Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris Gunter on the lash with fans

Comments

• Options
    cafctom said:
    I’m not fond of Wales either. I enjoyed watching their 2016 run but a number of their players have made it clear that they have it in for England. 

Remember when their entire squad celebrated whilst watching us get knocked out to Iceland? Even though a decent number of them are actually English?

As for the argument about how well they’ve done in recent years…..Crystal Palace have stayed in the Premier League for nearly a decade - doesn’t mean a Charlton fan would like them.

I get that tribalism in club and international football aren’t always the same, but if another country’s players and fans constantly want to have a go at England then I’m not going to warm to them - simple as that! 
    Forgot about that
  • Options
    I’ve never really warmed to CG I’m afraid, despite over 100 international caps, he always looks like he’s got a mistake in him, saying that Deji might have had had a really rough night last night, against that cheat playing up front.

Unless there is significant improvement, Hope we don’t renew his contract in the summer.
  • Options
    I’ve never really warmed to CG I’m afraid, despite over 100 international caps, he always looks like he’s got a mistake in him, saying that Deji might have had had a really rough night last night, against that cheat playing up front.

Unless there is significant improvement, Hope we don’t renew his contract in the summer.
    I think both Gunter and Watson's contracts give them the right to trigger another year with us.
  • Options

I think both Gunter and Watson's contracts give them the right to trigger another year with us.
    Yup... Gunter definitely has the option of a third year.

Nothing mentioned on the OS when Watson renewed in the summer about a further extension.
  • Options
    edited November 2021

Watson has already had his extra year. If Gunter has that option, I'm gonna kick off.
  • Options
    Regarding anti English sentiment in Wales, it runs very deep.
    The Scots having nothing on the Welsh when it comes to open hostility and antipathy towards the English, which many of them will not shirk from making quite evident.
    I say this with a very strong Welsh bloodline…..starting with my grandfather.
  • Options
    People seem to forget the early part of last season when we played a back four of Gunter-Inniss- Famewo-Maadsen. He was impeccable then. Got forward a lot, rarely caught out. Another reason why we went 6 without conceding. 

Just isnt a CB. I dont know what else he or JJ could do last night. Stockton made sure to target him. Maybe Famewo should have been put on Stockton, but presumably wasnt because  the third of the three was Clare, and that was the best available balance. 

What’s the word on Pearce being back for Saturday?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    To be fair to Gunter, he's more comfortable as the right hand CB in a 3. It's the centre of the 3 where you need a proper CB 

Kyle Walker might play on the right of the 3 for England, but never in the middle
  • Options
    Think Gunter was excellent last night playing as a emergency centre half .. he coped pretty well with what Morecombe had and was very unlucky to be punished for the pen when he was clearly fouled outside the box 
    Really. 
  • Options
    The Scots having nothing on the Welsh when it comes to open hostility and antipathy towards the English, which many of them will not shirk from making quite evident.
    So it's the land of your fathers?
  • Options
    Surely no one actually hates another country/ club? Its all banter right??
  • Options
    No issues with Wales and have enjoyed their resurgence in recent years. Gunter’s rubbish mind. 
  • Options
    SamB09 said:
    Surely no one actually hates another country/ club? Its all banter right??
    Only when it comes to sport.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    I’m sorry but I’m not having the whole “he’s not a center back” excuse. He’s still a professional defender who has played that role on many occasions, and that mistake last night was something that someone of his experience shouldn’t make. 

Someone like Chris Gunter surely has more footballing experience than 95% of players in this division. Probably even higher than that.

Yet when we were in the hole we were in at the start of the season, players like him should have been relied upon to grab the bull by the horns and be a leader. And he wasn’t in the slightest.
  • Options
    I thought we’d made a real coup when we first signed him , someone I’d actually heard of.

We seem to have a collection of our squad who feel like their doing us a massive favour by being here, I guess it will take time to get shot of them and its a legacy of the Roland years, they are just not good enough.

Or maybe that’s the best you can get in division 3, washed players who used to be half decent, looking for a final payday.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    I’m sorry but I’m not having the whole “he’s not a center back” excuse. He’s still a professional defender who has played that role on many occasions, and that mistake last night was something that someone of his experience shouldn’t make. 

Someone like Chris Gunter surely has more footballing experience than 95% of players in this division. Probably even higher than that.

Yet when we were in the hole we were in at the start of the season, players like him should have been relied upon to grab the bull by the horns and be a leader. And he wasn’t in the slightest.
    And who did that, pray? I must have missed that player...Stockley said it would be him but he quickly just got fractious. Ended up yelling Adkins to "find a  better shape". 

He could have done better for the first goal. So could the ref. What about the second goal? As they said on VP, about 4 players could have done better. 

He's not a centre-back is not an excuse, it's just a fact. Same as Conor Washington isn't a winger. Both of them play out of position when asked because they are professionals whom the manager can trust. Perhaps that's one reason why both are regular internationals.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm amazed Gunter is still playing for Wales and didn't retire after the Euros, but it's clear his priority is playing for Wales, I imagine until the World Cup next year 
  • Options
    I can second this and I live in Wales
  • Options
    cafctom said:

And who did that, pray? I must have missed that player...Stockley said it would be him but he quickly just got fractious. Ended up yelling Adkins to "find a  better shape". 

He could have done better for the first goal. So could the ref. What about the second goal? As they said on VP, about 4 players could have done better. 

He's not a centre-back is not an excuse, it's just a fact. Same as Conor Washington isn't a winger. Both of them play out of position when asked because they are professionals whom the manager can trust. Perhaps that's one reason why both are regular internationals.
    I’ll never expect a player to come in and be great in every single game. But I can’t think of many where Gunter has been one of the best on the pitch for us.

His experience would suggest that he should be one of the first names on the teamsheet, but I think you’ll be hard pressed to find many that would attribute that compliment of Gunter. He’s had a fair bit of time to really help the team improve, but I can’t see how he has done that since joining. 

As for your comment about what players stepped up as leaders earlier in the season…I’m not disputing the fact that practically all of them were hiding. But this is a thread about Chris Gunter, and whataboutery shouldn’t apply when you have names like him in the squad with his experience. 
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Mametz said:
    cabbles said:
    The current Wales contingent really have developed some sort of siege mentality about them and I think a lot of them only really care about playing for country over club.  Bale has given up at Real and they’re still very much dinning off their Euro 2016 semi final.  

I truly believe every intl meet up the rest of them are all kissing Bale’s backside as if he’s some sort of Pied Piper.  Was really hoping they’d miss out on the play offs and the only reason they’re in them is because we’ve got some real dross in the qualifying groups now.

Would be great to see them miss out and that will be the end of them for a while imo.  Bale has been the talisman, and when he goes, I can’t see any other talent coming through that will get them to the heights of what they achieved 5 years ago.  Massively punching imo 
    You really don’t like Wales do you?

As a denizen of Wales, I think I should point out that Bale has missed a number of games in the qualifying stages. Last week he only played for one half of a game which was against Belarus. Wales were 2.0 up when he went off injured at half-time and Wales went on win 5-1. He didn’t play at all against Belgium, currently rated the No1 team in the world, which Wales drew1-1 and came very close to winning it in the last few minutes.

Bale is their best known player and most talented player but they are far from being a one man team. They have reached the knock out stages of the last two Euros and have a very real chance of reaching the World Cup finals next year. Not bad for a country of just over 3 million where football is in genuine competition with Rugby Union to be the most popular sport.
    Don't think Wales can really use that argument seeing as the vast majority of their squad learned their trade playing in the English leagues. Also, how many of the current squad are Welsh born (50%?)?  Small, but relavant points when using that specific stat imo

At least Scotland show willing by at least having a half decent national league system.
    Well, 
    By my reckoning 9 of the 11 who started the 5-1 win against Belarus were born in Wales. The other 2 players qualified by dint of having at having Welsh parentage or grand-parentage.

England benefit by playing players who were neither born in England nor have English born parents or grandparents such as Raheem Sterling. They also call upon the services of players who have already played for other countries, such as Declan Rice.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    ‘Already played for other countries’..not sure why that would be advantageous for England? He was born and raised in Kingston Upon Thames.

Who in the currant squad, apart from Sterling (lived in England since 5), wasnt born/raised/academy produced from England and through English football?

The only player I can think of off the top of my head is Owen Hargreaves 15 years ago.
  • Options
    Pratley filled in a lot last season and did a decent job. Certainly wasn’t bullied 
  • Options
    Mametz said:
    Gribbo said:
    Mametz said:
    cabbles said:
    The current Wales contingent really have developed some sort of siege mentality about them and I think a lot of them only really care about playing for country over club.  Bale has given up at Real and they’re still very much dinning off their Euro 2016 semi final.  

I truly believe every intl meet up the rest of them are all kissing Bale’s backside as if he’s some sort of Pied Piper.  Was really hoping they’d miss out on the play offs and the only reason they’re in them is because we’ve got some real dross in the qualifying groups now.

Would be great to see them miss out and that will be the end of them for a while imo.  Bale has been the talisman, and when he goes, I can’t see any other talent coming through that will get them to the heights of what they achieved 5 years ago.  Massively punching imo 

As a denizen of Wales, I think I should point out that Bale has missed a number of games in the qualifying stages. Last week he only played for one half of a game which was against Belarus. Wales were 2.0 up when he went off injured at half-time and Wales went on win 5-1. He didn’t play at all against Belgium, currently rated the No1 team in the world, which Wales drew1-1 and came very close to winning it in the last few minutes.

Bale is their best known player and most talented player but they are far from being a one man team. They have reached the knock out stages of the last two Euros and have a very real chance of reaching the World Cup finals next year. Not bad for a country of just over 3 million where football is in genuine competition with Rugby Union to be the most popular sport.
    Don't think Wales can really use that argument seeing as the vast majority of their squad learned their trade playing in the English leagues. Also, how many of the current squad are Welsh born (50%?)?  Small, but relavant points when using that specific stat imo

At least Scotland show willing by at least having a half decent national league system.
    Well, 
    By my reckoning 9 of the 11 who started the 5-1 win against Belarus were born in Wales. The other 2 players qualified by dint of having at having Welsh parentage or grand-parentage.

England benefit by playing players who were neither born in England nor have English born parents or grandparents such as Raheem Sterling. They also call upon the services of players who have already played for other countries, such as Declan Rice.
    Sterling moved here aged 5 I think. A massive difference from someone who qualifies for a country they have no connection to other than a distant relative
  • Options
    Mametz said:
    Gribbo said:
    Mametz said:
    cabbles said:

Well, 

Sterling moved here aged 5 I think. A massive difference from someone who qualifies for a country they have no connection to other than a distant relative

My comment regarding Sterling was in response to the comment ( which was massively incorrect ) about the number of players playing for Wales who were not born in Wales.
    I don’t consider parents or grandparents to be “distant “ relatives. Do you?
  • Options
    It took four posts for this to go from being about Chris Gunter to this being an anti Welsh thread. I'm impressed.
  • Options
    Mametz said:
    cabbles said:

Now I like wales, and have lived their but the even handedness in this post has come from someone who not only Ives in wales but is married to a welsh lady. Fair enough, if I could get a Welsh girl to date me I probably would.  It a bad football team but probably better than the sum of the parts…