Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

£736,000

Bristol City's average loss per week over the past year.

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/city-announce-202021-accounts/

They were trying the much lauded Brentford model weren't they?

Owner investment stands at £214M and creditors/debt at £110M.  

They currently sit 18th in the Championship having won 7 of 23 games.  Good value for their 1st team squad on an average £16K pw !!

Comments

• Options
    Something doesn't add up, 30 players on 16k a week is 480,000 a week, so they managed to lose the entire squad budget, plus another £256,000 a WEEK on top of that?! That's absolutely insane
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Something doesn't add up, 30 players on 16k a week is 480,000 a week, so they managed to lose the entire squad budget, plus another £256,000 a WEEK on top of that?! That's absolutely insane
    Playing staff up to 97.  Obvs a lot of youth in that number I guess.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    And that’s before you take into consideration they must also be spending all the monies coming in if they are reporting a loss of £736k
  • Options
    Some of the more alarming figures there:

Wages £212 for every £100 of revenue.
    Bristol City have lost £412,000 a week every week for the last ten years from day to day trading.

However it'll be interesting to see how their figures over the past year compare to other championship sides in the period when games were BCD because of covid.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Don't show those figures to Sandgaard. The final graph showing how much the owner has put in over the years & they are currently in the lower reaches of the Championship. 

I really do wonder how some people think we could be in the Premiership within 5 years.
  • Options
    They have rebuilt Aston Gate as well in the last ten years.
  • Options
    They have rebuilt Aston Gate as well in the last ten years.
    So thats a score accounted for
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    .....and some people will still say Charlton is a good investment for someone ..... erm no 
    Football is nuts and there are 200 massive losers to every winner 
    A football club is only a good investment if you can get to the premier league and stay there.

Leeds floated around mid-table in the championship for a few years, Radrizzani bought them for 45m in 2017, now he's looking to sell them to the family who own the San Francisco 49ers for over 400m.

You're right though, for every success story there's plenty of failures. Mel Morris at Derby, god knows how much Steve Gibson has ploughed into Middlesbrough, and then today we read that Bristol City's owner has put over 200m into them. 
  • Options
    Don't show those figures to Sandgaard. The final graph showing how much the owner has put in over the years & they are currently in the lower reaches of the Championship. 

I really do wonder how some people think we could be in the Premiership within 5 years.
    Because it is far more important to be a well run sustainable club where everyone is pulling in the same direction than one that throws money away. I’d rather have a club in League 1 in 5 years time than no club at all.
  • Options
    Who’s making money , what are the profits of the teams in the Premier League cos the costs are crazy .
    Are Leeds making money , a lunatic wants to buy them at that price but what’s their return gonna be ,surely it’s just ego up there 
  • Options
    A football club is a good investment if you get to the premier league and then sell it.
  • Options
    A football club is a good investment if you get to the premier league and then sell it.
    A football club is a good investment if you find a potential buyer with more money than sense!
  • Options
    Football, mainly lower league football, is entirely sustainable and this is in no way a bubble that will burst. Because bubbles famously don't burst, they just get bigger. 
  • Options
    Or get it for a quid, and proceed to drain it of any existing cash and cash from turnover, as it comes in
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Crazy money to me, but not surprising.

I’ve mentioned it a few times and I know many others have, but footballers are paid obscene money.  I get those at the top of the game are the giants of the game in a global sport that commands billions in revenue and thus are paid top money, but I cannot get on board with a Championship footballer like the ones Bristol City employ, being able to get £16k a week to achieve the dizzying heights of 18th.  The game is so far off kilter with wages that the viability of most clubs is kept alive through a foolish/generous benefactor 

In Bristol City’s case the owners of Hargreaves Lansdown are the men behind the money as I understand it.  They themselves built a great business.  A great success story if anyone is familiar with them.  I believe they’ve tried unite Bristol City and the Rugby team that play down there in some sort of Sport Bristol type model, regenerated the stadium etc.  It’s commendable, but they’re both old gentlemen, and Bristol City look like one of about many clubs in the Championship that are spending obscene amounts of money to go nowhere fast.  

Off the top of my head, all these clubs have had shed loads of investment over a few years now and are nowhere near the Brentford/Brighton/Palace/Burnley approach of becoming an established Premier League team, or in Brentford’s case specifically, the Moneyball model.

Derby
    Reading
    Forest
    Blackburn
    QPR
    Cardiff 

granted, a couple of them have had a few seasons in the Prem, but I cannot get my head around how these clubs are run…..

Wind the clock back to the mid 90s.  Teams like Grimsby & Bristol City coincidentally were in an around 18th in the 1st Division/Championship.  Do you think they were spending 212% of their revenue on wages back then???

The best example I can think of to sum up how mental all this is is in the Premier League.  Everton have to spend about £100m every season to get them to the relative safety and comfort of midtable that they achieved with a central midfield of John Ebbrell and Barry Horne in the mid 90s.  A defensive midfielder from unknown foreign lands will cost you a good £40m these days.  None of their names you’ll ever remember.  They’ll stay at your club for a few seasons and suck up about £6m over the life of their contract, and then you won’t even get your money back in a transfer fee because they’ve got one year left and no one wants to pay the ridiculous fee the agent managed to get you to pay originally.  

The use of the term foreign is deliberate.  I’m not saying there hasn’t been some absolute gems come over here that no one had ever heard of, but for every Kante, there’s about 50 nothing players that cost a lot more and probably offer a lot less than working on getting some home grown talent in.  It’s ruining the game.  The money footballers get paid (even some of ours), is ruining the game.  The problem is, no one cares until administration hits and points deductions ensue, and then it’s all brushed under the carpet as the story changes to ‘what a great job Rooney’s doing at Derby under extreme circumstances’.  I’m sure whatever Rooney accepted when he first signed for them has unfortunately contributed to those extreme circumstances.   I know he’s now paying for stuff of his own accord according to reports, but the point is, that’s an irrelevant headline.  

I don’t know how it will change and I am sure many great clubs will plummet down the leagues because of unsustainable finances, but it has to change  
    Great Post.
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:

Because it is far more important to be a well run sustainable club where everyone is pulling in the same direction than one that throws money away. I’d rather have a club in League 1 in 5 years time than no club at all.
    Yes, but what golfie's saying is that if you do the sensible thing and remain well-run and sustainable, then an ambition of getting to the Premier League in 5 years is highly highly highly fanciful.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    SDAddick said:
    Football, mainly lower league football, is entirely sustainable and this is in no way a bubble that will burst. Because bubbles famously don't burst, they just get bigger. 
    I don't know what kind of bubbles you have seen.

Every bubble I have seen in my lifetime has eventually burst and I think this one will too.

I do sometimes wonder if there are owners (hopefully Sandgaard is one) who are biding their time, getting their clubs' finances straight and sorting out the foundations, to step into the place of all these clubs in this huge bubble when it pops, and the liquid it is made from drops sadly down.

I believe this will happen when the same six clubs swap places year in year out in a boring, predictable Premier League promotion / relegation charade. These six teams will be set in stone by 2030 at the very latest imo.

Once prospective owners realise this clubs will be stuck with the same indebted owners. They will then have to trim down and accept lower League football. This is my definition of the bubble bursting. Well run clubs (like ours hopefully) will then be able to gradually ascend and replace them as The Championship elite.
  • Options
    with what owner Lansdown's financial company charges for its services, that is a drop in the ocean .. but seriously, this is an indication of the manic desire to get to the promised land of the Premier League .. successful businessmen like Lansdown and the Candy Man at Derby are prepared to pay extreme amounts of money to buy success .. UNTIL the accountants tell them that there's no money left and even then they can't stop themselves ..  reality might just set in when the bailiffs come to call  ..

Lansdown also owns the majority stake in Bristol RUFC, I wonder what their losses are ?
  • Options
    Reminds me of the time I heard Lyle Taylor going on about the reality of footballers being a brand, but then made the remark ‘I know my value’.
    Hmmmn.
    Really?
    Is there some kind of objective scale of measurement?
    Soon enough people making a living in the game will realise ‘value’ can go down as well as up.
    Players might think they know their value, but those who value their club should be aware of their cost.
  • Options
    Has that mutt Southall been wacking in some invoices?
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    We are constantly sold the ‘more money in sport = better sport’ paradigm, but clearly Messi on 300k a week or 1k a week is the same player. Some money gets shared around, yet the vast majority goes to average players and absolutely worthless agents.

The idea that the premier league has been a success is a farce. It’s been a disaster. The ‘European Super League’ already exists in all but name and the handful of clubs that benefit from the money will continue to pull away. Even winning the league doesn’t guarantee membership to the elite group of European clubs. Charlton will never compete in the top half of the premier again as the gulf has grown too big. Even the gulf between L1 and the championship is looking increasingly unbridgeable. We’ve missed the break away. The elastic has snapped. 

Unfortunately, cricket has gone the same way with the 100. Agents and bang average journeymen are rubbing their greasy palms together and salivating.
  • Options
    Cloudworm said:
    We are constantly sold the ‘more money in sport = better sport’ paradigm, but clearly Messi on 300k a week or 1k a week is the same player. Some money gets shared around, yet the vast majority goes to average players and absolutely worthless agents.

The idea that the premier league has been a success is a farce. It’s been a disaster. The ‘European Super League’ already exists in all but name and the handful of clubs that benefit from the money will continue to pull away. Even winning the league doesn’t guarantee membership to the elite group of European clubs. Charlton will never compete in the top half of the premier again as the gulf has grown too big. Even the gulf between L1 and the championship is looking increasingly unbridgeable. We’ve missed the break away. The elastic has snapped. 

Unfortunately, cricket has gone the same way with the 100. Agents and bang average journeymen are rubbing their greasy palms together and salivating.
    A lot of truth in that. 
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:

But that's not an option though.  We can't be a sustainable league 1 club.  It's an oxymoron.  It's actually debatable if we can be a sustainable championship club. 
  • Options
    No such thing as a financialy sustainable  championship club.