Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

** Charlton Life Trip to Normandy June 2022 **

Comments

• Big thanks to everyone involved in organising and to those who went on the trip who all made it so enjoyable. Hope to make the next one where ever that may be.
  • Oh Sorry, Russ, I wouldn't have taken the piss had I known!  It just so sounded like OohAhh.  Glad you got sorted quickly. 

Well done to Neal and Clive.  Sounds like a great trip. 
  • Curb_It said:
    Oh Sorry, Russ, I wouldn't have taken the piss had I known!  It just so sounded like OohAhh.  Glad you got sorted quickly. 

Well done to Neal and Clive.  Sounds like a great trip. 
    No worries B
  • Glad to hear you got home safely Matthias. It was good to see you again, and your new friends. Pleased to hear you enjoyed the trip and as usual it was a pleasure to have you join us. All the best.
  • Another great trip. Many thanks to Neal for organising and to Clive for his great ability to both inform and entertain.  Looking forward to another outing.  Don't hesitate to join us. 
  • Sponsored links:

• SE7toSG3 said:
    Cheers all, it was a total pleasure.

To be fair, Neal does all the work before we leave, I just get to bang on about history. 

This one felt quite special though, the combination of stunning Bayeux, the story of the Normandy Campaign with its highs and lows, personal connections through family and football club, and for me having Georgie on the trip just before he starts his mock A Levels just topped it all off. 

Lots of historical highlights, but the social ones were also important, the hours in Le Conqueror Bar discussing previous away days, the impromptu chat swapping war stories in the shuttle carriage on the way home to blighty and a bizarre discussion with @charltonnick trying to differentiate Brotherhood of Man's 'Angelo' and 'Figaro' over our morning Coissants.

Great to see @MadGerman and his merry men, it just wouldn't be the same without them and we are so lucky to have them among our ranks. 

I am sure there will be another trip in the future if the appetite is there, but for now to everyone who came along, thankyou, it's one that will live long in the memory. 
    A great trip , cheers Clive and Neal. I'm looking forward to the next trip. If you ever fancy going on one of Clive's battlefield tours , here is a link -
    https://www.battle-honours.co.uk/guided-battlefield-walking-tours-to-europe-and-beyond
     Just to clarify the discussion regards Brotherhood of Man , was Clive saying that he liked them even more than Abba. He's not just a soul boy.
  • Thank you all for the photos.

I had been booked on the trip, but when it was postponed to this year, it clashed with a wedding celebration in Gloucester, which took priority.  So I was another of those who had to back out.

Having been on both the Ypres & Somme weekends, I'm sure you all had a wonderful time.
  • Thanks to Clive and Neale for a wonderful trip. A real pleasure to be a part of it   How about D Day Dodgers next?  Italian campaign: Anzio, Salerno, Monte Cassino Would be fascinating and lovely places to visit.
  • I’m thinking of making a trip in a couple of weeks time with my son. Will only be for a few days and will drive myself. Any suggestions on the best way to see things. Is doing an organised tour the best bet or driving myself? Also any tips on hotels etc. Bayeux? Thanks in advance.
  • Nug said:
    I’m thinking of making a trip in a couple of weeks time with my son. Will only be for a few days and will drive myself. Any suggestions on the best way to see things. Is doing an organised tour the best bet or driving myself? Also any tips on hotels etc. Bayeux? Thanks in advance.
    A fair few of us stayed in the Campanile Bayeux. Was more than adequate and just a ten minute stroll into the town centre. We are lucky to have Clive as our expert guide and it wouldn’t be the same without the knowledge he imparts. Depending on how much info you want to soak up would I assume depend if you needed a guided tour or not. If you are happy to visit beaches and memorials and pick up information there then that may suffice. I’d imagine you’d see more doing it on your own. Hope you have a great trip.
  • When’s the next CL trip ? Anything on the horizon @LargeAddick
  • Nug said:
    I’m thinking of making a trip in a couple of weeks time with my son. Will only be for a few days and will drive myself. Any suggestions on the best way to see things. Is doing an organised tour the best bet or driving myself? Also any tips on hotels etc. Bayeux? Thanks in advance.
    A fair few of us stayed in the Campanile Bayeux. Was more than adequate and just a ten minute stroll into the town centre. We are lucky to have Clive as our expert guide and it wouldn’t be the same without the knowledge he imparts. Depending on how much info you want to soak up would I assume depend if you needed a guided tour or not. If you are happy to visit beaches and memorials and pick up information there then that may suffice. I’d imagine you’d see more doing it on your own. Hope you have a great trip.
    Thanks, I've been able to get an air bnb in Bayeux and we're going to stop in Le Havre on the Saturday night on our way down and watch Racing 92 v Toulon rugby match. Will probably do a day mini bus tour for the American cemetary and Omaha beach and then a day on our own, will do some research but would obviously like to see the British Normandy Memorial. So one day on a tour the next on our own.
  • Sponsored links:

• Nug said:
    Nug said:
    Thanks, I've been able to get an air bnb in Bayeux and we're going to stop in Le Havre on the Saturday night on our way down and watch Racing 92 v Toulon rugby match. Will probably do a day mini bus tour for the American cemetary and Omaha beach and then a day on our own, will do some research but would obviously like to see the British Normandy Memorial. So one day on a tour the next on our own.
    The British Normandy Memorial is definately a must see in my opinion as is the American Cemetery. Have a great trip.
    I am hoping to speak to Clive next week about one next year so watch this space. Monte Cassino or Gallipoli are possibilities.
  • Rest in Peace Bob - you deserve it!

• Thanks for posting @cherryorchard, RIP Bob.
    Falklands hopefully shoots
    Falklands hopefully shoots
    I ticked that one off my list in 92  :)
    I am hoping to speak to Clive next week about one next year so watch this space. Monte Cassino or Gallipoli are possibilities.
    Keep us posted. We were so disappointed we couldn't make the last one, so hope to be able to make the next one.

The weather looked better last year than the previous trip! 
    Keep us posted. We were so disappointed we couldn't make the last one, so hope to be able to make the next one.

The weather looked better last year than the previous trip! 
    Weather was wonderful, think it was about 33 on the friday.
  • Driving over on Saturday and staying in Le Havre then to Bayeux on Sunday. This is the plan I've come up with. If anyone has any thoughts or I'm missing something that I should be seeing please let me know.

Sunday (self drive)
    British Normandy Memorial
    D-Day museum Arromanches-Les_Bains
    American Cemetery to include the 5pm TAPS

Monday (bus tour)
    All day guided tour of US sites and beaches
    includes (Omaha Beach, Pointe du Hoc, American Cemetery, Musee du Debarquement Utah Beach, Sainte Mere Eglise)

Tuesday (self drive)
    British Cemetery
    Museum of Normandy
  • @Nug, looks great, hope you have a good trip. If in Bayeux try and see the tapestry if you can.