Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Black Friday

edited November 2021 in Not Sports Related
Has anyone ever taken advantage of a Black Friday and had a genuine deal on something, or is it a load of over hyped marketing nonsense, as a lot of people say it us?

*Edit - Don't know why this has gone into General Charlton, was meant to be Not Sports Related

Comments

• Got 30% off my Charlton xmas shop earlier today :)

• Got 30% off my Charlton xmas shop earlier today :)

But it's Tuesday!
  • According to a WHICH survey 95% of Black Friday deals they researched were cheaper at other times.
  • edited November 2021
    Couple sport clothes companies I follow do one sale a year, on Black Friday, last year it was 25%, this year 30%, so in that regard yes. But most deals you see on Amazon etc, no way are they a deal compared to rest of the year 
  • Been looking around this year for a few things

Was hoping I'd be able to get a new Mirrorless Camera for a cheaper price

Yet the one I want is the only one not included in Canon's scheme!!

For the most part, from what I can see on the likes of Currys / Amazon it looks like a chance to flog tat
  • Just bought a cheap and cheerful Freeview HD receiver/recorder on Amazon for a tenner cheaper than it was this time last week as I had it in my “save it for later” box and noticed the sudden price drop. 
  • If you want to check the history of a price on Amazon to see how good a 'deal' is, copy & paste the product URL into the box at the top of the page on this site.

https://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/

• It’s a con . You more often than not will be paying increased prices
  • bought a dual air fryer last year at a BIG discount .. that was a very good deal .. I just keep my eye open for anything that I feel I NEED or could do with to make life easier ..   I don't just buy on a whim 'cos something looks like a good deal that might end up spending years unused in the back of a cupboard (like my George Foreman Grill)
  • and please excuse me from digging this out yet again

https://youtu.be/neJorQci-wI
  • Sponsored links:

• Picked up a year's digital subscription to the Telegraph last week for £29
  • Been looking around this year for a few things

Was hoping I'd be able to get a new Mirrorless Camera for a cheaper price

Yet the one I want is the only one not included in Canon's scheme!!

For the most part, from what I can see on the likes of Currys / Amazon it looks like a chance to flog tat
    if you're buying new, use panamoz, wouldnt use anyone else now after buying my last 4 cameras and about 6 lenses through them!
  • It’s a con . You more often than not will be paying increased prices
    It's not a con and I think its highly unlikely that "more often than not" you will be paying more than the standard price (if such a price exists) as frankly no (credible) manufacturer or retailer is going to risk their reputation by doing that on a widespread basis.

Legally, of course, any item in a "sale" has to be at a lower price than that it was for a defined period beforehand.

That said, there is nothing to prevent the manufacturer or retailer increasing the price for that prior period in order to deliver a "saving" on Black Friday (or any other sale period). 

So any sale can be manipulated.

Is there a massive conspiracy amongst manufacturers and retailers to "con" consumers during Black Friday? Of course not.

Are you going to get a fantastic deal on anything? It's absolutely possible. There will be genuine bargains out there. 

In the main, you will likely save a few percent, so yes it is worth buying now, if you have something you need, if you are happy with the price, and if you don't spend the rest of your life price checking to see if you have been "conned"....

• Just bought a cheap and cheerful Freeview HD receiver/recorder on Amazon for a tenner cheaper than it was this time last week as I had it in my “save it for later” box and noticed the sudden price drop. 
    But it may well have been more than a tenner cheaper earlier in the year.  You see this type of scam with supermarket wine a lot of the time.  Normally £5, suddenly shoots up to £7, then on 'offer' at £6.
  • Last year, or was it two years ago, I got a Picturehouse membership at a big discount to the real usual price so I actually got the six included tickets for less than six tickets would cost at the box office.
    But it may well have been more than a tenner cheaper earlier in the year.  You see this type of scam with supermarket wine a lot of the time.  Normally £5, suddenly shoots up to £7, then on 'offer' at £6.
    its not a scam....its a price. If you like the price and think its value, buy it, if you don't, don't. Supermarkets aren't "scamming", they are offering value (and creating sales uplift) through promotions linked to variable pricing models....Market competition keeps prices in supermarkets competitive.

You are only scammed if you are tricked into buying something through false description and at a price not appropriate to the item purchased.
  • the athletic is now £12 for a whole year.  
  • I suppose we might as well have our hopeless runaway consumerism rubbed in our face.  At least it is honest.
    must be a con / scam....must be.
    No it’s an amazing deal. They will do the same Christmas week. I get a different member of my family to sign up every year so I can get the deal. 
  • Sponsored links:

its not a scam....its a price. If you like the price and think its value, buy it, if you don't, don't. Supermarkets aren't "scamming", they are offering value (and creating sales uplift) through promotions linked to variable pricing models....Market competition keeps prices in supermarkets competitive.

You are only scammed if you are tricked into buying something through false description and at a price not appropriate to the item purchased.
    You call it what you want.  it's dishonest.  It's making people think they're saving money where they aren't.  To me, that's a scam.
    No it’s an amazing deal. They will do the same Christmas week. I get a different member of my family to sign up every year so I can get the deal. 
    I believe you - other posters may not....
    What is "the athletic"?
  • edited November 2021
    if you have your eye on something specific particularly a big purchase its worth waiting to see if you do get a BF deal. A few years ago we got £200 off the top of the range shark hoover. But just saying ohh its black Friday what shall i get and ending up with a bunch of crap tech that you haven't researched and don't actually need is just a marketing trick.
  • I need a new laptop, mid/high spec. i7, 16bg ram, Windows.
    Also need to get mum a new tele.