Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic vs Fleetwood Town | Saturday 22nd January 2022 @ 3pm | Match Preview

Charlton Athletic vs Fleetwood Town
Saturday 22nd January 2022 - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Brett Huxtable

Introduction
Erm, is there any chance that we can discreetly change Jackson's job title back to his previous one when he was in Caretaker charge of the club? - Unfortunately results haven't quite mirrored our early form under the new Manager, and once again, fingers must be pointed at players who are once again putting in the half hearted displays that we witnessed under both Lee Bowyer and Nigel Adkins... Chuks Aneke robbed Cheltenham Town of all three points last weekend, and whilst police continue their investigations into the robbery, the Addicks themselves no focus on a home fixture against travelling: Fleetwood Town.

The Opposition
Name: Fleetwood Town (19th) | Manager: Stephen Crainey
Ground: Highbury Stadium
Previous Meeting: Fleetwood Town 1-2 Charlton Athletic

Fleetwood find themselves two places above the drop zone, yet will be relieved (at present) to have a four point gap, and game in hand over Morecambe - Should Fleetwood win (along with others between us), then we will switch positions, and will be nervously looking over shoulders - In terms of form, Fleetwood come into this fixture off the back of a decent run of form. The Cod Army have only drawn and lost the once in the last six games, four wins have been achieved, including a 1-0 victory over Play-Off chasing: Rotherham United last time out.

A bit like ourselves though; Fleetwood's turn in fortunes could be partly down to having the new Manager bounce... Simon Grayson was relieved of managerial duties at the end of November, with Stephen Crainey (a Scottish International during his playing career) firstly taking his place as caretaker, before then being given the job on a permanent basis four days after our own Johnnie Jackson was appointed on a permanent basis.

On the player front; Danny Andrew is the obvious names to look out for, and is a name that has been mooted on this forum as a ideal transfer target as competition at Left Wing-Back. He has six goals to his name this season, along with as many assists - Charlton certainly wont want to give any threatening free kicks away, given the fact he's already scored against us this season.

Charlton Team News
The obvious absentee of late has been Craig MacGillivray... His partner gave birth around the trip to Crewe Alexandra so missed that game, and the subsequent trip to Cheltenham Town - As highlighted recently by Steve Brown, its nice sign of how the sport is changing for players, with Craig given time to get to know the newest member of his family, rather than being rushed back into action.

Elsewhere and Chuks Aneke was a welcome return prior to the Cheltenham game last week - His announcement came after my Match Preview had been produced, and given the rumours on the forum today, its likely there could well be others that'll be appearing on the teamsheet - In terms of existing players; Albie Morgan had a better game at Cheltenham than what we've seen of him this season. The academy graduate has failed to impress for large periods of the campaign, but surely deserves to keep his starting place, else what message does it send to him, and other fringe players?

MacGillivray
Clare - Inniss - Famewo
Dobson
Jaiyesimi - Lee - Morgan - Purrington
Aneke - Washington

Substitutes Bench: Henderson - Matthews - Pearce - Gilbey - Leko - Burstow - Blackett-Taylor

Prediction
Charlton on their travels have struggled under Johnnie Jackson, and apart from trips to Sunderland and Burton have failed to really impress - Unfortunately that puts even more pressure on our performances at the Valley - Perhaps that's one reason for the club to try and fill the ground as much as possible. A win gives everyone a slight bit of confidence, and should results go our way, give us some breathing room

A first ever home defeat against Fleetwood and we're truly back into the mess.

Comments

• Options
    Match thread!!??
  • Options
    CafcWest said:
    Match thread!!??
    :D:D - Four day working week mate, four day working week
  • Options
    I have a feeling we'll see Lee coming on off the bench in this one.
     For that reason I think we'll see something like this:

MacGillivray
    Clare - Inniss - Famewo
    Dobson
    Jaiyesimi - Morgan - Gilbey - Purrington
    Burstow - Washington

Substitutes Bench: Henderson - Matthews - Pearce - Lee - Leko - Aneke - Blackett-Taylor

It would enable us to have a proper game changing bench. Not sure how well Mase and Conor will do up top together, but the work rate will be there. 

• Options
    If anybody has a spare/wants to sell a ticket for a donation to Upbeats, drop me a PM.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Doesn't look like the system is likely to change then. We're not creating much down the middle and unless Aneke or Washington pull out to the wing the wingbacks get stuck halfway towards the box with nowhere to go. Hopefully with the rumoured signing of actual wingbacks on loan that can change but again seems pointless playing a system with no attacking wingers when we have a number of talented wingers.
    I also feel that, as much as I rate him, Dobson needs someone alongside him in the DM role as it's been a bit overran recently
  • Options
    Agree with the XI except I think he will bring Gilbey back in and Morgan will play Tuesday.

Hate to be negative but my interest is fading fast this season, I think we’ll win tomorrow but even then it’s not like we’ll be rushing to check the table.  If we’re going to make any sort of go of this season it has to start now, the run that is, it’s got to be a ruthless 5 game streak whilst we strengthen in the window to give us any chance.  

Only problem is based on what we’ve served up recently you just cannot see it whoever is picked and whatever the formation.

2-1 Gilbey, Innis.
  • Options
    Hate to be negative but my interest is fading fast this season, I think we’ll win tomorrow but even then it’s not like we’ll be rushing to check the table.  If we’re going to make any sort of go of this season it has to start now, the run that is, it’s got to be a ruthless 5 game streak whilst we strengthen in the window to give us any chance.
    Nah dont blame you... Even I've started to lose interest as well

Was actually shocked to see we were in 15th, and could drop to 19th after this game as didnt think it was that tight (Although shouldn't be surprised as thats just typical of the Football League as a whole) - Dont think we've got any hope of "giving this season any sort of go" now.

Still dont think we'll be seriously at risk of relegation - But think we'll just plod along to midtable mediocracy now.
  • Options
    Team looks good on paper, we need to get back to winning ways. 2-0 home win, Washington first goal
  • Options

Still dont think we'll be seriously at risk of relegation - But think we'll just plod along to midtable mediocracy now.
    I wouldn't be so sure. If we continue to play how we did against Cheltenham and Crewe we will struggle to pick up too many more points, especially with the quality of teams we are playing we could be dragged right into it
  • Options
    Turned out to be quite a big game in our season. One point from Crewe and Cheltenham has left us back in a relegation battle. A must win game as we do not want the point difference to be fewer than 6 between us and Morecambe.

Home form has been quite good under Jacko, so expect us to win.

1-0 win. Anything else is not worth thinking about. 

COYA
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
                   Mac G
      Inniss.   Pearce Famewo
    Clair     Gilbey.    Dobbo    Purrington 
                    Chucks
          Burstow   Washington 

• Options
    edited January 2022
    Dazzler21 said:
    I have a feeling we'll see Lee coming on off the bench in this one.
     For that reason I think we'll see something like this:

MacGillivray
    Clare - Inniss - Famewo
    Dobson
    Jaiyesimi - Morgan - Gilbey - Purrington
    Burstow - Washington

Substitutes Bench: Henderson - Matthews - Pearce - Lee - Leko - Aneke - Blackett-Taylor

It would enable us to have a proper game changing bench. Not sure how well Mase and Conor will do up top together, but the work rate will be there. 

Lee seems to be undroppable under Jackson. Not even been subbed off by JJ I don't think?

Also think Burstow and Washington up top just confirms zero goals scored, and mean we never hold the ball up up top. If Washington is fit, he has to start with Chuks.
  • Options
    Any kind of win will do, and how's about a goal from the skipper, 1-0 Pearce screamer ,ok he bundles one in from a corner. 
  • Options
    Good preview mate, these ones I always find difficult myself. Fleetwood aren't a great club to write about, they have had a change in manager themselves, but also we just don't know what the squad will look like tomorrow.

MacGillivray
    Clare Inniss Famewo
    Leko Gilbey Dobson Lee Purrington
    Aneke Washington

Henderson, Pearce, Castillo, Morgan, Jaiyesimi, Blackett-Taylor, Burstow

Charlton Athletic 2-0 Fleetwood Town
    Aneke
    Washington
  • Options
    edited January 2022
                   MacG
          Clare Inniss Famewo
    Leko                            Castillo
                    Watson
             Pratley Watson
           Watson   Aneke   
  • Options
    He’s back again tomorrow. Here’s to 3 points! 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
                   MacG
          Clare Inniss Famewo
    Leko                            Castillo
                    Watson
             Pratley Watson
           Watson   Aneke   
    Nurse! Nurse!
  • Options
    we need a win and IF we can't beat Fleetwood at home then we are in real trouble .. Fleetwood are in better form that us and are making a good fist of staying out of the relegation zone .. I hope our players  are not in a 'nothing to platy for' frame of mind and are ready to rumble .. get and keep them  motivated J J 

CAFC 2 v Fleetwood Town 0
  • Options
    We need a win badly tomorrow, given that 5 of the 7 league games to the end of February are against credible promotion or play-off contenders. Defeat tomorrow (however unlikely) and we really are looking over our shoulders.

I hope Washington is fit but suspect he may not be quite ready, in which event it will be Chuks and Mason Burstow up top again. Elliot Lee needs a rest but unfortunately we haven't really got anyone who is effective in that central attacking role just behind the forwards, so I expect he'll play. Hopefully MacGillivray and Purrington will be back to add some much needed solidity.
  • Options
    Most of our wins this season have Gilbey and Purrington in the team. Did JJ panic a tad because the way we play with 3-5-2 they are needed until we have better player to replace them ( that applies to every player)

Because of illness and postponements the last home game I got too was Ipswich where Gilbey was superb. Desperately need Stockley and Aneke with Washington being fit and young Mason Burstow playing Cameos as our midfield/wingers/etc Lee, Gilbey, DJ,Leko, Kirk, CBT and Morgan hardly ever score (when picked) 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Blucher said:
    We need a win badly tomorrow, given that 5 of the 7 league games to the end of February are against credible promotion or play-off contenders. Defeat tomorrow (however unlikely) and we really are looking over our shoulders.

I hope Washington is fit but suspect he may not be quite ready, in which event it will be Chuks and Mason Burstow up top again. Elliot Lee needs a rest but unfortunately we haven't really got anyone who is effective in that central attacking role just behind the forwards, so I expect he'll play. Hopefully MacGillivray and Purrington will be back to add some much needed solidity.
    They’ve just beaten Rotherham and we’ve lost form and are struggling for wins. Think it’ll be close!
  • Options
    I hope we don’t keep on hoofing the ball up to Chuks. He’s much better with the ball at his feet.
  • Options
    Hard luck FA, we always seem to sign a player after you have done your preview. I assume Castillo will be on the bench, but I am not going to guess who he will leave out
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Blucher said:

They’ve just beaten Rotherham and we’ve lost form and are struggling for wins. Think it’ll be close!
    You're probably right but I'm trying to be optimistic. Our players really need to put on a performance
  • Options
    We’ll make the playoffs if we win our last 20 games in a row, keep the faith
  • Options
    We’ll scrape a win but it will be unconvincing.  Not too fussed what the team is to be honest, as long as the likes of Watson and Gunter don’t play.  I only really think we’ve got quality in Dobson, the rest I can take or leave.

Hopefully they can surprise me and play Fleetwood off the pitch.  If we lose I think we’re bang in trouble as per Blucher’s point about our next 7 games….

The players really need to step up
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Gilbey for Lee for me , CBT for Purrington.  I think I would bring Pearce back too.  
  • Options
    I predict cold weather and a crap game of football. 1-1
  • Options
    Another game to dread. Lose tomorrow and we will really be in trouble again. Think we might just sneak this one as surely our defence will not be so generous in their passing as they were last week. 1-0 Leko