Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

RIP Michael Nesmith

Aged 78. He wrote a few of their songs once The Monkees got creative control, I always liked this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW923_oO75o

Comments

• Options
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP the sound of an era.
  • Options
    RIP

• Options
    Love that he just made up the fact that the Monkees sold more records than the Beatles and the Stones combined and the media just swallowed it without even checking :)
  • Options
    Oh shit. Absolute hero. Arguably the man who created country rock. His albums are just brilliant.
    I’m devastated.
  • Options
    For the first time ever, I heard him performing some of his solo stuff because they played some of one of his live performances on Six Music a few days ago; I was stunned by how good it was.

Clearly a very talented man, RIP.
  • Options
    Rizzo said:
    Love that he just made up the fact that the Monkees sold more records than the Beatles and the Stones combined and the media just swallowed it without even checking :)
    Better than the Beatles but not the Stones

Not a patch on either but good in their way. Never eally listened to his solo stuff but after @iainment's comment I must give it a listen.

RIP
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    I wonder if he's gone to Reno or Rio ?

RIP.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RIP  Michael another from my youth gone.
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

Not a patch on either but good in their way. Never eally listened to his solo stuff but after @iainment's comment I must give it a listen.

RIP
    Try the albums with the First National Band especially Magnetic South. I love that album.
  • Options
    Sad news, I loved The Monkees.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    RIP. We had tickets for their 2001 tour that got cancelled after 9/11. Gutted I never got to see them.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Rizzo said:

RIP

I need to listen to more of his solo stuff as well.

No, they were not as good as The Beatles or The Stones, or indeed The Who, The Kinks or Small Faces - very few bands ever came close.

But The Monkees were and generally are still massively underrated by music snobs, just because they were a manufactured for TV band. All bands are manufactured!

RIP Mike
  • Options
    So sad at this he only finished touring with Dolenz 3 weeks ago. For me his solo stiff puts him up with the greats.
    https://youtu.be/7gQWfUtrUrA

• Options
    His music not really my cup of tea but RIP Mike. 
  • Options
    Sad news. Only Micky Dolenz left now.

RIP Mike.
  • Options
    It's silly to compare the Monkees to the Beatles or Stones. 

However, if you were to compare them to every other "manufactured" band/boyband, they stand very high. 

Above all it was a brilliant TV show. I'm amazed something similar has never been replicated with that mixture of comedy and music. A modern day Monkees type show would be massive
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Monkees filled a teenybopper niche created when the Beatles music and their audience matured.
    That said, they were vastly underrated and made some classic pop songs, particularly through 1967.
    Michael subsequently found his own country style niche.
    RIP and thanks for the memories
  • Options
    McCartney said:
    So sad at this he only finished touring with Dolenz 3 weeks ago. For me his solo stiff puts him up with the greats.
    https://youtu.be/7gQWfUtrUrA

He was absolutely brilliant . The First National Band are one of the best ever bands.

• Options
    Rip. 

Rio was a classic. 
  • Options
    It's silly to compare the Monkees to the Beatles or Stones. 

However, if you were to compare them to every other "manufactured" band/boyband, they stand very high. 

Above all it was a brilliant TV show. I'm amazed something similar has never been replicated with that mixture of comedy and music. A modern day Monkees type show would be massive
    Loved their TV show.
  • Options
    RIP Michael 
    Loved The Monkess show and music
  • Options
    RIP legend. 
    Not interested in if he was controlled or not, as a kid with access to a whopping 3 channels, his show made me smile, everything about it was decent and good. RIP and your beaney sir 👍🏻
  • Options
    his mother supposedly 'invented Tippex' .. question is, which had more impact on the world, the white word wiper outer or the music of the Monkees ? .. R I P
  • Options
    The Monkees filled a teenybopper niche created when the Beatles music and their audience matured.
    That said, they were vastly underrated and made some classic pop songs, particularly through 1967.
    Michael subsequently found his own country style niche.
    RIP and thanks for the memories
    At the age of 10, I saw them at the Empire Pool, Wembley in 1967. I came out of the concert totally deaf from all the screaming. 

Sad news that another of my heroes has passed away.
  • Options
    The Monkees and their TV show were part of my childhood.  I still like a lot of their music and I don't care they were put together by some media moguls.

RIP, the world is a poorer place for your passing.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    RIP Mike . Great childhood memories.