Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Options
    RIP, legend.
  • Options
    Mister F1 for many years .. and all those years spent mostly in a wheelchair .. speed king .. R I P
  • Options
    RIP. A legend of the sport
  • Options
    RIP legend.
  • Options
    RIP to absolute legend of the sport. Managed to stay independent for so many years too despite the influx of manufacturers as well as being the start for some greats. 
  • Options
    An F1 Pioneer - RIP Sir Frank
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    I'm glad the name Williams is still in the sport, seeing as it's no longer owned by the family, and I hope they continue to be called Williams, no matter who owns them, as a continuation of the legacy of this wonderful man
    Well said.
    One of the legends of F1 along with the likes of Colin Chapman and Bruce McLaren.

RIP Sir Frank
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He goes beyond a legend of the sport.

This man is a legend of ALL sport full stop. The Canon Williams cars with Nigel ‘Red Five’ Mansell in were synonymous with the golden age of the sport. And Sir Frank was a titan of a man. Overcoming his shattering injuries to lead his team to more glory - you never heard him moan or feel sorry for himself. His is a story of determination, hope, and dedication to lead a privateer team in the world of works manufacturers we now find ourselves in.

What a legend. Rest in Peace Sir Frank.
    Probably a hard man to please, but that's because he set the highest of standards for himself and those around him.  Ferociously driven and one of the last of (what for me is) the glory period of successful and competitive F1 independent teams.

He'll be missed.  RIP.
  • Options
    Rest in peace 
  • Options
    as Damo said a British sporting legend not just racing legend. 
  • Options
    Sad news. A sporting icon. RIP
  • Options
    RIP Frank
  • Options
    I saw his start in motor racing in the formula two races at Crystal Palace In around 1967, which my dad used to take me along to, without knowing who he was until a few years later. He had Piers Courage as his main driver, which to a 7-y-o struck me as an unusual name. Looking at wiki, it also seems that I saw the first Grand Prix win by a Williams F1 car. Clay Regazzoni at Silverstone in 1979. An old school motor racing enthusiast who started out as a private small F2 team owner and created a legendary F1 team. One of the great men of British Motor Racing.
  • Options
    RIP

David Coulthard told a great story on TV this morning - after Senna’s death there was huge speculation as to who would be brought in - lots of big names bandied about - Coulthard was their test driver, and much to the surprise of the press, he was announced as the new driver - at the press conference Frank Williams was asked why he picked Coulthard - his reply - ‘well he has a pretty girlfriend’

Lovely stuff