Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Men's T20 World Cup 2021

The T20 WC starts on Sunday with Oman v Papua New Guinea followed by Bangladesh v Scotland

It will be interesting to see if the surface will be as slow and low as that in the IPL. At least, as we aren't playing for a week we will get and idea of the sort of team we should be putting out to match the conditions best

Comments

• edited October 2021
    Too many teams & therefore too many matches  

Comp kicks off on Sunday & England don't play until next Saturday. The football WC has 32 teams taking part & yet teams all play within the first week. How many teams taking part in the cricket 20/20  ?  And when did Oman & Papua New Guinea become good enough to play against the usual Test playing nations. Bonkers imo. 
  • Too many teams & therefore too many matches  

Comp kicks off on Sunday & England don't play until next Saturday. The football WC has 32 teams taking part & yet teams all play within the first week. How many teams taking part in the cricket 20/20  ?  And when did Oman & Papua New Guinea become good enough to play against the usual Test playing nations. Bonkers imo. 
    There are 8 teams already through to the Group stages:

Australia
    England
    Afghanistan
    India
    N Z
    South Africa
    Pakistan
    West Indies

There are a further 8 teams of which 4 will join that above teams in the Group stages:

Bangladesh
    Ireland
    Oman
    Papua New Guinea
    Scotland
    Netherlands
    Sri Lanka
    Namibia

The top 2 teams from the 2 groups of 6 teams will reach the semi-finals

The whole competition will be over in 4 weeks with the Final on Sunday 14th November
  • 2 groups of 4 teams or 6?
  • edited October 2021
    Can't wait to see how Lordswood's finest gets on tomorrow night!
  • 2 groups of 4 teams or 6?
    See above 2 Groups of 6
  • Oman win the toss v PNG and elect to field

Dont's expect PNG to get more than 130

130 was, perhaps, being ambitious.

After 2 overs PNG are 1-2 with both openers out already!
  • Great start. In the first over, Chris Gaffney calls "over" after 5 balls and the other Umpire doesn't tell him. So the very first over in the WC is a 5 ball over 
    Perhaps the ECB have declared it to be a 100 baller match..?
  • edited October 2021
    0-2 to 81-2

Then a suicidal run out for Amini who hit 37 off 26. Amini can consider himself unlucky with the direct hit because Oman's fielding has been absolutely woeful

• Sponsored links:

• Zeeshan's first ball and he injures the non striker fielding the ball. It's all happening here I tell yer!
  • Pedro45 said:
    Can't wait to see how Lordswood's finest gets on tomorrow night!
    Calum MacLeod, a former Bexley player of course. As is Matt Cross. 
  • edited October 2021
    Oman win the toss v PNG and elect to field

Good to see PNG fulfilled my prediction with ease!

0-2 to 81-2 to 102-3 to 129-9 off 20 

In his first over Zeeshan went for 12. In his next 3 overs he took 4-8

*Generous round of applause*
  • Oman win by 10 wickets in 13.4 overs
  • Bangladesh have won the toss and asked Scotland to bat. My prediction for Scotland is 144
  • cant wait for this to get going after a couple of weeks of great IPL 
  • Scotland cannot lay a bat on the ball. One scoring shot from the first 16 balls and 5-1
  • Some pretty brainless cricket from Scotland at 52-5 off 11
  • Make that 53-6

Being totally outclassed
  • Sponsored links:

• 2 Kentish Scots doing their best to keep their country's total anywhere near respectable. 

MacLeod in now on 5 n o & George Munsey, current top scorer, out for a battling 29.

Scotland now 52-5 off 11 overs. 

Ooops. Make that 53-6 . Bye Macca ......
  • Great start. In the first over, Chris Gaffney calls "over" after 5 balls and the other Umpire doesn't tell him. So the very first over in the WC is a 5 ball over 
    I have to admit that I have done the Umpires a disservice. I was just watching the Scotland game and Calum Macleod came into bat and somehow managed to be on one having not faced a ball. I wound it back to check and sure enough he hadn't faced a ball. Or rather the TV coverage hadn't shown him facing a ball. Following the wicket the coverage cut to an advert or rather three adverts during which time MacCleod had faced a ball and got off the mark.

So I checked the first over of the PNG innings. This time it wasn't an advert the culprit but the TV coverage again - this time they failed to recognise the 4th ball of the innings as having been bowled.

Apologies to all and the Umpires in particular but even the commentator was fooled
  • Bangladesh have won the toss and asked Scotland to bat. My prediction for Scotland is 144
    Scotland recover to put up a total of 140-9
  • Only four out. Good prediction.
  • 2 wickets down now with 2 catches by Kent's Munsey ! 

18 - 2 
  • And another one bites the dust...

...and another catch " made in Kent" from MacLeod.

65-3 in the 12th over.
  • Another catch by MacLeod.

25 required from 9 balls now
  • And another for Macca! 
  • A victory for our Scottish/Kentish lads by 6 runs .

Great stuff & good match to watch.
  • In addition to Ireland v Netherlands and Sri Lanka v Namibia, there are a number of warm up games taking place including, starting at 3.00pm and covered by Sky, one between England and India which, I hope, will be a real indicator of how we are going to play in the WC