Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic vs Doncaster Rovers | Saturday 30th October 2021 | Match Preview

Charlton Athletic vs Doncaster Rovers
Saturday 30th October 2021 - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Tim Robinson

Introduction
The reign of Johnnie Jackson may still be that of a temporary one, yet he surely increased his own prospects of securing a long term contract, of course we shouldnt get carried away with the performance in the North East , it surely created some much needed confidence around Sparrows Lane. Its rumoured that Lee Johnson is now looking into getting Steve Brown sent off from the 1998 Play-Off Final, yet whilst he does that, we can now look forward ourselves to what'll be a huge six-pointer of a "relegation" battle as we welcome Doncaster Rovers back to the Valley.

The Opposition
Name: Doncaster Rovers (23rd) | Manager: Richie Wellens
Ground: Keepmoat Stadium
Previous Meeting: Doncaster Rovers 0-1 Charlton Athletic

There is something about Doncaster, Sunderland and now a change of Charlton Management that seem to go hand in hand - Around this time last season, this is almost the third time in successive seasons where we've faced the two sides in succession, 2019 we all know about, whilst last term they were separated by Lincoln City in September / October... We then of course had the beauty of witnessing Nigel Adkins' first official runout in the dugout as an Ian Maatsen goal would continue our late, yet futile charge towards the Play-Offs.

Doncaster that sunny April afternoon were without doubt dangerous, but it was clear that they lacked the fire power to keep up their fading hopes of a finish in the top six - Darren Moore departing to Sheffield Wednesday and the reliance of goals from Omar Bogle meant that Donny ultimately finished poorly and had to settle for 14th spot.

The summer would see a Managerial shake up with Richie Wellens incoming from Salford City, the Manager has had a mediocre time in Management so far, so a return to League Two could well be possible for our opponents this Saturday. Naturally scoring goals has been an issue this term and along with Crewe have the lowest in the league to date; Tommy Rowe (who missed the decisive penalty against the Addicks on that famous evening) is back after a spell with Bristol City and is top scorer with three goals.

Doncaster though shouldnt be underestimated, they only managed a draw with Cambridge on Tuesday night yet created plenty of chances, their issues appear to involve taking those opportunities when they come.

The strong defensive display we saw at the Stadium of Light could well be needed once more this Saturday.

Charlton Team News
So does Jackson stick with the team that rewarded him with such an impressive display last Saturday, or does he continue to mold the team in his image - Fortunately for both him and Jason Euell, he'll have had a full week preparing for this match (rather than just a few days) so we'll hopefully see even greater improvement on the pitch.

Tactically we saw a surprise change in the team with Jonathan Leko operating at Wing-Back and Adam Matthews operating in the heart of the defence for the very first time - Of course there should be at least one change with Jason Pearce no doubt coming in for the injured: Sam Lavelle... For others, well the bar got set against Sunderland so if others want a chance to impress, they'll need to be knocking very loudly at the Managers door

Even then they may not receive an answer!!

MacGillivray
Matthews - Pearce - Famewo
Leko - Dobson - Gilbey - Purrington
Lee
Stockley - Washington

Substitutes Bench: Henderson - Souare - Jaiyesimi - Blackett-Taylor - Davison - Watson - Clare

Prediction
We've seen it before with Caretaker Managers that they can show signs of decent displays, but struggle when given the job on a permanent basis, after all when you look at Kevin Nugent's efforts away from the Valley you'd realise that he was never a realistic figure to take permanent charge - Johnnie Jackson may well be no different, he could on the other hand be the next Alan Curbishley or Chris Powell.

Without a few games we'll never know if thats potentially the case.

But then if clubs always took the safe / experienced option, then some of the world's greatest Managers and Players would never have been given their own opportunity to stamp their mark on the history of the game.

Comments

• Options
    2-0 to Charlton as we continue on our run to mid table and hopefully beyond.
  • Options
    2-0 win. Hopefully it will be less stressful than the last time we played them :).
  • Options
    The resurgence continues.  2-1.  Only 4 wins off the playoffs!
  • Options
    Thanks for the great preview as always. Same team withe the one enforced change of course assuming Sam has not recovered. Taking my 6 year old grandson for his first game. Coming from Norwich so hoping it will be great game, a win and a good atmosphere. Little does he know what I am setting him up for in life! He is so excited.
  • Options
    All my years of Charlton supporting are telling me the usual will happen.

BUT I find myself surprisingly confident that we might of found a method of playing like a team with players that actually give a shit.

3-1 and another helping of Jackon humble pie for me.
  • Options
    Lose 5-0
  • Options
    I’m not a great football tactician, no expert on formations or suchlike but I am a great believer in a united team achieving positive results. With that being the case I am currently believing in our lord and saviour J Jackson resurrecting our season and instilling the belief in his disciples in red to summon up a clean sheet victory. Or just a victory. I know judging his reign by one win out of one is possibly naive but without hope what have you got?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Did anyone else notice how much Purrington has bulked up and how much stronger he was in his challenges?
  • Options
    2-1 to Charlton.
  • Options
    If anything I’m more worried about this game then the Sunderland one. 

As Sage mentions just like every team in this division Doncaster are going to be no push overs. Although that being said we really should have the individual quality on paper to beat them.

However I can’t remember the last time we’ve put on a convincing home performance against ‘weaker’ opposition. I want to see us pretty much dominate from first to last, and leave with another clean sheet win.
  • Options
    Excellent preview as usual FA. 
    So was our victory at Sunderland a one off or was it the start of a winning run to push us up the league. 
    We are about to find out. 
    With a larger than usual crowd getting behind the manager team I'm expecting to see a much improved performance and three very much needed points coming our way.
    3.1 Charlton and hopefully better times ahead. 
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Yup, it all points to a win. 
    Optimism rises. 
    First steps to a top half finish. 

So a 1-1 draw is inevitable with a cloud of uncertainty enveloping us for another few days until we Roger Rotherham.

Scratch that. 
    Rip roaring 3-0 home win with crowd management and players all on top form. 
  • Options
    If anything I’m more worried about this game then the Sunderland one. 

As Sage mentions just like every team in this division Doncaster are going to be no push overs. Although that being said we really should have the individual quality on paper to beat them.

However I can’t remember the last time we’ve put on a convincing home performance against ‘weaker’ opposition. I want to see us pretty much dominate from first to last, and leave with another clean sheet win.
    Crewe, but agree it has been rare for a long time.
  • Options
    Feeling confident about this one, like win and a decent performance confident.  Not to take anything away from Doncaster who have picked up 2 decent results in their last 2, but I think spirits are high now NA has gone and Jackson is ready to grab this opportunity with both hands.

Agree with the team selection and I am looking forward to us playing some more attractive football and hopefully running out 3-0 winners or something like that.

The other thing you have to take into account is that the crowd will be up for it.  It won’t be anywhere near like the atmosphere against Accrington and that will boost the players 
  • Options
    First time in a while I'm looking forward to Saturdays again! Hopefully we can kick on from beating the oompah loompahs Sunderland! 

2-1 Charlton - Washington & Lavelle
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    First time in a while I'm looking forward to Saturdays again! Hopefully we can kick on from beating the oompah loompahs Sunderland! 

2-1 Charlton - Washington & Lavelle
    Sadly I don't think we will see Lavelle this side of Christmas.
  • Options
    Not quite sure the new manager/ Caretaker boss will have as much pull, Doncaster play some good football when they are on it so i will go 1-1 , late equaliser for the visiting side.
  • Options
    The curse of kids for a quid.
    0-0
  • Options
    A pre-match thread full of hope again!

Heart says win, but I predict a score draw, 1-1 reckon. We score first and they peg us back late, although another good performance still keeps the JJ support flowing and renewed calls for his promotion to Manager without the caveats.
  • Options
    Great preview as always, see this as a win. Head says 1-0 heart says 3/4-0. Need to get behind the boys. 
    I have taxed and insured the Bandwagon, Allboard!
    Departs Charlton 5pm Saturday night! 
  • Options
    It is at home to a struggling team but we don't need to chase it. I would treat them in the same way as we treated Sunderland and if they make more errors, we ought to score more goals. Ultimately any win will do though.
  • Options
    Scrappy 0-0 and JJ realises there is still plenty of work to be done
  • Options
    We've won in all our other games against 'relegation rivals'.

Even under Adkins we beat Crewe and Fleetwood so we should really win this game.