Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ray Illingworth RIP

Former England and Yorkshire captain Ray Illingworth has died, aged 89.

The all-rounder, who led England to an away Test series victory over Australia in 1970-71, had been undergoing radiotherapy for esophageal cancer.

Illingworth played 61 Tests for England between 1958-1973, scoring 1,836 Test runs at an average of 23.24 and claimed 122 wickets at 31.20; he was captain 31 times, winning 12 of those matches.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/59789915

Comments

• Options
    Just seen that on the BBC.

RIP
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    tough ol boy who had a good long innings .. R I P
  • Options
    interesting obituary of a man who led a full and interesting life

Obituary: Ray Illingworth, former England captain, coach and administrator - BBC Sport
  • Options
    Proper old school sportsman. RIP
  • Options
    RIP - hope there is something appropriate planned for the Boxing Day Test.
  • Options
    The right man in the right place when Cowdrey got injured. Won well down under and a very good leader on the pitch.  Not such a good coach and didn't do well with England. Was on tour with him in SA in 95/96 and he wasn't generally liked.

RIP
  • Options
    RIP Ray
  • Options
    One of the greatest England captains.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Another legend gone,RIP Ray.
  • Options
    RIP. Incredible longevity, I remember him playing in the early 80s
  • Options
    A great England captain and Yorkshire. He was an icon of cricket in my formative years of falling in love with the game.
    Condolences to his family and friends.
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    May he RIP ♥️
  • Options
    Cowdrey, D'Oliveira, Close, Greig, Milburn, Willis, Roope, Luckhurst, Denness, Edrich and now Illingworth - a team of England players who contributed to my love of cricket growing up. And all sadly now gone

RIP Ray 
  • Options
    Rip. 

Thought his Leicestershire team which produced David Gower were ahead of their time. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Played in the first cricket match I ever went to: Surrey v Yorkshire at The Oval in 1967. Surrey won by an innings.
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP Ray, sure need him now down under.
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    The right man in the right place when Cowdrey got injured. Won well down under and a very good leader on the pitch.  Not such a good coach and didn't do well with England. Was on tour with him in SA in 95/96 and he wasn't generally liked.

RIP
    Interesting, what was your role on the tour?
  • Options
    A great England captain and a real cricket enthusiast. Quite something to be playing professional cricket at 51 .

We need the likes of him now 

RIP
  • Options
    RIP.
  • Options
    Amazing performance under his captaincy to win the Ashes in 1970/71. Six test matches without a single LBW decision. They had to beat a very good Aussie team and the biased  Aussie umpires.
  • Options
    The 1st England captain that I remember.
  • Options
    Tutt-Tutt said:
    Amazing performance under his captaincy to win the Ashes in 1970/71. Six test matches without a single LBW decision. They had to beat a very good Aussie team and the biased  Aussie umpires.
    As skipper he managed to keep two talented 'mavericks' in Boycott and Snow fully focused as well as harmoniously juggling 3 openers in Boycott, Luckhurst and Edrich to optimise England's strengths.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Tutt-Tutt said:
    As skipper he managed to keep two talented 'mavericks' in Boycott and Snow fully focused as well as harmoniously juggling 3 openers in Boycott, Luckhurst and Edrich to optimise England's strengths.
    Could also rely on Underwood to keep things tight while the likes of Lever,Snow,shuttleworth,Ward and Willis had a rest