Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Burton Albion vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 13th November 2021 | Match Preview

Burton Albion vs Charlton Athletic
Saturday 13th November 2021 - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Trevor Kettle

Introduction
So you're telling me its an International Break, yet Charlton are still playing on... What kind of sorcery is this? - You potentially have to go back to Russell Slade's last game in charge where we were defeated 3-0 at Swindon Town to find the last weekend when both England and Charlton played - This Saturday we make the trip up to Derbyshire, so far its been an impressive start for Johnnie Jackson... seven points and six goals scored.

Its getting to the stage where Thomas might as well just give him the job, even before Christmas - Especially as his number one external target may no longer be available, but then what do we know.

The Opposition
Name: Burton Albion (11th) | Manager: Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink
Ground: Pirelli Stadium
Previous Meeting: Charlton Athletic 1-2 Burton Albion

The Addicks travel to Burton this weekend full of confidence and optimism, but its worth pointing out that games against the Brewers have been far from easy - This is a Football League fixture that has only been played out over a total of two seasons, and whilst both sides have recorded "the double" over each other, realistically Burton have shown to be the better team whenever we've come up against them.

Last year though it looked as though Burton would go the same way as Yeovil Town, a spell in the Championship may have been great for the area but can prove costly for clubs of their size, and a return to League Two looked likely - After all the Brewers recorded just two wins prior to 2021 last term, yet ex-Manager: Jimmy Hasselbaink returned on New Years Day, and guided Burton to a respectable 16th place, showing the sort of form that may have resulted in a Play-Off spot had they been consistent over the season.

This season and Burton continued their form from last by recording three wins, their form has dropped of late with recent defeats coming against Wigan Athletic and Oxford United, meaning that they've dropped back into mid-table... On the player front; this Saturday will potentially see Deji Oshilaja coming up against his old team mates, whilst Lucas Akins (very similar to Chuks Aneke in playing style) will prove to be a handful up front, despite having just two goals to his name this term.

Charlton Team News
The obvious absentees this weekend are of course; Chris Gunter and Conor Washington as they head off on International Duty for their respective countries - Adam Matthews is already absent from the squad, whilst Papa Souare had to be replaced late on against Leyton Orient after suffering a hamstring injury... So the question is, does Jackson stick with his trusted 3-5-2 formation or so we see a complete change in shape this coming Saturday?

If we see the former, then the only other option at the back is the young: Deji Elerewe who could come into the side. Having both him (and Josh Davison) starting against Burton would negate any potential fines, provided of course our squad was too inexperienced in the EFL Trophy on Tuesday night. Sadly I think its pretty obvious from our last two cup adventures that very few others have managed to force their way ahead of others at present.

MacGillivray
Elerewe - Pearce - Famewo
Dobson
Jaiyesimi - Lee - Gilbey - Purrington
Stockley - Davison

Substitutes Bench: Henderson - Bakrin - Clare - Watson - Kirk - Blackett-Taylor - Burstow

Prediction
This Saturday will be another test for Johnnie Jackson and his new look Charlton team, victory is certainly possible and will be another step towards rescuing what looked a doomed season - Yet just like Lewis Hamilton and his tyres, its going to be a game where we need to be patient and take the opportunities that come for us. Hopefully we've learnt from our games against Burton last season and dont hand them any gifts like what we've done in the past.

Comments

• Options
    Is Matthews still out injured? That back 3 lineup with one of Lavelle and Innis would look strong.
  • Options
    When is Leko back?
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Is there not a chance Clare starts ahead of Elerewe at RCB? I'd pick Elerewe myself, but maybe Jackson will want experience for an away game
    I think Clare will start but like you, I’d go Deji.  With our current centre half issues , I suspect Deji wouldn’t have played midweek if he were going to play on Saturday.
  • Options
    I think Clare justifies a start but what do I know?

I saw Burton at Plymouth and without wanting to jinx anything they were dreadful.  On the other hand Plymouth were pretty strong.
  • Options
    Is this on by our choice ? or did we not get enough international call ups ?
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    Is this on by our choice ? or did we not get enough international call ups ?
    I believe we had two players called up.
    You need three to be able to call the game off.
  • Options
    The dreaded words... Referee: Trevor Kettle
  • Options
    Going to be tough game, especially when we are two players down in Gunter & Washington. 

Three unbeaten in the league under Jacko, if that’s 4 are the Burton i would probably be pleased. 

1-1 draw, another strong performance under Jacko.
  • Options
    1-2 away win - the Jacko effect powers on 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Charlton 0 - Kettle 3
  • Options
    Got to say I am pleased we're playing rather than having to miss out because we have players on intl duty.  Washington a bigger miss than Gunter by far.  

Interesting to see if Jackson fancies Stockley and Davidson up top together.  It could work as Davidson is a lot more mobile than Stockley and would be a willing runner 

I think we can win 
  • Options
    This is a massive opportunity for Davison in my eyes - Washington does a good job for the team but if Davison can put in the same work rate, he might be able to offer something even better overall  
  • Options
    Looking forward to this one, in-laws live in Burton so heading up for the weekend. Father-in-law, despite being a Derby fan, has insisted we're in the home end so going to have to keep my trap shut for 90 minutes! Feeling confident with the Jacko factor and going for 2-0 to us
  • Options
    MattF said:
    Glad that Leko isnt anything serious either

Dont remember reading the reasons behind his injury when he went off against Doncaster
  • Options
    In the past we've moved these games and then lost them, bringing little value in them being pushed to the right. I used to think we'll get a few players back and fit for the rearranged game, then surprise surprise, we would incur some training ground injuries. 

I like the approach and positivity about it just giving others a chance. Maybe we created a culture of comfort by always having 3 International players as they would never have to fight back into a team if they'd won. Just need to hope for that win now.
  • Options
    Deji really struggled the other night he didnt have a good game at all and against low level opposition reserves i think he still needs time so for that reason i would go with clare 
  • Options
    The Dog looks a decent spot for pre match drinks.
    11 cask ales.
    2-1 to the Londoners.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    L 2-1 

Elerewe O.G X 2
    Elerewe X 1
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Reckon we will lose this one and Jimmy Krankie installed as manager the following Monday with JJ missing out on the full role again.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Reckon we will lose this one and Jimmy Krankie installed as manager the following Monday with JJ missing out on the full role again.
    Would that be Jimmy Floyd Krankie?
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    To satisfy EFL rules around the pizza trophy, we have to start 2 out of the 9 players that started against Orient (that weren't Morgan or Souare).

Here are those nine players: Harness, Elerewe, Bakrin, Chin, Dempsey, Henry, Clayden, Davison, Burstow

Davison will start next Stockley and of the remaining eight, Elerewe makes the most sense. Otherwise potentially Clayden in the left wing back role. None of the others will get a start at this stage.
  • Options
    With the absences considered I’ll happily take a point away from home with JJ moving one step closer to getting the managers job on a permanent basis.

COYA!!!!
  • Options
    I think if it was a home game Deji will start but as it is away, I suspect Clare might get the nod.
  • Options
    With the absences considered I’ll happily take a point away from home with JJ moving one step closer to getting the managers job on a permanent basis.

COYA!!!!
    They have some key players out through international call ups and suspension apparently so maybe it is a good time to play them. 
  • Options
    who?