Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Today’s Match Stream

2»

Comments

• Options
    seth plum said:
    If I had audio commentary only, I don't want to enjoy it, I want to know what is going on.
    Well you can't have both
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Cloudworm said:
    Leave it out, I love Terry on comms, alright yes he gets things wrong & yes he’s biased but he’s a fan first like all of us. Some fans are just like it, they can’t help but be biased. It’s like when I get down the pub after a game, guaranteed there will be a few fans that won’t have it that we were just crap, it’ll be the refs fault, Lino’s fault, the opposition cheated etc. He’s just one of them, not a bad thing really. 
    Spot on.
    He gets thing wrong, he's very biased, he likes a fan not a commentator and unfairly blames officials etc.
    Greg Stubley is as big a fan as Terry but manages to balance his loyalty and objectivity perfectly.

Terry doesn't commentate on the match as much as on the officials' performances. It's really tiresome. 

I know he doesn't do it for a day job, but even these part-time media hobbyists should take the time to read the laws of the game they spend so much time passing comment on. Terry didn't even know the difference between a direct and indirect free-kick and how the ref indicates which has been given. Charlton Live gang are similarly ignorant.
    If that is true that is really poor
    I don’t give a monkeys about whether you like my Brothers comms or not. That’s your opinion & you’re totally entitled to it.

But he most certainly does know this rule & how the ref indicates it, he’s had to explain it to our family members on more than one occasion 😜

I listen to him every game & honestly don’t remember this happening 🤷‍♀️
    I can’t remember the game but it was at the Valley, probably towards the end of the Adkins era. We were attacking the Jimmy Seed End and got a free kick out on the left for a foul. Terry said something like, ‘Elliot Lee might be shaping up to shoot here.....I don’t know if he can though. Is direct or indirect?’

For the record, I’ve got nothing against your brother personally. In fact, I like him off mic and always enjoy his contributions when he appears of Charlton Live. It’s just the bias and over the top criticism of match officials that really irritates me (and a lot of others it seems). Out of interest, what does he say about the criticism he gets on this front? He’s clearly aware of it as he mentions it occasionally.
  • Options
    Cloudworm said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Cloudworm said:
    Leave it out, I love Terry on comms, alright yes he gets things wrong & yes he’s biased but he’s a fan first like all of us. Some fans are just like it, they can’t help but be biased. It’s like when I get down the pub after a game, guaranteed there will be a few fans that won’t have it that we were just crap, it’ll be the refs fault, Lino’s fault, the opposition cheated etc. He’s just one of them, not a bad thing really. 
    Spot on.
    He gets thing wrong, he's very biased, he likes a fan not a commentator and unfairly blames officials etc.
    Greg Stubley is as big a fan as Terry but manages to balance his loyalty and objectivity perfectly.

Terry doesn't commentate on the match as much as on the officials' performances. It's really tiresome. 

I know he doesn't do it for a day job, but even these part-time media hobbyists should take the time to read the laws of the game they spend so much time passing comment on. Terry didn't even know the difference between a direct and indirect free-kick and how the ref indicates which has been given. Charlton Live gang are similarly ignorant.
    I don’t give a monkeys about whether you like my Brothers comms or not. That’s your opinion & you’re totally entitled to it.

But he most certainly does know this rule & how the ref indicates it, he’s had to explain it to our family members on more than one occasion 😜

I can’t remember the game but it was at the Valley, probably towards the end of the Adkins era. We were attacking the Jimmy Seed End and got a free kick out on the left for a foul. Terry said something like, ‘Elliot Lee might be shaping up to shoot here.....I don’t know if he can though. Is direct or indirect?’

For the record, I’ve got nothing against your brother personally. In fact, I like him off mic and always enjoy his contributions when he appears of Charlton Live. It’s just the bias and over the top criticism of match officials that really irritates me (and a lot of others it seems). Out of interest, what does he say about the criticism he gets on this front? He’s clearly aware of it as he mentions it occasionally.
    Thanks for explaining.
    I really don’t remember that at all but what you’ve explained doesn’t necessarily mean he doesn’t know the rules. More like he wasn’t watching (sidetracked by Greg’s Missus biscuits more than likely) which is more outrageous imho 😜

What does he say about criticism? Mostly that you can’t keep everyone happy & that it goes with the territory. You put yourself out there it’s going to happen.
    He loves it, he knows it won’t last forever & is therefore living the dream while it lasts.

I’m sure he tries not to go on about the officials but after watching Charlton for nearly 55yrs & the utter dross we’ve had officiating it’s probably ingrained in him now 🤷‍♀️
  • Options
    Not spotting if the ref has given a direct or indirect free kick is not the same as not knowing the difference.
  • Options
    Refs should be viewed as a variable like the weather or pitch conditions.
    They must be neutral more than any good.
    Being any good is usually a bonus.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Not spotting if the ref has given a direct or indirect free kick is not the same as not knowing the difference

But he’d have his arm in the air until the ball is played. If you’re not sure, just look at the ref.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Well quite.
    I know I spotted the booking of Aneke on Saturday way before the commentators, and that’s with only having the one camera coverage.
    The first duty of coverage, especially audio is to pay attention and tell listeners (and viewers) what is going on.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Cloudworm said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Cloudworm said:
    Spot on.

Thanks for explaining.
    I really don’t remember that at all but what you’ve explained doesn’t necessarily mean he doesn’t know the rules. More like he wasn’t watching (sidetracked by Greg’s Missus biscuits more than likely) which is more outrageous imho 😜

What does he say about criticism? Mostly that you can’t keep everyone happy & that it goes with the territory. You put yourself out there it’s going to happen.
    He loves it, he knows it won’t last forever & is therefore living the dream while it lasts.

I’m sure he tries not to go on about the officials but after watching Charlton for nearly 55yrs & the utter dross we’ve had officiating it’s probably ingrained in him now 🤷‍♀️
    The irony! Terry acknowledges you can't please all the people all the time between rants at referees!

The thing is, I think he could please everyone. He's clearly amiable, he loves Charlton, and he's knowledgeable about the club's history and the broader game. The only thing that seems to displease people is this fixation with match officials and the bias that goes with it. I think the first step is just reading the laws of the game and trying to appreciate the difficulties refs have applying them. I wonder if he is equally as disparaging towards those reffing games he is watching as a neutral?

As a footnote, it seems to run in the family ;-). Don't you think the fact that some are never happy with the standard of refereeing is more of a reflection of what a difficult job it is, rather than universal ineptitude of those in the middle?

Please could you mention this to Terry and see if he'll download the laws from the FA website? Many thanks.
  • Options
    Cloudworm said:
    Cloudworm said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Cloudworm said:
    Spot on.

Thanks for explaining.

The thing is, I think he could please everyone. He's clearly amiable, he loves Charlton, and he's knowledgeable about the club's history and the broader game. The only thing that seems to displease people is this fixation with match officials and the bias that goes with it. I think the first step is just reading the laws of the game and trying to appreciate the difficulties refs have applying them. I wonder if he is equally as disparaging towards those reffing games he is watching as a neutral?

As a footnote, it seems to run in the family ;-). Don't you think the fact that some are never happy with the standard of refereeing is more of a reflection of what a difficult job it is, rather than universal ineptitude of those in the middle?

Please could you mention this to Terry and see if he'll download the laws from the FA website? Many thanks.
    There’s a few assumptions from you here too, if you don’t mind me saying.

You're assuming he hasn’t already got a copy/download of the rules of the law just because of one incident that he could quite easily have missed (the incident & the refs indication).
    And you’re also assuming that my brother has never actually officiated a game & therefore doesn’t understand what is required of a decent referee.

I actually think the ref bias thing has grown legs & as such may now be something he unwittingly plays up to. Much like Brownie talking too much.

Terry is on here, why don’t you take it up with him & see what he says?
    I’m his younger sister, not his Mum 🤷‍♀️😁

• Options
    Lots of criticism for a stream that most (I imagine) aren't even really meant to be watching in line with the broadcasting terms ! :|