Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Stop burning your bras!!!!

WSSWSS
edited July 2007 in General Charlton
Charlton revealed on Friday that they have secured sponsorship to enable the women's academy and centre of excellence to continue its operation for the next three seasons at least.

However, it has not yet been possible to obtain the necessary funding to rescue the female first team, though the club is continuing with its efforts to find a potential sponsor.

The Addicks declared the closure of its women's set-up on June 26th due to the financial constraints of relegation from the Premiership - but the latest announcement means that pupils enrolled in the club's education programmes will be able to carry on with their studies undisturbed.

Charlton chief executive Peter Varney explained: "I would like to thank Canterbury High School, Greenwich Council, London Leisure College, the Football Association and the Premier League as well as the parents of children attending the academy and centre of excellence for their financial support, without which this announcement would not have been possible.

"I must also thank the Valley Gold Committee for underwriting £10,000 towards the cost of playing kit.

"Much of the funding is for a three-year period and we will secure the future of the academy and centre of excellence by establishing a new stand-alone trust which will be independent of the football club.

"A management committee will be set up comprising representatives of all the funding partners and this will ensure the future is secure for both areas."

Varney added: "I am disappointed that it has not been possible to secure funding for a women's first team to retain our place in the Women's Premier League but we remain hopeful that a sponsor can be found, although unfortunately time is not on our side."

Comments

• Options
    So Valley Gold will not only be underwriting 'legends in the making' through our Youth Academy but our Women's team also.......

Good old Valley Gold! :-)
  • Options
    Havnt a ton of the players just signed for CFC though?
  • Options
    No funds yet for Ladies first team ........
  • Options
    HAHAHAHA

I am going to enjoy the outcry from the Valley Golders that they are subsidising women's football. This is going to be good.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]HAHAHAHA

I am going to enjoy the outcry from the Valley Golders that they are subsidising women's football. This is going to be good.
    my dad has actually just text me:

"funding the bloody women's team now"
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]HAHAHAHA

my dad has actually just text me:

"funding the bloody women's team now"

at least they can continue to say they are helping to fund players that have a chance of making a charlton first team...
  • Options
    As a Valley Golder, I am quite happy to help fund the women's academy!!
  • Options
    i am not a VG holder.. so i can't really have a say... but if i was i wouldn't be happy
  • Options
    £10,000 towards the playing kit!
    how many of them are there?