Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Academy keeper James Beadle leaves Charlton?

Comments

• Options
    Writing was on the wall when he didn't play in the FA Youth cup tie last week.

Disappointing to see a homegrown kid leave, especially one who's a Charlton fan but as others have said it's not like he was going to get many opportunities with us anytime soon and to be fair over the years goalkeeper is not really a position we ever seem to struggle in.

I'd be a lot more disappointed if it was Kanu leaving.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Let’s wait for official - not about money and James has done right by the club who got an unprecedented deal for a goalkeeper his age rather than compensation -  it was about coaching and opportunities that hopefully we will be able to provide as we progress up the chain and this deal will help get us to a position where we can hold onto the very top talent for ourselves - James and family lifelong charlton fans and in an ideal world he would be staying 
    Intrigued to know what this 'unprecedented deal' means rather than compensation. 
  • Options
    I’m guessing we might have got something like 500k plus add ons. 
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:
    An unprecedented deal rather than compensation has me confused and intrigued.

Sad news though to seemingly lose another talented youngster, especially a fan.
    A real shame as he's a very talented keeper but if the deal was an opportunity we couldn't refuse then that's where we are and we have to take it.

Bring on the Cat 1 academy so we can stop this from happening

Thankfully it's a position  we are quite well resourced in 
  • Options
    Sad to hear this, as said above we have a number of good young keepers so that's some comfort. 
  • Options
    Unprecedented deal for a 17 year old keeper will still be diddly squat compared to any value he may have given us if he had made it.  Likely some minor upfront fee and a sell on clause for the future.

Another youngster comes through our academy using our free resources and training and disappears before signing even one contract.

The grief someone like Poyet got on here but at least he signed a contract and played a few games for us.

Disappointing and another nail in the academy coffin if we don't rapidly get CAT1.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Swisdom said:
    Jac_52 said:
    An unprecedented deal rather than compensation has me confused and intrigued.

Sad news though to seemingly lose another talented youngster, especially a fan.
    A real shame as he's a very talented keeper but if the deal was an opportunity we couldn't refuse then that's where we are and we have to take it.

Bring on the Cat 1 academy so we can stop this from happening

Thankfully it's a position  we are quite well resourced in 
    Being a Cat 1 academy wouldnt stop this from happening if we have simply accepted a bid from another club. 
    The biggest clubs are still able to prize away the best youngsters from other Cat 1 clubs, they just have to pay more compensation if they're not under contract
    Exactly. End of the day we're a League 1 club, being in Cat 1 would be lovely but our best youngsters are still going to be tempted by the bigger clubs. It offers a little bit more protection but I've always thought it was a little overrated anyway. Money talks, and the big clubs have plenty of it to throw around. 
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    The facts are that the academy products have generated £32m in the last 7 seasons

by god we’ve needed that and we need it to continue.

this is unfortunately part and parcel of the club being at the level we are and I imagine there aren’t many clubs at this level that have such a fantastic academy.
    How much of that is Lookman and how much was he a genuine academy player?

And who were the others, Konsa, Gomez...... 
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Not going into specifics but there are names on the list that might surprise but that have generated fees since 2014

Jenkinson
    defoe
    fosu
    Palmer (Kasey)
    Dijksteel
    Harriott
    Cousins
    Lennon
    Holmes-dennis
    Fox
    Karlan Grant
    Aribo

Some obvious names and some only smaller amounts but it all adds up
    it also shows we (the public) don’t necessarily know as much about transfers in and out as we might like to think we do
  • Options
    They were signed to the academy presumably as “punts”.  Doesn’t necessarily mean they all came through there.
  • Options
    Fosu, Dijksteel and Aribo had nothing to do with our academy.
    They prove like James we all do it though. It won’t change but as long as there’s adequate/more suitable compensation for years invested is all everyone can ask. 
  • Options
    I know his dad and was told about this on Tuesday. As its already been said, I don't feel like I am betraying any confidence by confirming its Brighton he is going to. I know the fee as well, but won't put that out as it seems not to be generally known. It is a decent fee for someone of his age, closer to 1m than 0 and there are a number of add ons. This has been on the cards for months now. Personally surprised Brighton won the race but they must have offered him a good deal and it is fairly close to home.
    Oh so it was compensation in the end or maybe the blood price we had to pay for Hemed.

Disappointing we won't get to see one of our own play for us but good luck to him and I hope he does well in the future.
  • Options
    Fosu, Dijksteel and Aribo had nothing to do with our academy.
    Aribo came from Staines Town 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Let’s wait for official - not about money and James has done right by the club who got an unprecedented deal for a goalkeeper his age rather than compensation -  it was about coaching and opportunities that hopefully we will be able to provide as we progress up the chain and this deal will help get us to a position where we can hold onto the very top talent for ourselves - James and family lifelong charlton fans and in an ideal world he would be staying 
    Intrigued to know what this 'unprecedented deal' means rather than compensation. 
    as in the size of fee paid for a 17 year old goalkeeper and the sell on clauses - he has done right by the club  
  • Options
    Work around for Sparrows Lane...interesting!
  • Options
    Boom said:
    Hands too small.
    One of them ...
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:
    I know his dad and was told about this on Tuesday. As its already been said, I don't feel like I am betraying any confidence by confirming its Brighton he is going to. I know the fee as well, but won't put that out as it seems not to be generally known. It is a decent fee for someone of his age, closer to 1m than 0 and there are a number of add ons. This has been on the cards for months now. Personally surprised Brighton won the race but they must have offered him a good deal and it is fairly close to home.
    Oh so it was compensation in the end or maybe the blood price we had to pay for Hemed.

Disappointing we won't get to see one of our own play for us but good luck to him and I hope he does well in the future.

Not compensation. We agreed a fee for him.
  • Options
    400k plus add ons is what has been banded about.
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:
    Didn’t Sandgaard assure us we wouldn’t lose our best young players… ok we got few quid but. It full value for an England youth INTL.

Another big statement TS got wrong. 

Kanu probably next. At least Mason & Anderson are tied down.
    I got over owners making that kind of promise years ago - the last time I fell for it was when Murray said that having Roland around would allow us to hold on to young players!

Ultimately whether your owner has good intentions or is a crook, a club like Charlton can do nothing if a player wants to move, young or old. The important thing is that we get appropriate compensation.
    Spot on 
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    CAFCDAZ said:
    400k plus add ons is what has been banded about.
    "closer to 1m than 0 and there are a number of add ons" is what a friend of his Dad posted.

At the end of the day whatever it is will be a lot less than we'd have got if he'd stayed and made it in the first team but.......... on the positive side if the fee (lets say for arguments sake it's 650k) means we can go and buy a striker in January then it's not all bad.

Fingers crossed we can get category 1 soon.