Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Are We Getting Relegated?

Comments

• Options
    Doncaster have got to beat us sometime.  Them doing it Saturday would throw a spanner in the works.
    I'm expecting a bottom 6 finish.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    Yeah, lets write this season off like we did the last one after we didnt get rid of Bowyer quick enough.

As things stand we are still in the bottom 4 & have won 3 games out of 13. We have a big 6 pointer coming up followed by a team in the top 6. Then tough games against another bottom 6 side (Shrews) and then the league leaders.

Come the start of Dec we could still be in the bottom 4. 

I'll not be making any predictions on where we'll finish this season until I see a consistent side & consistent good performances......which might not be until the New Year.

I'm certainly not writing this season off ! 96 points still to play for and nothing is decided yet. I wouldnt be surprised if we picked up 73 points from that 96
    I think you are the only one on that.
    Yup more than likely mate but I'm far too optimistic lol plus I just cant see this squad not winning far more games than they lose or draw. For whatever reason they havent been playing so far but I dont think there are many teams better in this league if they do click and I think they will
  • Options
    I think we could finish anywhere between 6th and 22nd

I.e. a small but genuine chance of the playoffs (but not one of the higher teams there), and a small chance of relegation (but again there will be at least 2 worse teams)
  • Options
    Hope mendonca in asdas brings this post up Ormiston styley and rams it down my throat (ooooerrrrr) as we march in to the play offs 
    Sorry to disappoint Ooey, I’m not putting anything down your throat!
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Sunderland in the playoffs, could it be anything else? I have had my heart broken 3 times by women, why shouldn't Sunderland be the same?
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Here is a snapshot of the league table at roughly the same point last year.

The eventual top six are highlighted. Oxford lost 8 of their first 13, Blackpool lost 7 of their first 13.

Long way to go yet. Top half is more than achievable - I refuse to set my sights higher than that until we get there.

I see selective history is at work here.

Indeed both Oxford & Blackpool were in "similar" positions to us, but they had won more games at that point & therefore amassed more points than we currently have.

If I was bring critical (moi ?) I could say that you might want to look at the bottom 4 of that table as that gives a better perspective. 3 of the bottom 4 got relegated - Burton being the survivors after Jimmy "big pants" Hasselbaink took them on an amazing run from xmas onwards.

I'm afraid currently we are more akin to the bottom 4 than to Oxford & Blackpool & we need to try to emulate Burton rather than look at what Oxford & Blackpool did. That is more the marker as we have not won as many games as those 2 did. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There's no reason why this team, if they put the effort in like they did at Sunderland and defend well can't fly up the table. If we can beat Doncaster that'll be 2 consecutive wins and 3 wins in 5. 

Look at Ipswich, they were below us a few weeks back, now after 10 points from 4 games they are up to 10th.
  • Options

The eventual top six are highlighted. Oxford lost 8 of their first 13, Blackpool lost 7 of their first 13.

Long way to go yet. Top half is more than achievable - I refuse to set my sights higher than that until we get there.

I see selective history is at work here.

Indeed both Oxford & Blackpool were in "similar" positions to us, but they had won more games at that point & therefore amassed more points than we currently have.

If I was bring critical (moi ?) I could say that you might want to look at the bottom 4 of that table as that gives a better perspective. 3 of the bottom 4 got relegated - Burton being the survivors after Jimmy "big pants" Hasselbaink took them on an amazing run from xmas onwards.

I'm afraid currently we are more akin to the bottom 4 than to Oxford & Blackpool & we need to try to emulate Burton rather than look at what Oxford & Blackpool did. That is more the marker as we have not won as many games as those 2 did. 
    Only Bristol rovers went down from that bottom 4
  • Options
    If you look at our points over the last 46 games we would have finished about 15-17th, based on last season.

It was our form in the first 10 last season that stopped us being dragged into a relegation battle and our form in the last 10 that nearly got us in the play offs.  The middle 26 was relegation form.

We could, as others have said, finish pretty much anywhere.   
  • Options

What a fucking bottle-job by Bows, ayy
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    We had a great win at Sunderland but we are still 22nd. JJ will  make us competitive and if we can keep injuries to a minimum then we will move up the table.
    If we are in the top half of the table that will be a great achievement after these players were told after just a few games they weren't fit to wear the shirt.

Here and now we are in the bottom 4 so we need to see the "worse cafc team in living memory" prove they are decent League 1 players who can play with cohesion and play to "the standard" set by JJ.

Personally I don't believe any one will do a better job than Jackson for the rest of this season. 

• Options
    edited October 2021
    Draw for Donnie tonight is good as was their game in hand and they are still below us. Big game Saturday!
  • Options
    There's no reason why this team, if they put the effort in like they did at Sunderland and defend well can't fly up the table. If we can beat Doncaster that'll be 2 consecutive wins and 3 wins in 5. 

Look at Ipswich, they were below us a few weeks back, now after 10 points from 4 games they are up to 10th.
    Just as importantly, Ipswich are now only 4 points behind 6th position.

• Options
    not getting relegated with Jacko in charge - it's still our only focus at this stage. 
  • Options
    mascot88 said:
    not getting relegated with Jacko in charge - it's still our only focus at this stage. 
    He won't be thinking about what may or may not happen at the end of the season.
    I would bet Jacko's only focus right now ...... is 3 points on Saturday.

One game at a time, win it. 

Nothing else will matter this week.

• Options
    It’s too early to say. But all we need to do is take 3 points more than those immediately above and below us. Anything more is brilliant and not to be sneezed at. But for now get to 20th and stay there or higher.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    When Jacko got the reigns (before the Sunderland match) I said to my sons bearing in mind the fixtures we’ve got coming up, how many points would be a good points tally for the next 3 games.

I thought 4 points would be good, we’ve got 3 so far (against Sunderland) so maybe 1 point from the next 2 games.

Not what you want to hear after just getting a win, as we’re all looking forward to Saturday and Under Johnnie and Jase are almost expecting one.

I haven’t actually seen a league win this season, so have got the right hump at the moment and am going stir crazy for one!

What would those  3 games have yielded under Nigel, the way it was going 1 point perhaps?

Never nice for a manager to lose their job, but it simply had to be done.

I know I’m bonkers, but i genuinely believe we can make the playoffs, anyone know the odds?
  • Options
    18/1 with skybet to make top 6
  • Options
    The more I think about it the more split about I become.  Almost to the stage of I don't see any scenario happening where we finish mid table and are on the beach come April. 

We have been, or it certainly feels like it, in either promotion or relegation form for an extended run for ever.   We don't seem to have much middle ground. 

For about 7 or 8 years we have been awful in November and December as well, for multiple reasons.

Peters, Luzon, Robinson, Bowyer and Adkins have all produced spells of really good form, then for an array of reasons it's not only tailed off its complety collapsed.   They all ended up in a situation where they couldn't stop the rot.
  • Options
    When Jacko got the reigns (before the Sunderland match) I said to my sons bearing in mind the fixtures we’ve got coming up, how many points would be a good points tally for the next 3 games.

I thought 4 points would be good, we’ve got 3 so far (against Sunderland) so maybe 1 point from the next 2 games.

Not what you want to hear after just getting a win, as we’re all looking forward to Saturday and Under Johnnie and Jase are almost expecting one.

I haven’t actually seen a league win this season, so have got the right hump at the moment and am going stir crazy for one!

What would those  3 games have yielded under Nigel, the way it was going 1 point perhaps?

Never nice for a manager to lose their job, but it simply had to be done.

I know I’m bonkers, but i genuinely believe we can make the playoffs, anyone know the odds?
    Automatic form, 2 points a game, for the rest of the season, will get us in the play offs. 
  • Options
    edited October 2021

Different manager, new players in and out, but that’s  quite a dramatic difference to go from being 3rd top a year ago, to 3rd bottom a season later?

Hope we don’t get an injury pile up as per normal, or we’ll be stuffed!
  • Options
    top half at 9/4 I have lumped on ... looks a big price to me
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    CAFCsayer said:
    top half at 9/4 I have lumped on ... looks a big price to me

After the Accrington Stanley 3-2 defeat at the Valley, the consensus was this was the worse cafc team ever ! I heard some Cafc gamblers took out relegation insurance bets on Cafc being in League 2 next season as they felt Adkins wouldn't be sacked until it was too late and the players were all shite anyway.

I felt the team was poor with no leadership under Nigel Adkins this season but I have never felt individually the players were poor.
    In fact many had potential including Dobson who was written off after two games.

They needed someone to galvanize them and turn the players into a team where everyone knows their role.

Johnnie Jackson is the best person to do this as he will bring back some fight and respect to the club.
    Leko playing right wing back was an amazing gamble by JJ as was playing 3-5-2.
    It took Johnson and Sunderland by surprise. As Johnnie wants players to keep the shirt he may go with the same personal and formation next time. It won't be a surprise for the Donny manager so the players will have to perform to the same high "standard".

Saying JJ is the cheap option is pejorative as I believe he is the best option.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Just got to win on Saturday. Nothing else matters.

And if we do get those 3 points, chances are we'll be out of the bottom 4 - and looking up.

Don't forget the mental impact of 2 wins on the spin ..... players will be buzzing, confidence returning.
    But first, just got to win on Saturday!

Agreed, Saturday's game is almost season defining

Win, and it's 2 wins on the spin and massive positive energy in the team, and behind Jackson. Teams like Rotherham will see us as someone to be feared

Lose though, and all the goodwill from Sunderland will evaporate. We'll be stuck in the bottom TWO, and Doncaster will be on a nice run themselves (7 out of 9)