Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

On this day in 1957, the Addicks staged the greatest comeback of all time against @htafc !

2»

Comments

• Options
    Naby Sarr scored with a back pass to win it in the last minute 
  • Options
    siblers said:
    The stand is magnificent looking. I've never seen a stand like it before. The roof looks like terraced houses 
    I think I read somewhere that we bought that stand from Aldershot. Might be wrong though. 
    Sorry, definitely wrong.

The stand was newly built by Humphreys Ltd. in 1921-22. 
  • Options
    siblers said:
    The stand is magnificent looking. I've never seen a stand like it before. The roof looks like terraced houses 
    Look up old pictures of Highbury and Molineaux for similar structures...
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    I threw my dummy out of the pram and went to this match. Couldn’t see anything. Went back home still with the hump. 

I think this was the last time Huddersfield lost a match…ever!
  • Options
    I was there, then went to the Pistol’s first gig afterwards.
  • Options
    Definitely not there as I was swimming about in.my old mans scrotum. .
  • Options
    siblers said:
    I think I read somewhere that we bought that stand from Aldershot. Might be wrong though. 
    Sorry, definitely wrong.

I am pretty certain that we did buy a stand from Aldershot at one time or another, though which one and at what time I don’t know. Possibly it was just the roof of The North Stand?
    Maybe the well known and much loved West Stand shown in the photos was built by Humphreys to replace one bought from Aldershot?
    I’d love to know the answer.🤔
  • Options
    siblers said:
    Sorry, definitely wrong.

I am pretty certain that we did buy a stand from Aldershot at one time or another, though which one and at what time I don’t know. Possibly it was just the roof of The North Stand?
    Maybe the well known and much loved West Stand shown in the photos was built by Humphreys to replace one bought from Aldershot?
    I’d love to know the answer.🤔
    I don't think so. The main stand was the first to be built in 21/22, and the Covered end roof went up in the early 30's, again built from new...There were no other stands.

Swindon Town once bought a stand from Aldershot military tattoo...
  • Options
    Nicky Bailey’s penalty may have just crept under the bar if he was using the match ball from this game.  
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    For those that were there, why were we so rubbish to go 5-1 down at home, and so brilliant to come back and win, was it injuries, dodgy refs or just plain beer?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Johnny Summers’ boots had something to do with it
  • Options
    The great Johnny Summers
  • Options
    I saw Buck Ryan score at the covered end with the match ball. It was one of those great Valley moments even if it was 50 years after the game.
  • Options
    For those that were there, why were we so rubbish to go 5-1 down at home, and so brilliant to come back and win, was it injuries, dodgy refs or just plain beer?
    Do not forget, we also went down to 10 men when Ufton was taken off with his usual dislocated shoulder
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Do not forget, we also went down to 10 men when Ufton was taken off with his usual dislocated shoulder
    I was there and still have the programme. We lost Ufton after about 15 minutes and played with 10 men. Johnny Summers was inspired in the second half and Bill Shankley sulked at the end not giving us any praise. 
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    I was there and still have the programme. We lost Ufton after about 15 minutes and played with 10 men. Johnny Summers was inspired in the second half and Bill Shankley sulked at the end not giving us any praise. 
    Bill Shankley sulking is something I somehow can’t imagine.
  • Options
    I was at home playing with my Bill and Ben puppets.
    Weeeeed !
  • Options
    I was there, half way up the East Terrace with my Dad, a week or so before my 12th birthday.  Also still got the programme.  How many times since that day, when a match was going wrong, have I wished for a Johnny Summers to come on and nick a goal or 5.
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Bill Shankley sulking is something I somehow can’t imagine.
    He was a very unhappy man. 
  • Options
    Huddersfield are still the only team in the Football League to score 6 goals and lose.
    We also hold the record for highest scoring league draw 6-6 vs Middlesbrough. Only a couple of years after the Huddersfield game. You'd think these sort of results were once in a lifetime moments, but some people would have been at both games.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    YTS1978 said:
    Huddersfield are still the only team in the Football League to score 6 goals and lose.
    We also hold the record for highest scoring league draw 6-6 vs Middlesbrough. Only a couple of years after the Huddersfield game. You'd think these sort of results were once in a lifetime moments, but some people would have been at both games.
    Daisy scored hat trick for us and Cloughie three for them. 
  • Options
    YTS1978 said:
    I was lucky to have seen both games. Got Cloughie`s autograph after the 6-6. (made me wait for it as he was talking) 
  • Options
    YTS1978 said:
    Well both those results were once in a lifetime…
  • Options
    I was at the Boro game. 🤓
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    YTS1978 said:
    Well both those results were once in a lifetime…
    Good point!
  • Options
    YTS1978 said:
    I was lucky to have seen both games. Got Cloughie`s autograph after the 6-6. (made me wait for it as he was talking) 
    Haha...I bet he did. What a day that must've been!
  • Options
    Stood in the covered end,all the goals in the second half were scored at the opposite end,in a mist,but can still see Ryans winner now .What a player Johnny Summers was,unstoppable when on a run and a left foot like a cannon.