Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Best decade for pop music?

2»

Comments

• bobmunro said:
    For me, this is a tough one but narrowing it down to either the 70s or 80s is the easy part. When you consider ‘what the fuck’ was going on in the world and the scatter gun directions music was simultaneously going on during the 70s though that probably has to be the one I’d have to choose. It was background music that was always on the cusp of taking off or completely imploding and nothing was off the agenda creatively. Looking back, just a shame about the clothes

What, exactly, was wrong with flares, kipper ties and platform shoes? (asking for a friend).
    The 70’s was by far the worse decade for clothing. Seems strange when you think it came straight after the 60’s. 

The decade style forgot!

For me the best for fashion was the Trojan Records era (69-71) which grew out of the mod era and US Ivy League- the fashion skinheads rather than the later fascist skinheads (that phrase lifted from the documentary 'Rude Boy' about Trojan Records).

Ben Shermans, Levis (501s and Stay Prest), Squires brogues, Prince of Wales check, sheepskins, tonic suits, Harrington jackets. To this day I sill have most of those in my wardrobe.
  • bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    For me, this is a tough one but narrowing it down to either the 70s or 80s is the easy part. When you consider ‘what the fuck’ was going on in the world and the scatter gun directions music was simultaneously going on during the 70s though that probably has to be the one I’d have to choose. It was background music that was always on the cusp of taking off or completely imploding and nothing was off the agenda creatively. Looking back, just a shame about the clothes

What, exactly, was wrong with flares, kipper ties and platform shoes? (asking for a friend).
    The 70’s was by far the worse decade for clothing. Seems strange when you think it came straight after the 60’s. 

The decade style forgot!

For me the best for fashion was the Trojan Records era (69-71) which grew out of the mod era and US Ivy League- the fashion skinheads rather than the later fascist skinheads (that phrase lifted from the documentary 'Rude Boy' about Trojan Records).

Ben Shermans, Levis (501s and Stay Prest), Squires brogues, Prince of Wales check, sheepskins, tonic suits, Harrington jackets. To this day I sill have most of those in my wardrobe.
    Can you still buy Squires brogues?
  • bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:

The decade style forgot!

Best place for them 

😉
  • 1. 70s
    2. 60s
    3. 80s

I don't keep up with more modern stuff tbh
  • edited November 2021
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:

The decade style forgot!

I don't think so. The nearest I've found are Loake Royals.

For the tassel loafer look there's Loake Brighton - which I was in fact wearing to work yesterday!
  • Chizz said:
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:

The decade style forgot!

Best place for them 

😉

Philistine!
  • The 70s for me as they were my teenage years.

There is currently a series on Channel 5 on Friday evenings, featuring a different year in the 70s each week, it's very nostalgic.
  • bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:

The decade style forgot!

For the tassel loafer look there's Loake Brighton - which I was in fact wearing to work yesterday!
    Loake and Grensons do some great shoes. 
  • Chizz said:
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:

The decade style forgot!

Best place for them 

😉
    High treason……..to The Tower with you!
  • Pares in Blackheath Village has a good selection of Loakes….or at least did have last time I was in there, which admittedly was a few years back.
  • Sponsored links:

• Chizz said:
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:

The decade style forgot!

Best place for them 

😉
    Still wear my harringtons, bomber jackets, levis and brogues. Have always worn button down collar shirts.
  • Such a difficult question. The music I know and remember most is from the late 70s and 80s. From The Jam, The Clash, Madness, The Specials, but then I love loads of current stuff too from Jake Bugg, Tame Impala, Kasabian, Arlo Parks, Sam Fender, Tom Walker, Dermot Kennedy, Sfven & SYML.  What’s Going On will always be my favourite album and I love Bowie, Marley, Cooke & Redding. But I also love dance & house music and Pete Tong’s Ibiza Classics gig is an annual favourite now.

So. Too hard for me to nail down. My personal constant has always been Weller as I loved The Style Council as much as The Jam and he is still pouring out some amazing music as well as re-imagining some old classics. 
  • Chizz said:
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:

The decade style forgot!

Best place for them 

😉
    Still wear my harringtons, bomber jackets, levis and brogues. Have always worn button down collar shirts.
    I am a committed 60’s MOD and will always remain so.
    Have a number of items still from the 60’s tucked away somewhere in one of my ever increasing number of storage boxes.
  • 80s for me.

I was born in 87, but would have loved to have been a young adult at a time where you had great pop music like Michael Jackson and Queen, but also the excitement of the rise of the likes of Guns N Roses and the Bay Area thrash scene.

Love a lot of the 90s as well, and also wish I’d been older to appreciate the Britpop era. A band like Oasis feel massive, even years after they’ve split up. At the time it must have been something else altogether.
  • Carter said:
    Whilst I love a lot of music from the 60s, 70s and 80s it wasn't until the late 80s I was starting to pay attention to music and that was mainly because of Kylie Minogue. I was a teenager in the 1990s so that was the formulative popular music I was bred upon, had my parents music collection which held such dignitaries like Bob Marley and the Wailers, the peerless Dire Straights, UB40, the beatles, stones, culture club, spandau ballet, not to mention a ton of more eclectic stuff i can only assume was picked up out of a bargain bucket to fill the spaces left on the record shelf! 

The 90s were pretty damn shit and grunge was the really popular trend 3hich I just couldn't get behind beyond the incredible Nirvana album but I wasn't as effusive about them as I was the short lived reggae revival in the early 90s, I loved that and my favourite compilation album remains ragga heat reggae beat from 1993. Then Noel Gallagher found his calling and gave me definitely maybe and my world changed. And whilst I'm as big an Oasis fan as anyone they introduced me to the smiths, stone roses, charlatans, and that britpop era kept giving. Blur deciding to write a complete album of zero filler in Parklife, Black Grape weren't everyone's cup of tea but that pushed me towards Joy Division, Happy Mondays, Buzzcocks, sex pistols, Jesus and Mary chain and everything else that scene had to offer. 

Around about the time definitely maybe came out I heard Voodoo People and the prodigy landed in my life, they were different, exciting and truly fucking mental to behold doing their thing live, whilst I remember the first time seeing Oasis live and them standing almost stock still, making the crowd bounce and scream, the prodigy had an energy that you had to witness to appreciate and get excited about. 

Taking us later into the 90s Morning Glory blew everyone's minds but now the country had an appetite and the Verve with Richard Ashcroft having truly found his stride kicked out the classic Urban Hymns and that was another level that encouraged Ian McCulloch to bring his bunny men back to the party, Ocean Colour Scene bringing Weller back to the forefront who also came up with 2 of his best Albums since the Jam with Stanley Road and Heavy Soul. 

And the not insubstantial remoura fish swimming around these massive great whites were Embrace, Cast, Suede, Pulp, Gomez, Elbow, Seahorses, and Ian Brown. 

The 90s were my decade 100% not to mention the legacy of Oasis. Without them there are no Kasabian, Arctic Monkeys, Sam Fender, Libertines, Razorlight, Courteeners, The Twang, The Enemy from that good 2007 ish revival. 

That said the 80s inspired White Lies and Hurts so not an entirely lost decade 

I can imagine being alive in that time when songs stopped being shit by Tommy Steele and how much is that doggy in the window being number 1 to hearing a blues lick for the first time and the explosion of something more akin to what we know to be pop music. What a time to be alive 

Best decade for what we acknowledge as pop music is probably the 80s, 70s had some very cool characters and music and the 60s always have the trump cards of the beatles and stones not to mention some interesting social change but you have to kiss a lot of frogs in those decades musically if you put those big hitters aside. 

Great post.
  • I’d add to my own post so many of what @Carter said too. Have always loved finding new music throughout the decades, including looking back when I see artists mentioned as being an inspiration for ones I am listening to now. 
  • bobmunro said:

*Standing by for another clear out of my wardrobe. 🤷‍♂️
  • T_C_E said:
    bobmunro said:

*Standing by for another clear out of my wardrobe. 🤷‍♂️

Red will have them.
  • Carter said:
    Whilst I love a lot of music from the 60s, 70s and 80s it wasn't until the late 80s I was starting to pay attention to music and that was mainly because of Kylie Minogue. I was a teenager in the 1990s so that was the formulative popular music I was bred upon, had my parents music collection which held such dignitaries like Bob Marley and the Wailers, the peerless Dire Straights, UB40, the beatles, stones, culture club, spandau ballet, not to mention a ton of more eclectic stuff i can only assume was picked up out of a bargain bucket to fill the spaces left on the record shelf! 

The 90s were pretty damn shit and grunge was the really popular trend 3hich I just couldn't get behind beyond the incredible Nirvana album but I wasn't as effusive about them as I was the short lived reggae revival in the early 90s, I loved that and my favourite compilation album remains ragga heat reggae beat from 1993. Then Noel Gallagher found his calling and gave me definitely maybe and my world changed. And whilst I'm as big an Oasis fan as anyone they introduced me to the smiths, stone roses, charlatans, and that britpop era kept giving. Blur deciding to write a complete album of zero filler in Parklife, Black Grape weren't everyone's cup of tea but that pushed me towards Joy Division, Happy Mondays, Buzzcocks, sex pistols, Jesus and Mary chain and everything else that scene had to offer. 

Around about the time definitely maybe came out I heard Voodoo People and the prodigy landed in my life, they were different, exciting and truly fucking mental to behold doing their thing live, whilst I remember the first time seeing Oasis live and them standing almost stock still, making the crowd bounce and scream, the prodigy had an energy that you had to witness to appreciate and get excited about. 

Taking us later into the 90s Morning Glory blew everyone's minds but now the country had an appetite and the Verve with Richard Ashcroft having truly found his stride kicked out the classic Urban Hymns and that was another level that encouraged Ian McCulloch to bring his bunny men back to the party, Ocean Colour Scene bringing Weller back to the forefront who also came up with 2 of his best Albums since the Jam with Stanley Road and Heavy Soul. 

And the not insubstantial remoura fish swimming around these massive great whites were Embrace, Cast, Suede, Pulp, Gomez, Elbow, Seahorses, and Ian Brown. 

The 90s were my decade 100% not to mention the legacy of Oasis. Without them there are no Kasabian, Arctic Monkeys, Sam Fender, Libertines, Razorlight, Courteeners, The Twang, The Enemy from that good 2007 ish revival. 

I can imagine being alive in that time when songs stopped being shit by Tommy Steele and how much is that doggy in the window being number 1 to hearing a blues lick for the first time and the explosion of something more akin to what we know to be pop music. What a time to be alive 

Best decade for what we acknowledge as pop music is probably the 80s, 70s had some very cool characters and music and the 60s always have the trump cards of the beatles and stones not to mention some interesting social change but you have to kiss a lot of frogs in those decades musically if you put those big hitters aside. 

We're probably a similar age. As much as i loved 90s music as it was my coming of age. Cast, Dodgy, Ocean Colour Scene, Black Grape, even a lot of Oasis and Blur stuff hasn't aged well. It's a rarity that i'll listen to any full 'britpop' -hate that expression- records. Off the top of my head, The Bends, Different Class, Parklife and Six -Mansun- have survived as timeless pieces.
    As much as i love Definitely Maybe, it was certainly an album of its time, like many early Beatles records, in my opnion do not stand up on their own.

I tried to be objective with my op. It's difficult to separate sentiment as music is so emotive.
  • Sponsored links:

• wish I was a couple years older to have appreciated The Jam in their pomp. 
    Was about 11/12 when they split up but after the Stones are my favourite band. 
  • I would probably have to say the 80s as being being born in the late 70s its the music I first experienced growing up. 60s and 70s next which is influenced by my parents. 90s and 00s are probably equal. Can't recall the last time I listened a "new" album as there is far more dross out there than good stuff and even the new output from the bands I liked from 10 - 15 years ago is nowhere near as good. 
  • My taste in music has definately got more eclectic as i have aged.

As people have said the music/scene of your youth frames you but after 58 years i reckon...

1. 1960s
    2. 1970s
    3. 1980s
    4. 1950s
    5. 1990s
    6. 2000+s

Nothing seems new anymore!
  • PopIcon said:
    Carter said:

We're probably a similar age. As much as i loved 90s music as it was my coming of age. Cast, Dodgy, Ocean Colour Scene, Black Grape, even a lot of Oasis and Blur stuff hasn't aged well. It's a rarity that i'll listen to any full 'britpop' -hate that expression- records. Off the top of my head, The Bends, Different Class, Parklife and Six -Mansun- have survived as timeless pieces.
    As much as i love Definitely Maybe, it was certainly an album of its time, like many early Beatles records, in my opnion do not stand up on their own.

I tried to be objective with my op. It's difficult to separate sentiment as music is so emotive.
    Very good point and one i agree with mostly 

I'll always say definitely maybe is a moment frozen in time and was so, so different to anything at the time. I forgot Radiohead who were the thinking mans massive band and the bends absolutely stands the test of time. Menswear and some.of the others maybe less so. 

And you are so right on the other point, music is memories and hearing travellers tune may well confuse the shit out of an25 year old now but it takes me right back to Ben Sherman shirts, and a hot, fun summer outside the command house by the river 

• 1970s

David Hepworth's "never a dull moment" book tells the story of 1971 which he argues is the best year ever for rock music and it is hard to disagree.
  • bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:

The decade style forgot!

A thing of beauty.
    I’m thinking of getting a DM pair in burgundy 😍
  • Greenie said:
    The 1950’s
    Rock n Roll was the beginning of popular music with out it you don’t the rest.
    Yes and no, undoubtably the 50’s influenced everything that came later and was probably the catalyst for change in so many things but there must have influence from the likes of Robert Johnson. Cue the without blind boy someone  there wouldn’t have been one legged blind boy someone else.
    80's for me. 

Music died once Stock Aitkin & Waterman got involved. Them & manufactured bands ruined music imo. 
    But some great bands came after Stock, Aitkin and Waterman and manufactured bands have been around since the 60’s. 

The Monkees were a manufactured band. 

In answer to the question I’d go…

90’s
    80’s
    60’s
    70’s
    00’s
    50’s
    Is the correct answer.
    Do I get a star? 😆
    Just because I agree with doesn’t mean I agree with you.