Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Losing the dressing room....

What exactly does this mean
Easily banded about
After we won at Fleetwood and seeing the reaction of Arter and Co - I thought Adkins clearly Has the dressing room
Went to Lincoln yesterday and I really don't have a clue now
We all know that footballers are a 'precious ' lot 
So is it the Manager - or is it both??

Comments

• Options
    Only one way to find out
  • Options
    I will only state that it's extremely careless.

After all, where would it go ?

:smile:
    Where would the players change?
  • Options
    Easily banded about
    After we won at Fleetwood and seeing the reaction of Arter and Co - I thought Adkins clearly Has the dressing room
    For one manager to lose a dressing room in a matter of months is careless, for the same dressing room to be lost in months becomes a pattern. 
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    We all know about Brian Clough at Leeds ..

losing the dressing room is a gentler term for 'players have lost all respect for the manager' and loss of respect all too easily becomes treats with contempt.
     I'm sure we all have had managers at one time or another who were a total dead loss. I know I have and my work and that of my colleagues suffered as a consequence. One still gets things done but all the 'joy' of work disappears, work becomes a drag and you may start to do just the minimum to get by, or actively look for another job and then a whispering campaign starts and  hateful things about the manager are said behind his back and then even in his hearing. Bad enough in any workplace, in an environment like a football club where interdependence is crucial, change needs to happen a s a p, either new players or new managerial staff must be brought in.

I made a comment elsewhere on here about my observations on the team just leaving their coach (transport lol) yesterday. All just did not seem at all well between players and the manager 
  • Options
    I don't think he has lost the dressing room, I think we just play shit football and not to the players strengths.  We also have too many who are just bad players.

Bowyer I think did lose the dressing room by slagging them off all the time.
  • Options
    “Footballers are a precious lot” is another phrase that gets banded around without much merit as well. 

I don’t know if the dressing room has been lost, but it just feels as though that no matter how much quality or experience there is, it just isn’t clicking. Aren’t many natural leaders in the squad. 
  • Options
    I don't think he has lost the dressing room, I think we just play shit football and not to the players strengths.  We also have too many who are just bad players.

Bowyer I think did lose the dressing room by slagging them off all the time.
    Maybe it's a case of losing the respect of the players , AC. 

If that is lost, then they are likely to be listening to his orders with just one ear with their minds elsewhere. 

Not a great recipe for success IMO.

Mutual respect needs to be re-established ASAP if NA stays. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You can lose a dressing room for different reasons and to different degrees. You can be too nasty or too nice. The common denominator in losing a dressing room is poor results. We know that human nature dictates it is somebody else's fault. 

You can have players not liking a manager and not busting a gut for them. Or you can have them thinking the manager is useless. This is not the way to get a team spirit going and one thing that can help is senior pros calling a crisis meeting and getting a positive vibe and spirit going.

I don't know if this is happening or has happened, but if the players including the senior players are complaining about a manager behind his back a performance like Saturday and they are being proven right and it escalates. 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    When I was a kid my Sunday team played home games at Deptford Park. The old changing rooms got demolished (due to a fire, I think) and in its place we had to get changed in a container,  the sort you get on the back of lorry's and on cargo ships. No plumbing or anything, just a couple of benches with hooks. 

Then we turned up for a game one day and the container had gone. We had literally lost the dressing room.

I might be wrong, but Im pretty sure the phrase originated on that same cold winters day in the 80s.
    Where had it gone Dave?

• Options
    They need to stick up some signs at Sparrows Lane and the Valley

Might stop happening so often!!
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    When I was a kid my Sunday team played home games at Deptford Park. The old changing rooms got demolished (due to a fire, I think) and in its place we had to get changed in a container,  the sort you get on the back of lorry's and on cargo ships. No plumbing or anything, just a couple of benches with hooks. 

Then we turned up for a game one day and the container had gone. We had literally lost the dressing room.

I might be wrong, but Im pretty sure the phrase originated on that same cold winters day in the 80s.
    Was that the little playing field surrounded by high rise flats?

There was one we played on around there somewhere and we had to get changed in our motors. Would've been around 1990 / 91
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Off_it said:

Was that the little playing field surrounded by high rise flats?

There was one we played on around there somewhere and we had to get changed in our motors. Would've been around 1990 / 91
    Might've been. Here's a picture of it now (from Wikipedia).

The little fence goes around what was an old athletics track and the main pitch was in the middle. It used to have two metal drain covers on the pitch - one in each half. Yep, that's right, a metal drain cover in the middle of a football pitch - two of them. 

We used to play in a Dartford league so all the other teams came from that way and turned up in mini-buses with a full entourage of supporters, etc. We had my dad, the manager and one other supporting us! 

I'd like to say that all this gave us a "edge" and that we gave teams a sound beating on our rubbish pitch with no facilities and no fans. But unfortunately that just isn't true.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    I think the players are as much blame for the catastrophe this season is quickly turning into, but we can’t sack all of the players so the manager gets it.
    Agree with that, they certainly can be better based on talent alone but there are being set up all wrong and being told to play a way that isnt working!
  • Options
    Who was the last Charlton manager who didn't have accusations of losing the dressing room?  Riga the first time? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

" I can see there’s a group of players, as demonstrated in parts of the 2nd half, with a desire to work hard in situations that aren’t ideal"

The most interesting quote Adkins has said. 
  • Options
    I don't think he has fully lost the dressing room but he has certainly lost the plot along with the players.

We've regressed to a state far worse than anything under bowyer. We can't get out our half and then just hump it long and we still can't fucking defend. When Adkins first came in he got us up the pitch quickly and playing in opponents half and now we've gone backwards. Curbs has nailed it when he said there's nothing worse than being set up to play short from goal kicks then having to go long. Just get up the fucking pitch and play in their half because we look half decent when we actually do.

It was interesting Adkins saying before the match "that players need to stand up and not hide when they're at a big club like Charlton or they can just go to a small club and go through the motions". The players on the pitch today at least looked like they tried but we have no plan, identity or confidence and that's on him and the coaching staff.

Whatever is going on this utter shambles needs to end and now.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Fair play to Accrington, they were better than us on the night imo and deserved to win, but letting in 3 goals at home too Accrington is a crime in itself and deserves the boot.

We’ve had a shocking start , 8 defeats in 13 league games and have gone from bad to worse, this is a nightmare that is not going away any time soon.

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark.
  • Options
    Fair play to Accrington, they were better than us on the night imo and deserved to win, but letting in 3 goals at home too Accrington is a crime in itself and deserves the boot.

We’ve had a shocking start , 8 defeats in 13 league games and have gone from bad to worse, this is a nightmare that is not going away any time soon.

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark.
    Maybe it's time for another TS Zoom with the fans.
  • Options

" I can see there’s a group of players, as demonstrated in parts of the 2nd half, with a desire to work hard in situations that aren’t ideal"

The most interesting quote Adkins has said. 
    Things aren't going against us - this is laughable bullshit peddled by a fraud.
    He's setting up inadequate players in a shape they are woefully ill equipped to fulfil.
    It would be a high risk strategy, even with the best back 4 in the division.
    Coleman is pragmatic to the extreme and makes the best from what he has.
    Adkins is just a prat.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    You get the impression that Adkins has been quite well liked by most of the players.
    Some described him as a breath of fresh air soon after taking from Bowyer.

But it's obvious that the players are confused by the set up and gameplan.
    They know it's not working - the team are set up to be ran through in midfield, the defence unprotected, players too far apart all over the park.

As a player, it must be challenging to have a set up, gameplan and follow instructions that are clearly not working.

• Options
    It is more than possible, in fact likely, that many players, like fans may have changed from being positive about Adkins last season to being less positive this. It is generally what happens when you go on the sort of run we have been on. 
  • Options
    It is bullshit and it's an excuse.

The players should still be trying their best and doing everything they can. Internal fallouts do happen, but they should get over it and at least remain on the same side.

So, Adkins located the dressing room....and then, out of nowhere, he "lost it" and the players unite and tell each other that they don't like him anymore? They are too good for his coaching methods?

It is the modern age of unprofessional knobheads - domino affect of whinging about things.

Adkins has to go, but everyone involved is equally at fault for our demise. 

Take responsibility?...or just run off and hide?

• Options
    Easily banded about
    Look. It was a challenging game. I was knackered. My memory isn't what it was. I turned left instead of right. Just leave it.