Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

On this day, 35 years ago

2»

Comments

• Options
    aliwibble said:
    My Dad was there for that, but wouldn't let me go to the game. Allegedly when Melrose scored, he jumped up and cheered but practically no-one else near him did. Not sure how he managed that.
    @Off_it, if you can dig out the video at some point, I might be able to convert it to mp4, although I make no promises on the quality.
    That's a very kind offer. I suspect that there's not much you could do to the quality of my recording to make it any worse than it was - makes the clip above look like HD quality!
  • Options
    Well what happened there Alvin, made my breakfast complete. 
    What's even funnier is that during the warm up he was banging on about how "Charlton have a reputation for sitting back and soaking up a lot of pressure".

9 seconds in and it's "Well, what happened there Alvin?"
  • Options
    Was in the North Bank could hardly contain myself, great performance, my WH mate was well impressed with Charlton that day.
  • Options
    Quite a few lads with White hankies on head including me and my lot. Cant for the life of me remember why.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Went to this with @guinnessaddick and a Hamster mate of ours. We didn’t want to leave him on his own, so we said we’d get seats along the side of the main stand and towards the Charlton end. We assumed they’d be quite civilised in the seats.  We were very wrong!! Some right Neanderthals were in that section and already baying at the Charlton fans next to them.  

We looked at out mate, said sorry and left him there.  Spoke to a steward and explained and he walked us out and round to the away end.  We’d just got to the top of the stairs and onto the terrace as we nicked the ball and scored. Absolute mayhem as we all went mad. Looking back at where we’d just been sitting and all the Hamsters were going mad. Wouldn’t have been the best place to be for us at that moment 🤦🏻‍♂️😂😂
  • Options
    Was sat in the seats above The Chicken Run in with the West Ham lot (on a mate's season ticket). Gave it the full out of the seat job, bellow, arms aloft etc. Got some funny looks but got away with it, probably because everyone was stunned. 

• Options
    Good to see that the Boleyn Tavern has re-opened after a £1.5 million makeover, had a couple of pints in there before the game.
  • Options
    Unusually for me I was in the North Bank with my West Ham workmate. Think we won every game in October up to then, so was confident, although all the hamsters around me were expecting an easy win. 

I could be wrong but think I saw @Miserableoldgit in the North Bank too. North Bank actually clapped Walshies goal.

A great day. Aizlewood ran the midfield that day. 
  • Options
    Unusually for me I was in the North Bank with my West Ham workmate. Think we won every game in October up to then, so was confident, although all the hamsters around me were expecting an easy win. 

I could be wrong but think I saw @Miserableoldgit in the North Bank too. North Bank actually clapped Walshies goal.

A great day. Aizlewood ran the midfield that day. 
    Snap.....see above.
  • Options
    Fascinating how many of us were incognito. I was there with Dad in the middle of the main stand. Dad nearly got into a row as think we couldn’t contain ourselves at the early goal. 

We left sharp - I remember because that was so unusual - but Dad was going away for the night to a dinner dance - where he met my future step Mum. I think that’s right @MrDick?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    Anyone got the third goal anywhere?

I remember Person running from the halfway line and everyone stopping because he looked miles off. Then his poor touch made the keeper 60/40 favourite but he stuck out a leg, they both smashed into each other and then he very slowly got up to tap the ball into an empty net and raised his fist to the away end.

Beautiful!
    I used to have the video of this, surprised I didn’t wear it out. This was a proper away game, used to love our games against WH. 9 second goal and they kicked off. 

These sort of games at bigger clubs were new to most of us. 1st season back in Div 1 for years. Went from losing at places like Barnsley and Rotherham to winning here, Old Trafford and nicking the odd point at places we’d only ever dreamt about playing at.
    Me too. My parents bought a copy from West Ham for me but as they only did it on VHS and we had the one surviving Betamax in South East London my old man got it transferred onto Betamax for me. Only for a few months later for us to get a VHS recorder and so he had to get it transferred again - so the quality was terrible but it was my favourite video ever. 

Still got it in the loft somewhere, but nothing to play it on!

If you send it to me I’d find a way to digitise it and send it back. 
  • Options
    I’m not sure if my vhs copy of this went to the museum . I donated a box with a load of old stuff  @Henry Irving may know what happened to it if it did and if it’s possible to get to Ali or Jimmy to do their thing 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Why do those loops into the far corner look better from a left-footer?
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Love the 'What happened there, Alvin?'.  One of the worst bits of commentating ever and all the funnier for it.
  • Options
    Great day that was. If ever there was a player who did what it said on the tin it was Jim Melrose, he came in the season before and scored in his first match (not making this up) a 2-2 draw at Millwall. His goals played a big part in getting us over the line for promotion, and I think he got 15 the following season. I think he moved on because he would have been out of pocket if he sold his house oop north and moved down, real shame.

I nearly got a video of it - a Hammer up our local got given it by his Addick son-in-law for Christmas, I offered to take it off his hands to be told “You’d better hurry, it’s in the dustbin up the Turkeys arse!”
  • Options
    That's OK, now we can read about it twice.