Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The repair shop

2»

Comments

• Options
    Mr Tatters watches it and loves it as he's into wood carving and other crafts.
    I watch it entirely to look at Steve. I want that guy.
    That's sexualist
  • Options
    The parent's push along handle on my grandson's trike snapped as my daughter pushed him to nursery.  As it was closer to my house my daughter kindly :/  deposited the trike in my garage. 

I then set about repairing it.  I found a bit of metal tubing that fitted snugly into the broken handle and thought it was just a case of super gluing the two halves onto the tubing.  Sadly this didn't take to well and I spent the next morning cleaning it up again.  I know welding would have been better, but I dunno how to do that so I went with plan b and used an epoxy. 

As it was going off my daughter rang to say that the little one was walking nicely to school now and she'd rather he didn't know the trike was an option again.  (This was like a Hamlet cigar moment for me).  

I had another one later when the epoxy went off and I found the steering was locked solid and the 'removable' handle would never again be departed from that trike.  On a brighter note it is still useful for pushing down Watling Street (or any other Roman Road).

Needless to say I quite admire those craftsmen and women on the repair shop. 
  • Options
    I think Catherine Tate in character as "Nan" on Comic Relief a while back summed it up perfectly:

"Repair Shop? Load of old shit but strangely compelling...".

We love it as a wind-down programme at the end of the night.   
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    This is my Instagram - jotunn_furniture

I don't bother updating it because I do more home renovating and I'm also trying get house done and on the market, but it's some ill update and pursue once back in blightu
    some real quality on there mate
  • Options
    A bit too nostalgic and full of old pathos for me, BUT it's good to see that old fashioned skills and techniques are still extant in this throw away when it's broke world
  • Options
    Stig said:
    It's pretty inoffensive tv really. I'd never choose to watch it for my own sake, but when the family is together it's a rare programme that can hold everybody's interest. This is especially important when my geriatric mother in law is with us and it's a mare finding anything that we'll all agree to watch. Its the television equivalent of lager; it's never going to truly satisfy, but it will help you forget life's worst miseries for an hour or so.

I can't understand why people are knocking Jay. He's not there to be an expert, he's the genial host. His job is to be a bloody nice bloke and he is perfect as that. The state of is apron is completely irrelevant.
    No need to wear one then. No else on the program in fancy dress.
    In the army you are not allowed to impersonate an officer, he shouldn't be allowed to impersonate a craftsman. 
  • Options
    Great show, love it. They restored an old Chopper bike the other week...amazing.
  • Options
    I really enjoy it. I proper poo at anything skilled, really like Steve and would like to go for a pint with Jay.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The more I’ve thought about it today the more I want an apron like Jays. I think I’m experiencing a bit of work ware envy.  Expensive but I think 1 will see me out. I might actually see if I can get a second hand warn in one with a few stains on. 
  • Options
    The more I’ve thought about it today the more I want an apron like Jays. I think I’m experiencing a bit of work ware envy.  Expensive but I think 1 will see me out. I might actually see if I can get a second hand warn in one with a few stains on. 
    Some decent ones on Amazon and not as expensive as you may think. Not my cup of tea for wearing in a workshop but each to their own
  • Options
    @ricky_otto is your man for worn in leather clothes with stains on them.
    If you look in Mrs Mehmets wardrobe you will find some of my stuff. 
  • Options
    Do NOT Google it. 

Or so a friend told me. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Do NOT Google it. 

Or so a friend told me. 
    Too late. 
  • Options
    magic1999 said:
    Will the woodworker is just a genius I just want to see someone take a french dresser or something and say it was a tree please make it back to a tree !!! Jay Blades is just a ponce in a leather apron, Sussie and her leather working is a skill, the doll repairer ladies do my head in but Steve and his mechanical works is also good its a good 45 mins whilst waiting for food to cook the wife loves it !
    I think the ‘bear ladies’ are pretty good actually. 

Agree about Steve, he’s excellent. Brenton is good too. 

Regarding Jay, read what others have posted. His background is quite a story … terrific host and shows empathy for everyone.  

As @Algarveaddick says, it’s a great wind-down programme at the end of the night
  • Options
    Some decent ones on Amazon and not as expensive as you may think. Not my cup of tea for wearing in a workshop but each to their own
    Not too bad on Amazon but the ones I was looking at were uk made, about 150 ish. When I was learning to weld we used to have wear leather overalls that had to be buttoned up to the neck so you didn’t get burrow the UV light from the arc. Bloody uncomfortable and hot. 
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Gribbo said:
    This is my Instagram - jotunn_furniture

I don't bother updating it because I do more home renovating and I'm also trying get house done and on the market, but it's some ill update and pursue once back in blightu
    some real quality on there mate
    Cheers mate, thanks for taking the time to look. It's all commissioned pieces, I'd love to turn out bit to my own style.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I had you more down as a leather chaps kinda man Mike.
  • Options
    You can get cheaper than the one he does. I think Cahartt do a nice one
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Having worked in various garages over the years i remember an occasion many years ago  when i had a job near to Fort Halsted.

They used a Road sweeper that spent most of its time parked up. However the vacuum system of the sweeper was trunking was made of Galvanised sheet metal that had over the years rotted away.

I had started to strip the old panels off, i got told, leave it because you will "just fit new" because you youngsters are not as skilled as the older fitters.
    So an old boy, old school fitter, spent the best part of a week cutting and folding sheet steel to shape, drilling and riveting into place. BUT he neglected to seal the seems so when it starts up it leaks like a sieve and blows the muck everywhere, much to the delight of the younger members of staff.
    So he takes it apart again, seals it up, re-rivets, refits so after 2 weeks of work this Sweeper is finally able to return to service.

All is fine until about 10days later when the costing clerk, comes running into the foreman office to announce that a job that had been estimated at about £150 had turned into well over £1000. 
    And preformed panels where available at about £35 the lot.

• Options
    I like it and the restorers are stupidly talented. 

I don’t like the before and after shot they do just before the big reveal though. The before shot is shown in such muted colours that the difference shows up like night and day. 
  • Options
    I like it and the restorers are stupidly talented. 

I don’t like the before and after shot they do just before the big reveal though. The before shot is shown in such muted colours that the difference shows up like night and day. 

• Options
    Looking totally ripped there in 2008