Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic vs Cambridge United | Saturday 11th December 2021 @ 3pm | Match Preview

Charlton Athletic vs Cambridge United
Saturday 11th December 2021 - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Benjamin Speedie

Introduction
Well the Johnnie Jackson Express appears to be rumbling on with another victory under the Valley Floodlights - Defeat at Shrewsbury two weeks ago raised slight concern amongst the Valley faithful, it was perhaps the first game where we've seen performance levels drop under the new Management team. So naturally question marks were raised, was the honeymoon period over, or was it an opportunity for Jackson to show that he had the bounce back mentality to recover after a defeat? - We saw on Tuesday that it was the latter, the Champions elect put to the sword on this occasion.

The Opposition
Name: Cambridge United (15th) | Manager: Mark Bonner
Ground: The Abbey Stadium
Previous Meeting: Charlton Athletic 0-0 Cambridge United (1992)

The visitors to the Valley will be the last side out of the four promoted from League Two last season, and come from a City better known for its little jolly on the River Thames than for its Football club. Like Morecambe, our opponents this weekend are a side who never looked like challenging for promotion up until 2020/21, indeed since their return to the Football League in 2014; Cambridge's best achievement was a ninth place finish in 2016.

Heading back further in time and life as a Cambridge fan hasn't been enjoyable since the turn of Millennium - 2002 was the last time they were in the English third tier, with the U's dropping even further into the Conference just three years later where they'd endure a nine year spell - Fortunes changed as we entered the second decade, the unknown Mark Bonner (who joined the club in 2011 as a 29-year old coach) took charge and in his first full season as Manager, guided this Club back into League One.

Of course losing Paul Mullin wasn't helped over the summer, yet Cambridge had a ready made replacement in Joe Ironside who already has eleven goals to his name this term (three came in the 5-0 midweek win at Cheltenham)... Whilst we bemoan the departure of James Beadle today, we welcome back another ex-Academy player; Dimitar Mitov on Saturday, the young Goalkeeper famously scored from his own area in Charlton Youth match many years ago now.

Cambridge naturally boasts the fifth oldest University in the world. Will they be teacher, or student this Saturday afternoon?

Charlton Team News
We had the pleasure of seeing Jason Pearce back in the line up on Tuesday night and his experience showed as he kept ex-Addick: Macauley Bonne well and truly under control - Whether he's available this Saturday remains to be seen, rumour has it that Eddie Jones will be wanting him in his England squad after a superb second half tackle, and so stop a certain try / conversion.

Elsewhere and it looks business as usual with the likes of Adam Matthews still absent from the team - Others like Albie Morgan and Charlie Kirk will surely be sitting on and watching, wondering when their own opportunity will arise again. Yet when the current squad is so relentless, its difficult to look beyond the settled team that is even appearing in the FA Cup, let alone the League.

MacGillivray
Clare - Pearce - Famewo
Dobson
Jaiyesimi - Gilbey - Lee - Pureington
Stockley - Washington

Substitutes Bench: Henderson - Elewere - Souare - Watson - Kirk - Davison - Leko

Prediction
As to be suspected I was probably one of the few laid back posters after the draw with Morecambe (a little less so the result against Shrewsbury) - There are plenty of ex-Premier League teams at this level, yet the foundations of League One are made up of these teams who you have to admire in their stubbornness in defence, and we will struggle once again against that type of opposition before we consign this season to the history books.

Those who do well at this level aren't just the ones who can defeats the Ipswich's and Sunderland's, yet those who can also come away from these nitty gritty games with all three points - This Saturday will be no different, and whilst the Play-Off aspirations from Jackson COULD be achievable, they certainly wont if we drop points on every occasion like this Saturday.

Comments

• Options
    Back in the day used to love our away days at Cambridge many a time we went up in minibuses and car loads.

Up there early game of football then hit the pub before the main event, then home to Charlton for a few more beers.

Happy days.
  • Options
    Great preview. Fairly easy and predictable to name the team subject to no injuries. Cambridge will be confident after their outstanding away win the other night. Another 2-0. Conor and Jayden.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Great preview @ForeverAddickted...
    Spotted this weeks deliberate mistake and hereby claim by promote prize...who the hell is Pureington and Elewere ??... B) 
  • Options
    Spotted this weeks deliberate mistake and hereby claim by promote prize...who the hell is Pureington and Elewere ??... B) 
    DELIBERATE... What do you mean deliberate?? ;) 
  • Options
    DELIBERATE... What do you mean deliberate?? ;) 
    I was trying to be considerate... B)
  • Options
    Prove me wrong boys, prove me wrong.
  • Options
    I think Leko may start instead of DJ due to the early knock he got on Tuesday. If we can take a few more chances there could be plenty of time to give others a blow in the last half hour.

3-1 Charlton 
  • Options
    **Purgeinton
  • Options
    4-0 to us. 

About time someone felt the fury. 
  • Options
    Start with the same starting 11 if possible and the same intensity and everything should be smelling of roses, 3-0 too JJ's red n white army. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2021
    Hmm.  More Shrews and Morecambe than Plymouth, Rotherham and Ipswich.  Ours to lose. 
  • Options
    After the lord mayors show. 1-0 to John Beck's mighty Amber Army.......or something.
  • Options
    Leko instead of DJ.

2-0 Stockley x2
  • Options
    Another cup final. Every game is until the playoffs are secured or beyond us. Cambridge comfortably mid table. Will be hard but if we want top six then we must win these games. 2 - 1  
  • Options
    We need eight more wins to secure our place in this division.
    That's the first target.
  • Options
    Leko in for DJ and a 3-0 win - valley packed and buzzing, Jacko made perm early next week - playoffs full steam ahead  
  • Options
    Erm.... November? Wrong month in the thread title?
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Pureington is that bloke who played for us against Gateshead, no?

PS Someone who writes "this weeks" and "claim by promote prize" shouldn't be pointing out another's mistakes.
  • Options
    Jessie said:
    Erm.... November? Wrong month in the thread title?
    Cheers Jessie, that was one mistake I didnt do deliberately 
  • Options
    Oh so Cambridge being on the Thames was deliberate then.

Wait, do I win the prize? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Oh so Cambridge being on the Thames was deliberate then.

Wait, do I win the prize? 
    Unless you know differently, the Boat Race is held on the Thames. 
  • Options
    Absolutely betraying myself here, but I thought FA was referring to punting on the Cam lol
  • Options
    Anyway, I don't associate Cambridge with the Boat Race at all, which is why it didn't come to mind. Hated rowing, found most rowers to be dullards, pointedly avoided the Boat Race (it was my policy to play football in the park while it happened). I associate the town with begowned arseholes thinking they've absolutely cracked life and are now a superior breed of people. Have never returned since. That said, CU are very much the club of Town rather than Gown so I can't hate 'em. Wish I'd gone to a few of their games, but their stadium was a very, very long walk out. Only visited it once; not a match day alas. 
  • Options
    Pureington is that bloke who played for us against Gateshead, no?

PS Someone who writes "this weeks" and "claim by promote prize" shouldn't be pointing out another's mistakes.

Told me didn't it..sorry teach will try harder next time!!.. ;)
  • Options
    Really looking forward to this one but don't think it will be as comfortable as Ipswich. 2-1 Charlton.
  • Options
    Smithy said:
    Really looking forward to this one but don't think it will be as comfortable as Ipswich. 2-1 Charlton.
    Get your point but we were only really comfortable in the 88th minute thanks to Gilbey's strike, up till then, they could have got something they didn't deserve.
  • Options
    Smithy said:
    Get your point but we were only really comfortable in the 88th minute thanks to Gilbey's strike, up till then, they could have got something they didn't deserve.
    As much as I thought Ipswich always had the potential to grab something at 1-0, that was only because the score line was what it was, and Ipswich have the talent they do.

In reality they barely had a sniff, and it was actually quiet comfortable as we were running things around them.
  • Options
    Smithy said:
    As much as I thought Ipswich always had the potential to grab something at 1-0, that was only because the score line was what it was, and Ipswich have the talent they do.

In reality they barely had a sniff, and it was actually quiet comfortable as we were running things around them.
    Fair enough, but we were making it uncomfortable for ourselves in the mean time due to our own inadequacy, but hey, this is not the post match thread..let's just beat Cambridge.. B)
  • Options
    Smithy said:

Fair enough, but we were making it uncomfortable for ourselves in the mean time due to our own inadequacy, but hey, this is not the post match thread..let's just beat Cambridge.. B)
    It was comfortably uncomfortably is how I would explain it ha ha