't be left until July. 
  • Options
    Hal Robson-Kanu could definitely do a job at this level. Good hold up player and a better footballer than Stockley/Davison.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Leuth said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Leuth said:

Faffing around also cost us Aneke and Amos, contracts should have been on the table in February, at the latest.  It would have cost us JFC if he hadn't got injured as well.  I don't buy this bullshit about not knowing what division we would be in, at worst they would have been on the bench in the championship.

I think I am right in saying that of the 10 outfield players that started last Saturday only Gilbey and Lavelle are contracted for next season.  Its actually a disgrace and it can't be left until July. 
    You're assuming that the contracts were not offered instead of not accepted. It's possible but does not seem likely to me. Even in January there was speculation about Championship interest in Aneke, and Amos had also been linked with a move as well.

Without knowing the exact terms we can't say for sure but signing the likes of McGillivray, Stockley and Kirk suggest we can offer competive enough wages for this level. If the players don't sign, we can't make them. 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Leuth said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Leuth said:

You're assuming that the contracts were not offered instead of not accepted. It's possible but does not seem likely to me. Even in January there was speculation about Championship interest in Aneke, and Amos had also been linked with a move as well.

Without knowing the exact terms we can't say for sure but signing the likes of McGillivray, Stockley and Kirk suggest we can offer competive enough wages for this level. If the players don't sign, we can't make them. 
    It appears not

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-keen-on-aneke-signing-new-contract-as-boss-bowyer-talks-about-impossible-situation/ 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.footballfancast.com/charlton-athletic-news/cafc-latest-news-chuks-aneke-contract-update-steve-gallen-mistake-adkins-future-valley-analysis-opinion-league-one-gossip-rumours/amp

The quotes in the second article are form an interview Bowyer did when he was still here but I can't find the original SLP version. 
  • Options
    "Charlton are expected to open contract talks with Chuks Aneke once the January transfer window has closed."

So in February then, exactly as you (absolutely correctly) said they should. The second article again suggests to me it was at least as much Aneke responsible for waiting as much as the club. He was never going to sign on a L1 wage if he knew we'd offer him more in the championship - and if we didn't, or couldn't, someone else would. 

I do think we can learn from this but I think the club can only do so much. Realistically Sandgaard's got to decide very quickly whether or not to double down on this season or write it off completely, as I 100% agree with the idea that poor planning last season is exactly what caused this one to start poorly. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    I’d be surprised if we got Famewo on a permanent after the start we’ve had. It’s October and we’re already out of the promotion race, I can’t see either parties being as keen as they once were. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    I’d be surprised if we got Famewo on a permanent after the start we’ve had. It’s October and we’re already out of the promotion race, I can’t see either parties being as keen as they once were. 
    There's already an agreement in principle I believe. Plus Famewo will know that he's not exactly covered himself in glory thus far, so not likely to have alternative suitors - he's pretty much got to choose either regular League One football or back into the reserves at Norwich. 

It's far from a given but I can definitely see it still happening personally. 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    There's already an agreement in principle I believe. Plus Famewo will know that he's not exactly covered himself in glory thus far, so not likely to have alternative suitors - he's pretty much got to choose either regular League One football or back into the reserves at Norwich. 

It's far from a given but I can definitely see it still happening personally. 
    I suppose it depends on the fees involved. If it was already agreed and we can afford it, why not just make it permanent in the summer? 

That leads me to believe the deal is contingent on promotion. 

Famewo will have suitors above us, despite his rocky form. Left footed CB’s don’t grow on trees and his ceiling looks particularly high.
  • Options
    All valid points to be fair. Like I say, I think it could happen and certainly I think the club will want it to but I don't think it's definite that it will. 

Depends on money as you say and whether clubs look at him for his current (not great) form or his potential ceiling (much better than current evidence suggests) 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Leuth said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Leuth said:

You forgot Kirk.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Leuth said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Leuth said:

You forgot Kirk.
    Your right I did but 3 isn't much better. 
  • Options
    A young talented number 10 for me. If Lee is injured, we do not really have any players who can play that role in between the lines and dictate play in the final 3rd.
    Oh dear.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We won’t be in any position to attract half decent players at this moment in time 
  • Options
    Alfie May

Banging em in, in league one. 
    28, so experienced and good to go now.
    Small and quick, differential to Stockley.
    Kent boy, played for VCD, Erith, Bromley etc.
  • Options
    Alfie May

4 goals in 18 according to Wiki, is that inaccurate?
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Alfie May

I didn’t look to be honest but his name seems to pop up on Gillette!
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Alfie May

So does Mo Eisa but today was only his 5th.
  • Options
    In answer to the original question, based on the last couple of games we need two or three to come into the first 16.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Alfie May

Brilliant. 'This player can't stop scoring. Well, maybe, I dunno, I haven't checked'. Hope our actual scouting has a little bit more knowledge put into it!
  • Options
    central defender and right back
  • Options
    Center back and another big forward
  • Options
    Telford from Newport. Decent kid, lost his way, doing well this season. Only 24.