Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bradford City Possible takeover ( + lots of associated crypto discussion)

Comments

• Options
    seth plum said:
    If this were Holland (and not Bradford) in 1635, you would be able to buy the club with Tulips. More actual than crypto currency and prettier than mushrooms.
    oh look, another out-dated and provably wrong comparison.
    Oh look one of my pile on stalkers adding nothing beyond a dig.

My point, if you have the intelligence to understand, is that cryptocurrency has as much genuine substance as trading in tulips.
    A good comparison actually, and as for outdated, historically there has been frequent bubble smoke and mirrors financial problems from the south sea bubble crisis in the early 1700’s, to the collapse of the American housing market leading to the problems from 2007/8.
    If you want to stalk/dig and get hysterical you could return to @Leuth one of your regular targets.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    @kentaddick

how do you understand that this proposed takeover will be funded? Are they seriously just going to create some NFTs consisting of digital images related to Bradford which they flog to supporters as “ a (digital)piece of the club? Or are they going to put down some real money and try to use the NFTs as an  extra revenue stream.

I can’t see it, but maybe I have got it wrong. And you know that while I remain a crypto -sceptic I always value your views because you try to explain how this stuff is supposed to work.
    to be clear - i think this takeover is a terrible idea. Alarm bells are ringing when in relation to a football club thats been around for a hundred years, that employs people and means a lot to families of supporters that "very little downside" if things dont go well. 

In answer to your question - i think they'll sell NFTs as some kind of members pass for the club. They'd be different tiers which will allow you to maybe purchase season tickets or hospitality seats, watch games via streaming etc. You'd be able to plug your web3 wallet (like metamask or trust wallet) that will have the NFT and will allow you to securely login to these club "areas" online without having to type in a user or password - as your wallet address and NFT will be secure enough for this. You'd be free to buy and sell these NFTs on the open market and/or "flip them", so you buy near the end of the season and sell 5 games in when bradford are on a 5 game winning run etc, the NFT can come with a "royalty" part of the smart contract so the club will get a percentage of every buy and sell from that point on. I think this is how the music industry is going to go, where your gig ticket will be an nft, you bring your phone with your metamask wallet installed on it and get in that way - if people want to scalp and sell on their ticket, the artists will still get a percentage direct from the sale. Maybe this is what they'd do at bradford as well - introducing tickets as NFTs too. 

They could also introduce a DAO token, which the more tokens you own, the bigger your say in any votes. But i dont think they mentioned doing that.
  • Options
    YTS1978 said:
    YTS1978 said:
    I mainly work on an account for a national newspaper, producing supplements for a variety of clients. We've had a lot of advertising enquiries from crypto currencies this year, so it's obviously big business. The problem is these companies are mostly based abroad and are not regulated so I guess the possibility of losing your investment/being scammed is pretty high. So for this reasons we don't advertise them. My client said to me the other day "crypto isn't go away and sooner or later people will have to embrace it" or words to that effect. I guess regulation is the key  although I'm sure there are many more on this site who can share more info and explain it all!
    they're exactly right. NFTs are a really exciting development, there's a big bubble (as there always is with new sectors in crypto) at the moment, but the potential is absolutely massive. Journalism is one field that could be absolutely transformed by NFTs, it's going to be a great tool with the fight against fake news, NFT gaming is the current trend, though, and is definitely the future for multiplayer gaming as well. NFT art's bubble seems to be popping, thankfully. But it's a field that will absolutely be here to stay. But I'm fairly sure NFT art at the moment is being used for money laundering - a lot of weird transactions going through. 

sam3110 said:
    NFT's and Crypto are essentiality fools gold, they are only with something because we're told they are worth something, the second the internet moves onto the "next big thing", they'll be worthless. 

no, they're worth something because they're literally worth something that people are willing to pay - you must be confused with the US Dollar and stocks. 

@kentaddick I won't pretend that I know anything about this subject, apart from the legalities/morals of advertising! It sounds like something that will grow and grow and probably become common place in maybe 10yrs time though  with regulation. Maybe this football "experiment " could work, but the majority of people will view it with suspicion and the authorities will need to make sure this lot can foot the bill if it goes tits up.
    personally i think it would go tits up - we're in the mid to late stage of a bull run in which people are going to be spending the silly amount of money they've made on things to "diversify" away from crypto. But as we all know, you don't buy a football club to make any money.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    If this were Holland (and not Bradford) in 1635, you would be able to buy the club with Tulips. More actual than crypto currency and prettier than mushrooms.

seth plum said:
    seth plum said:

A good comparison actually, and as for outdated, historically there has been frequent bubble smoke and mirrors financial problems from the south sea bubble crisis in the early 1700’s, to the collapse of the American housing market leading to the problems from 2007/8.
    If you want to stalk/dig and get hysterical you could return to @Leuth one of your regular targets.

it isn't "actually" - the tulip bubble occurred over the period of a couple of months and then disappeared and never came back again. Bitcoin's bull runs last for a couple of years or so and have come back from their blow off top - twice. The "tulip bulb" FUD was popular in the last bull run in 2017 - If bitcoin and crypto was to disappear, it would have already. It's now looking like crypto will be the foundations the internet will be built on for the next 25 years. But, sure, it's just tulip bulbs :D

• Options
    cafcpolo said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:

My point, if you have the intelligence to understand, is that cryptocurrency has as much genuine substance as trading in tulips.
    I can't stop laughing at the irony of this. A man who has admitted in the past week that he can barely install an app on his phone questioning the intelligence of another poster whilst thinking a plant is comparable with a type technology.
    tempted to mint it as an NFT..
  • Options
    @kentaddick

I really appreciate your explanations of all things crypto and now NFT's so this isnt a dig in anyway at either the technology or you mate but if your explanation of how Bradford fans can be buying their tickets it is a good job it isnt us as I think I would have to ask you to buy mine as I had know idea wtf you was on about lol
  • Options
    cafcpolo said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:

I can't stop laughing at the irony of this. A man who has admitted in the past week that he can barely install an app on his phone questioning the intelligence of another poster whilst thinking a plant is comparable with a type technology.
    So what is cryptocurrency based on? Oil? Coffee? The sweat of honest labour? Sold out concerts?
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    cafcpolo said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:

So what is cryptocurrency based on? Oil? Coffee? The sweat of honest labour? Sold out concerts?
    Technology.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    cafcpolo said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:

Mathematics. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2021
    AndyG said:
    @kentaddick

I really appreciate your explanations of all things crypto and now NFT's so this isnt a dig in anyway at either the technology or you mate but if your explanation of how Bradford fans can be buying their tickets it is a good job it isnt us as I think I would have to ask you to buy mine as I had know idea wtf you was on about lol
    In 1995 it would've confused the hell out of some one if you said we'd be able to perform meetings online, book long trips abroad, book tickets, doctors appointments, done your banking etc etc just by using the internet. "So i've got to hook up my phone line via a noisy 'mo-dem' to access a website to buy tickets to football? Can't i just ring them up, isn't that easier?", hell it would've confused me too (i'd be convinced it wouldnt be safe etc). I firmly believe the same is for crypto and web3. It's starting to get more simple (web3 wallets like metamask make things far easier), but the golden bullet is when everything will be cross chain and you'll be able to flip between different layer 1 chains with ease and not really notice, that's when things will get a lot more simple and easier to understand. There's a few things currently about to be released that will make things easier and more accessible (another plug for www.fluidfi.ch) but generally we're still a bit off mass adoption. 
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    @kentaddick

I can't see it working at all. Taking all emotions out of it and the risk it is to yet another football it's just not going to work for clubs of that size.

Huge clubs, I could see the use of NFTs as a huge revenue stream. Global fans across the world buying into it, sure. However, outside of the fans of Bradford / Bedford, whoever it is, who gives a shit? Realistically is some multi millionaire from the UAE or Singapore going to drop a load of money on something related to a largely insignificant club? Nope.

Now imagine it's PSG and they have a dedicated player cam for Messi. He scores the winning goal in the CL final. This cam provides a one off, never seen before angle of his movement & finish for said goal. Is someone going to drop a bucket load of money on it? I wouldn't as for me NFTs as they are now are a crock but absolutely it'd get snapped up.
  • Options
    Cryptocurrency seems to be based on misplaced faith, belief in something with no meaningful substance. At least Tulips flower for a season, and the wasteland houses in America (seen The Big Short?) were habitable for a while. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Cryptocurrency seems to be based on misplaced faith, belief in something with no meaningful substance. At least Tulips flower for a season, and the wasteland houses in America (seen The Big Short?) were habitable for a while. 
    Right that didnt take long..... we cant all have a row about the lack of contract for JJ or that fact that he has fallen out with the coaches, The neighbor dispute has run its course, now we have the great NFT/Crypto war lol
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    the irony is that this post is based on misplaced beliefs and has no meaningful substance or evidence to back it up. 
  • Options
    The irony is you saying the worth of cryptocurrency is based on technology.
    No reasoning.
    Technology is based on brainy bods working for companies who produce or create stuff people want.
    Those companies seek to profit, but profit because they provide something.
    Where is ‘Cryptocurrency PLC’ and what does it create that other people would want to buy?
    Mobile telephones?
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    No reasoning.
    Technology is based on brainy bods working for companies who produce or create stuff people want.
    Where is ‘Cryptocurrency PLC’ and what does it create that other people would want to buy?
    Mobile telephones?
    i never said that, i said it was based on mathematics.

As for the rest of your post, i spent a few minutes trying to work out what you were saying, but really couldn't work it out!
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    No reasoning.
    Mobile telephones?

As for the rest of your post, i spent a few minutes trying to work out what you were saying, but really couldn't work it out!
    True, it was another poster who said it was based on technology.
    So if I say one plus one equals two do I get a free house?
  • Options
    I'm sure @seth plum will eventually realise the reason web3 exists is to try and replace and unseat the current web as we know it - which is run by megacorporations like Google and Facebook and return it to being a decentralised land of opportunity for the collective like those who originally used and built the web envisaged. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:
    cafcpolo said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:

What's the value of gold based on? Scarcity and perception of value. 

Digital currencies (in one form or anotehr) are here to stay. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    No reasoning.
    Mobile telephones?

What do you think what you're typing on is based on?
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    No reasoning.
    Mobile telephones?

What do you think what you're typing on is based on?
    I don’t know why you bother replying to him - he is just relentless !!
  • Options
    There are dApps on the ethereum network, If i want to use the ethereum network i have to pay gas fees to miners/stakers - the more eth i own, the more i can use the network - that has intrinsic value. In order for the network to exist, nodes/miners/stakers have to exist to maintain the network - they are then rewarded with gas fees in eth. I can't see how that eth doesn't have value. 
  • Options
    Anyway back on topic, it turns out that discussion of the merits or otherwise of NFTs is irrelevant, as it turns out WAGMI are just another bunch of chancers. How reassuringly old skool...

thats a relief.
  • Options
    There are dApps on the ethereum network, If i want to use the ethereum network i have to pay gas fees to miners/stakers - the more eth i own, the more i can use the network - that has intrinsic value. In order for the network to exist, nodes/miners/stakers have to exist to maintain the network - they are then rewarded with gas fees in eth. I can't see how that eth doesn't have value. 
    The problem is, is that really doesn't make sense to 99.5% of the population. Until that hurdle is overcome or somebody can create a 'Dummies Guide To..." it's always going to be shoulder shrugged.

And this is coming from somebody who actively tries to learn about it every week.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Jints said:
    seth plum said:
    cafcpolo said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:

What's the value of gold based on? Scarcity and perception of value. 

Digital currencies (in one form or anotehr) are here to stay. 
    I am not saying they’re not here, but the value of Tulips was based on perception too.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    NFT's and Crypto are essentiality fools gold, they are only with something because we're told they are worth something, the second the internet moves onto the "next big thing", they'll be worthless. 
    Like money ? 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Leuth said:
    Gonna guess page 4 is where we reach peak kentaddick meltdown on this one

Page 6 - it's gone up. No wait - ffs - page 3.
    1-2 was the correct answer, 3 was overly optimistic.