Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Middlesbrough 1960

Just moved house and ripped up the carpets in one of the rooms, it was covered in old newspapers. Found this match on one of the cuttings, boring old Charlton  

Comments

• That Clough sounds good.
  • That Clough sounds good.
    “Good? I’m not saying I’m the best striker in the world but I’m in the top one”
  • edited October 2021
    Bearing in mind that these printed reports appeared on the streets within hours of the final whistle, this is a nice example of how the reporter would file his effort (verbally ... by landline phone) at some stage during the second half.  Hence, minimal detail of the second half ... just the goalscorers.

Also, note how all attendances ... incredibly ... were exact thousands.

I think 6-6 might still be the highest scoring draw ever. 

Where was Buck Ryan when you needed him?
  • Following this, he became a prolific striker for his home town club Middlesbrough scoring 204 goals in 222 league matches for Boro,[13] including 40 or more goals in four consecutive seasons. However, Clough also regularly submitted transfer requests and had a tense relationship with some of his fellow players. He was especially irked by Boro's leaky defence, which conceded goals as regularly as he scored them. After a 6–6 draw against Charlton Athletic, Clough sarcastically asked his teammates how many goals they would have to score in order to win a match.[10] He also publicly accused some of his teammates of betting against the team and deliberately letting in goals.
  • Dave Rudd said:
    Bearing in mind that these printed reports appeared on the streets within hours of the final whistle, this is a nice example of how the reporter would file his effort (verbally ... by landline phone) at some stage during the second half.  Hence, minimal detail of the second half ... just the goalscorers.

Good knowledge. Newspaper was printed Saturday at 5:22pm. It cost 3d. 
  • Missed 2 games in 1960, that one and 6-4 defeat of Plymouth - i think we lost 6-4 to Plymouth a couple  of days later

I was 12  at the time ...
  • Attendances
    Hudds v Liverpool 14,000
    Stoke v Ipswich 8,000.
  • Think that single Charlton middlesbrough game used up a century’s worth of entertainment for that fixture, they’ve been a relentlessly paint drying sleeping pill of an occasion for the last 30 years while I’ve been going - and combined with being i believe our second most played ever opponent, somebody up there LOVES torturing addicks 
  • Sponsored links:

• Think that single Charlton middlesbrough game used up a century’s worth of entertainment for that fixture, they’ve been a relentlessly paint drying sleeping pill of an occasion for the last 30 years while I’ve been going - and combined with being i believe our second most played ever opponent, somebody up there LOVES torturing addicks 
    The 8-1 win against them, seven years previously would have been quite entertaining.  (Although I think Golfie had a bit of a moan about the defending for Boro's goal).  
  • CHG said:
    Just moved house and ripped up the carpets in one of the rooms, it was covered in old newspapers. Found this match on one of the cuttings, boring old Charlton  
    Saw this game,and a few others like it,6-4 v Plymouth,there was also a 7-4 v Portsmouth,which was a bit entertaining.
  • Missed 2 games in 1960, that one and 6-4 defeat of Plymouth - i think we lost 6-4 to Plymouth a couple  of days later

I was also 12 at the time ...I saw all our games at The Valley that season and a few away too.
  • Boro mate doesn't think that Picture 2 is them.

Also, on the subject of those Christmas matches (home and away to Plymouth), you have to wonder how the fixture planners came up with that one.

I guess 'British Rail' was more reliable then.  Or maybe we went by boat?

I was 12  at the time ...
    6-4  Christmas away after we had won the day before  6-4 at home.
    Those were the days.
  • All this 1960s nostalgia is wonderful, of course ... but it overlooks the key point in the original post.

CHG has just moved into a house with carpets laid 60 years ago.

Don't go down into the cellar @CHG ... and that spare room ... you know, the one that is always locked ... ignore the rustling sounds that come from behind the door.
  • Dave Rudd said:
    All this 1960s nostalgia is wonderful, of course ... but it overlooks the key point in the original post.

CHG has just moved into a house with carpets laid 60 years ago.

Don't go down into the cellar @CHG ... and that spare room ... you know, the one that is always locked ... ignore the rustling sounds that come from behind the door.
    Ha ha, yes, exactly. I wondered my my kids went, I haven’t seen them all half term!
  • Dave Rudd said:

Possibly highest draw.  I think we had a 6-6 with Bristol R as well. 
  • Dave Rudd said:

5 all with Rovers in 1978
  • shirty5 said:
    Dave Rudd said:

5 all with Rovers in 1978
    yep, thanks for pointing out, my memory is slipping. 

We certainly have had a fair share of high scoring games.