Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Greenwich Pleasuance

edited October 2021 in Not Sports Related
We had a thread asking about the building close to the entrance to this park and burial ground recently.

For those not familiar with the place, it has a strong naval history with hundreds of naval casualties being reinterred there as the Naval Hospital grounds were reused, it has also gravestones for the more recent but still old (can’t remember seeing 1920 on a headstone) naval deceased and their families.

I walk the dogs there often.

Today, unexpectedly for me just out walking the dogs there was a full memorial service to commemorate the death of Admiral Lord Nelson. In addition to the service, which I stayed for, there was a flyby of a biplane (I didn’t get photos) just before the Last Post and remembrance silence. 

Even though the service will not be there, if you are in the area (say visiting Trevor’s excellent River Ale House just across the road before a game) it’s worth a look both for the history and to remember those who have fought for everything we take for granted.

oh and the cafe is good as well 😁 (I’m not the owner and don’t go there enough tbf)

Comments

• Options
    Not a great photo but seemed rather disrespectful to take more 
  • Options
    The wonderful Rev John Philpott-Howard, if I am not mistaken.
  • Options
    I was involved with the Friends of East Greenwich Pleasuance group there when it was set up and spent a considerable pot of European money.

Also at the time we relocated a naval themed mosaic that used to adorn the old GDH before it was knocked down suffering from concrete cancer (and replaced by a crashed space ship). Greenwich planners don’t seem to consider local character. Anyway it was relocated to small green almost opposite.
  • Options
    I grew up around the corner from there, it was run-down for years and considered little more than a place to empty the dog - it got a lot of love in the years after (as @razil mentions) and the cafe helped transform it too. Really good to see its history being appreciated these days too.
  • Options
    Here's a link to a detailed history.

Pieter van der Merwe’s history of the Pleasaunce | Friends of East Greenwich Pleasaunce (fegp.org)

By the way ... it's 'Pleasaunce'.
  • Options
    razil said:
    I was involved with the Friends of East Greenwich Pleasuance group there when it was set up and spent a considerable pot of European money.

Also at the time we relocated a naval themed mosaic that used to adorn the old GDH before it was knocked down suffering from concrete cancer (and replaced by a crashed space ship). Greenwich planners don’t seem to consider local character. Anyway it was relocated to small green almost opposite.
    I take your point but there was nothing architecturally to commend the Greenwich District Hospital. 
  • Options
    how is it that some people are always involved in some charity or group or society or something or other ? how did u get involved in this razil? just intrigued as to how certain characters always seem to be involved in these sorts of things - not saying its bad, just don't get how it works 
  • Options
    Not a great photo but seemed rather disrespectful to take more 
    The short woman at the back was clearly offended by you … she’s giving you the fingers .
  • Options
    I was meant to be there on Saturday, with my 96 year old neighbour...unfortunately he was too ill to attend... You're pretty much looking at my back garden there....
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    how is it that some people are always involved in some charity or group or society or something or other ? how did u get involved in this razil? just intrigued as to how certain characters always seem to be involved in these sorts of things - not saying its bad, just don't get how it works 
    lol, "some people" "certain characters" - I see... :smile:

As a local (born in GDH) and someone who cares about their local community I guess. Initially helped with a scheme that cleaned up our street which was opposite the road next to EGP, and via Mary Mills the now ex councillor I and others were invited on to the Liveability scheme that spent the EU money.