Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Glynn Griffiths RIP

2»

Comments

• Options
    RIP 
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    I've known Glynn for over 40 years and used to open the batting with him for our cricket club. He also used to take the leg side while I took the off, fielding very close to our quick bowlers! I once took a catch that hit him on his back and ballooned over to my side of the pitch! He even had his name in Wisden, as he scored some runs for Eltham College back in the sixties. I was very grateful for the many times he gave me a lift to and from the games with the club kit in the boot!

On one such return, at night, after a few beers, he performed one of the best bits of driving that I have seen.  Steaming around the M25 and coming to the M26 split in the road, we suddenly saw a car slowly turn left across the M25 fast lane having decided way too late that they wanted the M25 and not the M26. Everyone in the car took a very deep breath convinced we would broadside them but Glynn simply drove at their car hoping it kept going.  Had they stopped, or if we had braked or changed direction at all, we'd have been goners for sure.  Luckily, we missed them by a whisker, before all swearing madly at the idiot driver and his passenger (who also thought he was dead when he saw us coming straight at him!).

He was a lovely gentle man, and will be sorely missed. 

He leaves a wife Deniece and son James.

RIP Glynn.
    Thanks for that @Pedro45

• Options
    Such sad news. Sending my love and condolences to Glynn’s family RIP
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    I've known Glynn for over 40 years and used to open the batting with him for our cricket club. He also used to take the leg side while I took the off, fielding very close to our quick bowlers! I once took a catch that hit him on his back and ballooned over to my side of the pitch! He even had his name in Wisden, as he scored some runs for Eltham College back in the sixties. I was very grateful for the many times he gave me a lift to and from the games with the club kit in the boot!

On one such return, at night, after a few beers, he performed one of the best bits of driving that I have seen.  Steaming around the M25 and coming to the M26 split in the road, we suddenly saw a car slowly turn left across the M25 fast lane having decided way too late that they wanted the M25 and not the M26. Everyone in the car took a very deep breath convinced we would broadside them but Glynn simply drove at their car hoping it kept going.  Had they stopped, or if we had braked or changed direction at all, we'd have been goners for sure.  Luckily, we missed them by a whisker, before all swearing madly at the idiot driver and his passenger (who also thought he was dead when he saw us coming straight at him!).

He was a lovely gentle man, and will be sorely missed. 

He leaves a wife Deniece and son James.

RIP Glynn.
    Really good when someone can add a bit of colour. RIP Glynn.
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP fellow Addick
  • Options
    RIP
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RIP
  • Options

Dear Tony,

It was very kind of you to attend the service at Glynn's funeral on Tuesday.   I am sorry I did not have the

opportunity of meeting you to thank you personally.  There were over 110 people and the weather was awful,

so I did not meet anyone who just attended the service.   Glad to hear you met some other Charlton fans.

A couple who attended the wake did not stay long as they had to attend a Charlton match that evening!

Many thanks for all your very kind support to Glynn during his illness, arranging a refund of his season ticket

and asking Tracey to send some videos to him from some of the players and Jacko, whom he greatly respected.

The Funeral Director has informed me that the Charlton Athletic Supporters Club (Bromley Branch) have very

kindly given a donation to one of the Charities requested by Glynn on the Order of Service.   That is very

thoughtful and generous and very much appreciated.  

Glynn was very lucky to have known you all.    

Best wishes.      Denyse Griffiths

• Options
    RIP
  • Options
    It was one of the funniest services I have been to (though thankfully I don't go to many).  Charlton were mentioned several times and featured in a number of anecdotes....
  • Options
    R I P