Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tour of the Valley 20 September 1985

2»

Comments

• Options
    5. "Boot room"

Proper boots - World Cup or Copa Mundial. Not a bright pink pair to be seen...
    And a few pairs of Puma Kings for the more flamboyant types
  • Options
    7. "manager's & tea room"

So much going on here.

The bar, the upright ashtray, two phones, the Welcome to Charlton sign made famous when Allan Simonsen signed, the numerous pennants, some of which have found their way to the museum but many that haven't.
  • Options
    What a state the place was in by 1985, barely a penny spent on it 
  • Options
    8.  "Main Tea Room"

More "sophisticated" striped pine and a random selection of chairs.

Don't go through that door unless you are part of the executive club, mind.  How much more upmarket must that have been.
  • Options
    9. "Executive Club"

Beyond that door was the executive club. This is where the rich and powerful could rub shoulders with other well off fans and sponsors.

Or read a handwritten note torn from a hole punched pad fixed to the wall with a pin.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Mark Huyler said on twitter yesterday that he'd paid for the changing rooms to be up graded.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Mark Huyler said on twitter yesterday that he'd paid for the changing rooms to be up graded.
    Didn't pay a decorator it seems 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Does he still go to Charlton matches - I know he used to in Prem days 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Does he still go to Charlton matches - I know he used to in Prem days 
    Still tweets about the team a lot so I assume so.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    It was, but quite a lot of charm about it all. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    11. "Boardroom"

Another angle of the 1985 Valley boardroom taken by Tom Morris.

We can't promise this much luxury but the museum is open today from 11 to 2.30.

We have the plate on the wall, from a summer tournament in Tunisia, on display.

Free entry in Harvey Gardens.

• Options
    10. "Boardroom"

Compared to the rest of the Valley the 1985 boardroom seems a different world.

Oak panelling, pelmets and a brick fireplace.

Some of the trophies on display now belong to the museum but the cannon and the she-wolf (presumably a gift from Roma when we played in them in either 1953 or 1969) are missing.

Just look at the supper phones for transfers.
  • Options
    11. "Boardroom"

Another angle of the 1985 Valley boardroom taken by Tom Morris.

We can't promise this much luxury but the museum is open today from 11 to 2.30.

We have the plate on the wall, from a summer tournament in Tunisia, on display.

Free entry in Harvey Gardens.

You forgot to mention Lighty @Henry Irving

Of course, he was much younger then, but the resemblance is unmistakable.

• Options
    I can smell the cigarette smoke & testosterone from here 🙄😫🤣🤣🤣
  • Options
    10. "Boardroom"

Compared to the rest of the Valley the 1985 boardroom seems a different world.

Oak panelling, pelmets and a brick fireplace.

Some of the trophies on display now belong to the museum but the cannon and the she-wolf (presumably a gift from Roma when we played in them in either 1953 or 1969) are missing.

At first glance I thought it was the old bar under the covered end 😀
  • Options
    Is it known if the Boardroom was furnished like this when the stand was built (1920's) or updated further down the line (perhaps in the 30's as crowds and revenues increased?)

This is all fascinating stuff...God bless Tom Morris.

• Options
    Is it known if the Boardroom was furnished like this when the stand was built (1920's) or updated further down the line (perhaps in the 30's as crowds and revenues increased?)

This is all fascinating stuff...God bless Tom Morris.

My guess would be in the 1930s under the Glikstens but would have to check the board minutes to see if there is any reference to a refurb.
  • Options
    Great photos Henry.
  • Options
    I remember vividly that boardroom on the "Valley Clear Up day" - so sad it was, but we knew we would soon (ish) be back!.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I used to train at the valley in 1967 through schools football. I remember in the room that had the communal bath was a glass case on a stand containing a diseased lung. I kid you not. It was supposed to deter you from smoking. 
    I mentioned this to Keith Peacock a few years ago and he confirmed it after careful thought. I wonder what happened to it.