Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bury fans have bought Gigg Lane and the club.

Good news for this historic club.

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2021
    Isn't it just, good luck to them.
  • Options
    Great news. Well done
  • Options
    Excellent.  They may be short of cash for a hit man now though...

I feel a justgiving campaign coming on!
  • Options
    Amazing news 
  • Options
    Has it been confirmed?

Last I read it was just heads of agreement but due diligence hadn't taken place.

Also it was fans and some unknown overseas investors.
  • Options
    Has it been confirmed?

Last I read it was just heads of agreement but due diligence hadn't taken place.

Also it was fans and some unknown overseas investors.
    It has been on a few news feeds, 51% of shares are owned by the supporters.
  • Options

EFL COLUMN
    BURY GOOD 

Bury want fairytale return to football next season with fans owning 51 per cent of club in German-style model

• 7:00, 25 Oct 2021
    • Updated: 16:20, 25 Oct 2021

BURY want their fairytale return to football next season to be a blueprint for EFL clubs to follow.

The Shakers are going to use a German-style model where fans will be guaranteed a 51 per cent share of the club with a 49 per cent cap on financial benefactors.

Bury FC and their Gigg Lane stadium is finally being rescued by fans group Est1885
    Bury FC and their Gigg Lane stadium is finally being rescued by fans group Est.1885

It means no single person can come in, recklessly run up huge debts and scarper – like Stewart Day did when he sold Bury to Steve Dale for £1 in 2018 with debts of at least £12million.

The club were booted out of the League two-years-ago after Dale failed to provide proof of funds ahead of their 2019-20 League One campaign.

But on Friday, fans group Est.1885 signed heads of terms with administrators to buy their Gigg Lane stadium as well as the intellectual property of Bury FC, trading name, history and assets.

The Shakers, who somehow avoided liquidation after surviving three winding-up orders, will clear its football creditor debts in accordance with FA guidance.

And if the deal goes through, as is expected, the new owners should have the keys before Christmas.

From the S*n

So not done as yet.

• Options
    Brilliant news hope this all goes through and works out for Bury.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This fantastic news I'm so pleased for them and hopefully will create a model that others will follow. They may not ever be able to compete financially with the top end but atleast their fans will have a club that is ethical and sustainable in how it operates and personally I think that has far more value than selling its soul 
  • Options
    Sounds promising.  Good luck to them.  

Feels to me as though footy is going two ways, top clubs with increasingly rich (and typically overseas) owners buying success and PL status and smaller clubs going fan owned (or part owned).

Where we will fit into that in the longer term is not so clear!
  • Options
    Let's hope it goes through. And let's hope the overseas investor's name does not have a mention in any of the Dossiers.

Then the second stage is integrating Bury AFC. By all logic they should come together and bring that team and club back to Gigg Lane, they are flying at the top of their league. Otherwise Bury would have to start again as Bury AFC have done, and compete with them, which to the outsider seems beyond absurd. But if you listen to Kieran Maguire and others, the rift between the two sides is very big and bitter. Crossing fingers that people can be big enough to cross the divide.
  • Options
    Let's hope it goes through. And let's hope the overseas investor's name does not have a mention in any of the Dossiers.

Then the second stage is integrating Bury AFC. By all logic they should come together and bring that team and club back to Gigg Lane, they are flying at the top of their league. Otherwise Bury would have to start again as Bury AFC have done, and compete with them, which to the outsider seems beyond absurd. But if you listen to Kieran Maguire and others, the rift between the two sides is very big and bitter. Crossing fingers that people can be big enough to cross the divide.
    Yeah it's all a bit confusing. 

Bury have a ground but no players or even a league to play in.
    AFC Bury have a club and players but no ground.

You'd like to think they can work something out so AFC Bury can just move to Gigg Lane. Otherwise if Bury start again you'll just have two Bury's in the 10th tier (or wherever they are).
  • Options
    If this comes off, I wish them all the luck in the world, EXCEPT, if they ever again play us
  • Options
    Really hope there is a happy ending..good luck to them 
  • Options

Yeah it's all a bit confusing. 

Bury have a ground but no players or even a league to play in.
    AFC Bury have a club and players but no ground.

You'd like to think they can work something out so AFC Bury can just move to Gigg Lane. Otherwise if Bury start again you'll just have two Bury's in the 10th tier (or wherever they are).
    Well hopefully their fans aren't anything like ours, otherwise they will have supporters clubs all over the show all competing against each other and slagging each other off, with nobody prepared to back down for the greater good. 

My guess is that, sadly, they will end up with two clubs that will effectively split the (already small) fan base in half and end up doing nobody any good. I hope I'm wrong.
  • Options
    lolwray said:
    Really hope there is a happy ending..good luck to them 
    don't we all ....
  • Options
    Fingers crossed the 2 groups of Bury football fans can at last bury ( ;) ) the hatchet and cooperate...
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2022/aug/22/bury-at-a-crossroads-over-historic-merger-but-fans-remain-hopeful-of-homecoming 

And if a certain lawyer offers pro bono help with the merger, I hope they remember that you tend to get what you pay for in this world! https://thecharltondossier.com/chris-farnell/ 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options