Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Another cracking article in the Athletic - about us and Curbs...

But it's paywalled. All I can say is, they are well worth a subscription anyway. 

Watching Charlton with Alan Curbishley: ‘I didn’t want to look like a busybody after I left’

Says it was Wayne Mumford's idea to hire him for Valley Pass. 

Comments

• Options
    They have had some good Charlton content on there recently, including the article on Ian Maatsen's progress at Coventry and an interview with former youth player Mickey (now Dr) Bennett.
  • Options
    They have had some good Charlton content on there recently, including the article on Ian Maatsen's progress at Coventry and an interview with former youth player Mickey (now Dr) Bennett.
    Yes, although in that one I was a bit puzzled that they wrote his injury (ACL) was against QPR in 1991; I was fairly sure I was at the game where he was injured, but I could not find it listed in Colin Cameron's book. I do remember an away game at QPR where it all went wrong after a brilliant start where Mickey was carving them up on one wing and Morts doing the same on the other, then the wheels came off with Peter Shirtliff being sent off. I thought that was the game, but it seems that was a Cup game and Mickey wasn't subbed in it. But I do remember thinking he looked like a bright star, but the injury put paid to that, even though he had a reasonable career, including a second spell with us.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    The Mickey Bennett injury was against QPR at Selhurst in Dec 1988, as we were sitting right in line with it when he went in for a 50-50 ball with one of their players (Alan McDonald was it?) and knew it was going to be a bad one because it looked like he had over-extended his leg as he went in for it. The delay for the injury was long enough that Gritty's last minute equaliser was practically bang on 5 o'clock I think.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    The Mickey Bennett injury was against QPR at Selhurst in Dec 1988, as we were sitting right in line with it when he went in for a 50-50 ball with one of their players (Alan McDonald was it?) and knew it was going to be a bad one because it looked like he had over-extended his leg as he went in for it. The delay for the injury was long enough that Gritty's last minute equaliser was practically bang on 5 o'clock I think.
    Absolute pile driver! 

Didn't he say afterwards that he knew the ref was about to blow and he didn't have the energy to do anything else with the ball other than smack it?
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Yes, although in that one I was a bit puzzled that they wrote his injury (ACL) was against QPR in 1991; I was fairly sure I was at the game where he was injured, but I could not find it listed in Colin Cameron's book. I do remember an away game at QPR where it all went wrong after a brilliant start where Mickey was carving them up on one wing and Morts doing the same on the other, then the wheels came off with Peter Shirtliff being sent off. I thought that was the game, but it seems that was a Cup game and Mickey wasn't subbed in it. But I do remember thinking he looked like a bright star, but the injury put paid to that, even though he had a reasonable career, including a second spell with us.
    I remember him getting on the 75 bus on the way to Selhurst Park with his boots in his hand the day he made his debut!
    Bonus points for anyone that can name the opposition, the competition, the crowd and the other debutant that day who scored his one and only goal for the club.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    I remember him getting on the 75 bus on the way to Selhurst Park with his boots in his hand the day he made his debut!
    Bonus points for anyone that can name the opposition, the competition, the crowd and the other debutant that day who scored his one and only goal for the club.
    Birmingham, Full Members, 821, Billy Beggs. 
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Really good article, as was the one on Mickey Bennett.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    Correct!

Be honest though, did you have to look it up?
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    Correct!

I looked up the crowd and it took me to this thread...... https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/47028/billy-beggs-rip

And @Henry Irving nailed it. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I love Curbs.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Off_it said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    Correct!

I looked up the crowd and it took me to this thread...... https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/47028/billy-beggs-rip

And @Henry Irving nailed it. 
    Ah, but he didn't remember it was Mickey Bennett's debut, did he?!
    :-)
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    How many bonus points exactly, will you earn for naming the crowd? we know Aliwibble was there, only another 820 to go!
  • Options
    I was there 819 to go.
  • Options
    I was there 819 to go.
    Me and my old man. And I reckon at least 30 Birmingham that I saw. 
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    How many bonus points exactly, will you earn for naming the crowd? we know Aliwibble was there, only another 820 to go!
    Except I wasn't, someone's just misread the various quote levels back. I definitely went to the final (a photo of me at Wembley with my Mum and Dad got included in the slideshow at their 50th Wedding Anniversary celebration a few years ago) but didn't go to any of the games earlier than the Everton match, cos I remember that my Dad went to that one on his own.
  • Options
    821 for the Birmingham game, 817 for Bradford in the next round. At both, can name an awful lot of people that will take it below the 700 mark. Thought Billy Beggs played well on his goalscoring debut