Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

It's Boro then...

edited July 2007 in General Charlton
For Luke Young. I hope he likes the Smog

Comments

• Options
    How much?
  • Options
    £2.5M subject to medical.
    Rather a low fee in the current climate ... still, hope he passes the medical.
  • Options
    Dodgy medical record will have a lot to do with the price, good money considering
  • Options
    He's also 28 so there won't be much for them in the way of a sell-on fee when his contract ends, so 2.5 million is not too bad.
  • Options
    It's time for both parties 2 move on,it's a good deal all round and a good return money wise.
  • Options
    If Leighton Baines is worth £6 million then £2.5 million for Luke is an absolute steal.

I accept there are medical questions over Luke but in my opinion he should not have left for less than £4 million, the amount we paid for him. I suppose we are saving wages but I still regard this as a bad bit of business.

If wages are the sole criterion which dilute transfer fees we receive then why don't we let Marcus go on a free right now?
  • Options
    Thing is Len that Baines is just 22 so even if he signs a 4 year deal somewhere he will only be 24 when he might go on the market again which means the buying club can get their money back and maybe even make a big profit. For Luke Young, at 28 this will be his last money move so whatever Boro are paying for him they will not get back. That's the essential difference on the fees.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Thing is Len that Baines is just 22 so even if he signs a 4 year deal somewhere he will only be 24 when he might go on the market again which means the buying club can get their money back and maybe even make a big profit. For Luke Young, at 28 this will be his last money move so whatever Boro are paying for him they will not get back. That's the essential difference on the fees.

yeah same principle as to why the henry and baby bent fee was the same(ish).
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]

If wages are the sole criterion which dilute transfer fees we receive then why don't we let Marcus go on a free right now?

I've got a feeling that pards thinks he could do a job for us - personally I think he is a complete mug along with 99% of addicks - maybe he will prove us wrong - for the good of the club lets hope so.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Thing is Len that Baines is just 22 so even if he signs a 4 year deal somewhere he will only be 24 when he might go on the market again which means the buying club can get their money back and maybe even make a big profit. For Luke Young, at 28 this will be his last money move so whatever Boro are paying for him they will not get back. That's the essential difference on the fees.

I understand and accept all that you say.

The fact is though Luke is an England International at his peak. I therefore don't think he is worth £3.5 million less than Baines even after factoring age and medical considerations.

I maintain £4 million would have been about right given the extra money flooding into the game which is still £2 million less than has been touted for Baines and thus reflects the other considerations you rightly point out.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2007
    If Luke Young is an England international then so is Chris Powell. The fact is that Young was overlooked constantly and players who weren't even right backs played instead of him for the national team. I think all parties will be happy with this deal if it gets completed but that's still a big IF!
  • Options
    Good luck to him. Got on with his job for us and got in the England team a few times. Can't say I'll miss him terribly, but it remains to be seen if the team does. Dependable player who I watched mature on the pitch over the years.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Come on Mart!

Sir Chris is 38. Luke is 28 and it is generally accepted that a defenders best years are 28 to 32. Forget Baines and look at Gareth Bale undoubtedly talented and promising but unproven at the top level.

Is Luke really £3.5 million worse than him?
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    £2.5m is a bit cheap, but he does have a dodgy ankle and I suspect that Pards and Young might not see eye-eye, he was stripped of the captaincy after a late night on the Spanish break last season and fined a couple of weeks wages and I suspect after that he wanted out, that always tends to drag the price down a bit.
  • Options
    Great player although I lost a bit of respect when he wanted to leave last summer.
  • Options
    He was a top money earner at the club so was always going to go.

He's tried his best and set an example at times when other, older and more experienced players bottled it. So fair play to him.

I'd rather have the application of 1 Luke Young than a thousand Marcus Bents.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Come on Mart!

Sir Chris is 38. Luke is 28 and it is generally accepted that a defenders best years are 28 to 32. Forget Baines and look at Gareth Bale undoubtedly talented and promising but unproven at the top level.

Is Luke really £3.5 million worse than him?

Len, Luke doesn't stand much chance of playing in a proper England game, barring the return of the Black Death! When clubs buy players such as Bale and Baines they are buying the potential that they feel they can polish into a star and Luke is no longer in that 'potential' bracket. Luke is a good, solid Prem player, nothing more, nothing less. The price is further hampered by our relegation, his injury history, our desire to offload him and his desire to leave. All this combined leaves us with a balanced fee of £2.5 mill. He served us well but Yassin will have his chance to shine in our new look, hungry side which will consume the championship and have good cup runs!
  • Options
    I think £2.5M for Luke seems a little thin but the club has just demonstrated it's negotiating credentials by getting £16.5M for DB (way over the top in my view). They have held off to see if bigger money is on the table. It isn't which suggests that his age and dodgy ankle is setting the price.
  • Options
    Young only played for England when there was literally no one else. As said above, they even played non-right-backs there sometimes instead of him.
  • Options
    Good luck Luke.

One of the best 3 England right backs in my opinion. IF he had that extra bit of ability going forward he would be top drawer.

Yes, he looked to move away last season and obviously has again following relegation but I felt he was one of the few that genuinely cared last season.

I will give him a clap when Boro come to The Valley in a couple of years.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Stone[/cite]Young only played for England when there was literally no one else. As said above, they even played non-right-backs there sometimes instead of him.[/quote]

And that really proved to be a success, you can't blame LY for Sven and McClaren's selection policies. I'm pretty sure that had be been at a bigger club he'd have considerably more caps, as would have Darren Bent.
  • Options
    good deal for charlton.
  • Options
    Has he passed the medical yet?
  • Options
    do they have a tgi's up there?
  • Options
    in response to Weegie Sky are reporting that he is up on Teeside this afternoon having a medical and tieing up the loose ends.
  • Options
    Thanks, Large.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Really thought/ hoped he'd have ended up somewhere a bit better than that... but Middlesbrough are always happy to splash out on a crock.
  • Options
    2.5m plus Jason Euell would make sense