Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Full Beam Car Headlights

13»

Comments

• Options
    Ok then   add them as well  (-:
  • Options
    I recently spent 6 years doing night time driving work round Kent - bright oncoming headlights were a major source of discomfort and danger - many of the causes have already been listed here.

Although modern LED and auto adapting lights probably do carry some of the blame, I’m sure the vast majority of offensive dazzle is caused by selfish, lazy or ignorant drivers. Like ‘usedtobunkin’ said earlier, pretty much every vehicle now has a headlight height adjust control dial, where you can adjust the headlights ‘up’ to a level that would fail an MOT and are in effect, illegally high. This obviously makes it easier to see at night, so that’s what every brain-dead numpty will do. The volume of SUV vehicles on the road probably also makes headlight glare feel more common too.

Getting a new bulb into the tiny torture chambers that house headlights in modern cars is also a contributing factor. Halfords used to charge a couple of quid to fit them for you, but that is now £8 per bulb at my local Halfords! So £5 for a pair of bulbs, £16 for a tiny handed student to spend 30seconds clipping in a bulb and making me feel like a prize plum. Seriously, £16 for one minute of work is Halfords ripping the living piss out of you. How many people think feck that, I’ll fit them myself for free. And then Norse it up with the bulb pointed too high?

Living in Kent, foreign cars and HGV’s that don’t bother with headlight divert stickers is a never ending menace too. But to be fair, these numbers are far outweighed by UK cars nobbing along in their own own, ignorant, selfish and brightly lit world. 
  • Options
    I live in the middle of nowhere. Naturally, I use my full beam virtually all of the time. I move to dipped headlights as soon as I see an oncoming car, even if it's still out of vision.

Occasionally, cars approach me with their headlights on full beam.

I get annoyed and call them w*nkers.

Occasionally, people flash me and I realise I've forgotten to switch off my full beam. In which case I'm a w*nker.

It's not always "selfish, lazy or ignorant" drivers.

• Options
    So am I understanding this right…in the UK cars have by default their headlamps set to full beam  and you have to either manually dip them or the more modern ones dip when they detect light coming towards them?

Is that right? And if so, since when did this become a thing?
  • Options
    So am I understanding this right…in the UK cars have by default their headlamps set to full beam  and you have to either manually dip them or the more modern ones dip when they detect light coming towards them?

I’m afraid your understanding is wrong 😑 
  • Options
    I approach big roundabouts with caution as some drivers drive as if they are not there. 
  • Options
    Rizzo said:
    On a slightly related note, when did indicators become all about style over function? See so many cars these days where the indicators are in strange positions that no doubt look lovely and match the design of the car but that's no fucking use if other people can't see the damn things*!!! Worst offender was one where the indicator is the rim of the headlight. So at nighttime, in order to see that they are indicating you literally have to stare straight into the headlight!

*other than on BMW's of course, cos they're never on anyway. 
    The worst ones are where the ring in the headlight changes into the indicator.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Ok… Got hold of the wrong end of the stick. 

I hardly ever need full beam nowadays. Its possible my car dips automatically too. 

If you are on a  quiet motorway at night, should one dip  for a car on the opposite track? And would those sensors dip the lights in that case, or would that be too far over? 
    And do you see on the dashboard the light indicator changing from full to dip when the automatic sensor is doing its stuff?
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Redrobo said:

I hardly ever need full beam nowadays. Its possible my car dips automatically too. 

If you are on a  quiet motorway at night, should one dip  for a car on the opposite track? And would those sensors dip the lights in that case, or would that be too far over? 
    And do you see on the dashboard the light indicator changing from full to dip when the automatic sensor is doing its stuff?
    Yes, you should dip for on-coming vehicles on a motorway and yes the auto high beam system does do that automatically. On my car you have to turn on the auto system by pushing the lever into the high beam position otherwise it just stays in dipped beam mode.  Indeed there is a dashboard warning light and also the regular high beam on light. 
    A useful additional feature for mainland Europe driving is that the car can switch over the light set up for driving on the right hand side of the road.

BTW, is anyone old enough to remember the foot-operated dip switch on old cars? I think it was possible to change beams more quickly with that system.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:
    Redrobo said:

Yes, you should dip for on-coming vehicles on a motorway and yes the auto high beam system does do that automatically. On my car you have to turn on the auto system by pushing the lever into the high beam position otherwise it just stays in dipped beam mode.  Indeed there is a dashboard warning light and also the regular high beam on light. 
    A useful additional feature for mainland Europe driving is that the car can switch over the light set up for driving on the right hand side of the road.

BTW, is anyone old enough to remember the foot-operated dip switch on old cars? I think it was possible to change beams more quickly with that system.
    Yes, 1953 ford. Bugger to do if you where using the clutch at the same time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redrobo said:
    It is a pity that fog lights don’t automatically go off when there is no fog.
    Don't get me started about the numpties who think rear fog lights should be used in the rain. I will give them the full beam treatment from behind if I have to follow them in traffic.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Don't get me started about the numpties who think rear fog lights should be used in the rain. I will give them the full beam treatment from behind if I have to follow them in traffic.
    It is perfectly fine to use rear fog lights in heavy rain.  The Highway Code says they can be used if visibility is less than 100m.  That would be a particular likelihood when there is heavy spray on motorways.

"226
    You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 236). Law RVLR regs 25 & 27)"

My view about stupid rear fog light usage is that a lot of it is down to the manufacturers. Ford in particular used to (maybe still do?) have the warning light on the switch and the switch itself is obscured by the steering wheel.  The guilty are often found to be Fiesta drivers, in particular.

BTW, for the purposes of this thread should your name be Fullbeamenhall? :smiley:
  • Options
    Slightly related but yesterday I was behind a bus that had pulled into a bus stop but I couldn't go as there were oncoming cars on a tight road, the car behind however clearly thought I could and flashed his lights,they were so bright they literally blinded mex he kept doing it and then he whacked them on fully (to make a point I guess I still couldn't go and the bus was stil setting down and picking up. I had to shout out, " I cant go and you're blinding me" he then edged forward right begin my bumper to intimidate. Absolute arsehole
  • Options
    cblock said:
    Usually some wanker in a car.
    FIFY.
  • Options
    Slightly related but yesterday I was behind a bus that had pulled into a bus stop but I couldn't go as there were oncoming cars on a tight road, the car behind however clearly thought I could and flashed his lights,they were so bright they literally blinded mex he kept doing it and then he whacked them on fully (to make a point I guess I still couldn't go and the bus was stil setting down and picking up. I had to shout out, " I cant go and you're blinding me" he then edged forward right begin my bumper to intimidate. Absolute arsehole
    Isn't that the point you open your bonnet, get out, and start peering at the engine?
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Isn't that the point you open your bonnet, get out, and start peering at the engine?
    Or open the boot & ask him if he wants to get in as he is so close 
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Im with @LargeAddick on this, probably an age thing but I've noticed a lot this year. Also seems to be a lot of tailgating, one incident where I was on the receivibg end of road rage for not going fast in a narrow country lane
    I've noticed an increase in tailgating too, I've had similar happen to me on a country lane.
    I slow down. Then if they don't back off I slow down some more. If I'm not in a hurry I've been known to do 10mph on a narrow country lane with a Range Rover sport behind me. I always give a cheery wave when I turn off.
    Also I drive a 15 yr old Mondeo with dents all over. By all means rub fenders with me. Yes, I'm talking to you bottom of the range pristine BMW psycho girl.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Or open the boot & ask him if he wants to get in as he is so close 
    Or gently reverse.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:
    Redrobo said:
    It is perfectly fine to use rear fog lights in heavy rain.  The Highway Code says they can be used if visibility is less than 100m.  That would be a particular likelihood when there is heavy spray on motorways.

"226
    You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 236). Law RVLR regs 25 & 27)"

My view about stupid rear fog light usage is that a lot of it is down to the manufacturers. Ford in particular used to (maybe still do?) have the warning light on the switch and the switch itself is obscured by the steering wheel.  The guilty are often found to be Fiesta drivers, in particular.

BTW, for the purposes of this thread should your name be Fullbeamenhall? :smiley:
    I’m not talking about driving in a monsoon I’m talking about driving in rain and rain is transparent and acts like  a lens intensifying light. Ordinary rear lights are more than adequate in any rain I’ve ever driven in.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    BMW have an optional extra for people like that, there’s a button where the indicator stalk should be. 😉

• Options
    Most Japanese motorists have them on permanently, as a matter of course.