Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Paul Smart RIP

Motorcyclists of a certain age will be saddened by the news that Paul Smart was killed in a road traffic accident yesterday, when the motorcycle he was riding was in a collision with a car on the A21 near Flimwell.

I only caught the tail end of his career but one memory was of him racing in the Isle of Man TT when the fairing of his Suzuki 500 came loose. His pit crew ripped it off and he finished the race with the bike "naked".

I also visited his shop in Paddock Wood several times and he was very friendly and chatty.

He was also brother-in-law to Barry Sheene, who married Paul's sister.

Comments

• Options
    RIP
  • Options
    Used to visit his shop in Paddock Wood as i rode Kawasaki triples back in the day.
  • Options
    RIP such sad news - his exploits on that famous Silver and blue air cooled Ducati at Imola are the stuff of legend and it was great to see the actual bike on display in his shop at Paddock Wood. 
  • Options
    Motorcyclists of a certain age will be saddened by the news that Paul Smart was killed in a road traffic accident yesterday, when the motorcycle he was riding was in a collision with a car on the A21 near Flimwell.

I only caught the tail end of his career but one memory was of him racing in the Isle of Man TT when the fairing of his Suzuki 500 came loose. His pit crew ripped it off and he finished the race with the bike "naked".

I also visited his shop in Paddock Wood several times and he was very friendly and chatty.

He was also brother-in-law to Barry Sheene, who married Paul's sister.
    I think Paul married Barry's sister. 
    RIP Paul. 
  • Options

I think Paul married Barry's sister. 
    RIP Paul. 
    Yes, you are right. Brain-fade on my part...
  • Options
    RIP.....A21....not my favourite road.
  • Options
    RIP..a true legend 
  • Options
    Dreadful A road……..in many places barely worthy of an A road classification.😕
  • Options
    Had too many close calls on that road, so I tend to avoid it these days
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    All the roads around here are accident Black spots, that section of the A21, the A229 from Hawkhurst to Staplehurst and the cross roads on the Tenterden Road out of Cranbrook.
  • Options
    Dreadful A road……..in many places barely worthy of an A road classification.😕
    Very true....and don't get me started on the A259.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    On much of the A21 you can only travel at the speed of the vehicle in front…..over taking, unless you have a powerful car with significant acceleration abilities, is a big no no.
  • Options
    I knew the name rang a bell but I couldn't place it.  That is sad news.