Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Space Thread

Comments

• Options
    Awesome so far.
    I couldn’t be bothered much with science at school.
    My laziness and unrelateable teaching.
    What a stupid mistake.
    This JWST is going to be significant in the long run, if only like Formula One where big advances trickles down.

• Options
    Depends what they learn, but I can imagine a lot of secrets will be kept.  
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    Depends what they learn, but I can imagine a lot of secrets will be kept.  
    Not in anybody's interest to keep any of this telescope's discoveries secret surely 
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    I mean unless God gets in touch and starts going on about which religions are the wrongest 
  • Options
    Looking back in time, they'll be analysing data for decades.

Fascinating stuff.
  • Options
    The fact we can look back in time makes you wonder if time from our perspective is not just one perspective. 
  • Options
    The fact we can look back in time makes you wonder if time from our perspective is not just one perspective. 

Space time/relativity 

E=mc2

Einstein was a step ahead 
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    It makes more sense to send Robots to Mars than humans. 

Imagine if you said that at an elon musk, Jeff bezos and friends boardroom meeting.

They all go silent, look at each other and just nod their heads. Followed with a...

"Why the f*ck didn't we think of that?" 

Extreme intelligent robot Mars population - is the way forward.

The goal and ambition will be for the robots, is to make the atmosphere denser but with more oxygen.

Release those greenhouse gases...plant trees, build storage space, mine for water traces and search for water vapour in the atmosphere.

But most importantly, name a few of the robots Dave, call one of them sir Chris Powell, and give a few robots some nice tits.
    Pointless terraforming Mars unless you can give it a magnetic field.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

A kilometer tall cliff on a comet 
    Where's that from (and don't say "a comet")?
  • Options
    I'm excited to see what the JWST finds out.  What came out of Hubble was quite amazing, once they got it fixed, of course.  Let's all hope they didn't make any mistakes with this one seeing as fixing it ain't on the cards.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    300 actions have to happen flawlessly apparently.
    All that so far away and remotely.
    If humanity pulls that off it will represent an astonishing achievement, and a tribute to a degree of internationalism.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

A Camera?
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    300 actions have to happen flawlessly apparently.
    All that so far away and remotely.
    If humanity pulls that off it will represent an astonishing achievement, and a tribute to a degree of internationalism.
    Very similar to the first moon landing I would have thought 
  • Options
    When you see what we as a race can do with space exploration, for me it’s humanity at its very best.  

Probably not to scale, but surely our ability to build something to build something that can see back 14 billions years into the past is some sort of equivalent to asking a goldfish to build something and explain the earth 

Mind blowing. 

Had a few questions off the back of the last episode of Brian Cox’s Universe.  This explanation of ‘energy’ and the Big Bang emerging out of a spec of it through inflation left me with more questions.  What is this ‘energy’, where did it come from and what of all other possible specs?

I also thought the explanation about the death of the universe was interesting in that I have been interested in the multiverse theory, and thought our Big Bang may have come from some other cosmic event in another universe.  However, the way Cox explained the way our Universe will just die out in trillions of years, would imply we may not have been created from an event in another universe, if we follow similar rules of physics 

Lots to ponder and can’t wait and praying Webb, like all other possible apparatus being sent up there drag us ever closer to more groundbreaking discoveries 

• Options
    cabbles said:

Don’t know the actual name.  Someone on twitter I follow called The Planetary Guy tweeted it 
  • Options
    The more we learn, the more we don't know becomes apparent. It is incredible that we know as much as we do though. It is a pity there isn't anybody we can impress with that fact bar ourselves. 
  • Options
    The more we learn, the more we don't know becomes apparent. It is incredible that we know as much as we do though. It is a pity there isn't anybody we can impress with that fact bar ourselves. 

That's probably because no one else gives a shit. 

If a horse got informed about it via horse body language. I don't think it would generate much of a response 
  • Options
    As a cow sees a plane above her, she doesn't think. Aren't humans clever. A dog looks at us and probably thinks, we beat you into space.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    cabbles said:
    cabbles said:

Don’t know the actual name.  Someone on twitter I follow called The Planetary Guy tweeted it 

Comet 67P

• Options
    When it comes to animals it is probably true that a cat regards us with a mixture of pity and contempt.
    A cat does not have to clock on and off, pay taxes, take exams, get up in the morning. A cat can jump and run better than us, does not have to go to L’Occitane or Lush or the hairdressers to groom or stay clean, and it can find humans to provide for it. A cat can have sex without a care in the world, and generally isn’t living in fear, or subject to controls.
    Humans can explore space, but a cat rules the planet.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2021
    seth plum said:
    When it comes to animals it is probably true that a cat regards us with a mixture of pity and contempt.
    A cat does not have to clock on and off, pay taxes, take exams, get up in the morning. A cat can jump and run better than us, does not have to go to L’Occitane or Lush or the hairdressers to groom or stay clean, and it can find humans to provide for it. A cat can have sex without a care in the world, and generally isn’t living in fear, or subject to controls.

• Options
    seth plum said:

My cat understands bitcoin though
  • Options
    Not guilty.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

That's probably because no one else gives a shit. 

If a horse got informed about it via horse body language. I don't think it would generate much of a response 
    Human (via the medium of equine body language): Did you know that we've built massive telescopes that can take the most exquisite photographs of space from their geostationary orbits. By studying their pictures with techniques such as background microwave levels and of the doppler shift in colour wavelengths, we understand that the universe is about 13.8billion years old and is expanding at roughly 67.36 kilometers per second per megaparsec...

Horse: Hey!

Human: You like that, eh?

Horse: Sorry you must have misunderstood me, I said 'Hay'.  I want more hay.
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    seth plum said:

My cat understands bitcoin though
    Every man and his dog understands bitcoin but is your cat smart enough to understand what they understand?