Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Big Match ITV 4

Highlights of Charlton Sheffield United from 1981 as 3rd match.

Comments

• Options
    Sweat bands didn't stand the test of time did they.
  • Options
    Just saw this. That pitch!!!
  • Options
    Did you notice after our second goal that Paul Walsh had a different shirt to the rest of the team, a different shade of yellow; no blue collar and nothing on the arms?
  • Options
    Have set the record button to watch later. 

Martin Peters was player manager if the Blades. 

I think that this was the game where Peter Shaw went on a Beckenbauerisq serging run. 
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Have set the record button to watch later. 

Martin Peters was player manager if the Blades. 

I think that this was the game where Peter Shaw went on a Beckenbauerisq serging run. 
    Scrub that I was talking about the home match which was also televised. 

Was this the away game where we wore a Sheffield Wednesday kit? 
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited January 2022
    I missed it but you can see the match on ITV hub on catch up, I believe
  • Options
    No we had a yellow and blue Charlton strip on.  
  • Options
    I was at the game. I thought due to a mix up we played in Sheffield Uniteds away kit? 
  • Options
    I was at the game. I thought due to a mix up we played in Sheffield Uniteds away kit? 
    No it was a Wednesday kit. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Maybe, was yellow and blue so assumed it was ours but could have been SW's
  • Options
    From these games i cant help but admire Paul Walsh. Real exciting player. 
  • Options
    Here's the home match highlights v Sheffield United 1980/1 season. some great movement up front. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzRLTdqUY3k
    Was that Les Berry on the run down the left hand side around 45 seconds in ?
  • Options
    Yes correct Wednesday away kit. 

Three memories of the day. We were held at a service station for an hour as the match was in doubt due to the icy weather. During the second half there was a massive roar. Apparently Wednesday were losing. Cue a chant of Jackie Charlton has fucked it up again.

Finally after the loss a Blade shouted at us as we boarded the coach that we should stay down with them. We went up and they were relegated to Division 4!!
  • Options
    Yes.
  • Options
    Seem to remember Rotherham v Colchester was rained off so the TV went to Bramall Lane instead. We had to borrow a set of shirts from Wednesday as we'd only taken up a set with our sponsors name on them, those were banned on telly in those days. Utter mudheap of a pitch if I recall correctly.
  • Options
    Wasn’t it a case that we had FADS on our shirts and the TV cameras couldn’t show it?
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    I remember the home game. Traveled back into London on the train with a couple of Blades fans who were close to tears!
  • Options
    Charlton v Hull
    just starting
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Really enjoyed the match. Hatrick from Killer and Bremner playing for Hull. Colin Powell was really good and a great interview with Killer in the studio afterwards. Those were the days !
  • Options
    Really enjoyed the match. Hatrick from Killer and Bremner playing for Hull. Colin Powell was really good and a great interview with Killer in the studio afterwards. Those were the days !
    Bremner was shite!!
  • Options
    saw myself at the front - HUGE collars on my shirt!
  • Options
    I had a look under “available episodes” on Sky and there is a FA cup programme from 1981, with brief highlights of our 5th round tie at Ipswich. Also, there’s a young Colin Walsh playing for Forest, they huffed and puffed to a win over Bristol City. They had a good excuse, they had flown to Japan and back the previous week for the world club championship.
  • Options
    5.55pm tonight - Fulham vs Charlton - 1977 - with George Best playing for Fulham - on ITV 4
  • Options
    Interesting interview with Brian Moore, Keith Peacock and a Fulham player whose name I didn't catch. They spoke like normal people, being honest about mistakes and issues in the team, seemed totally different from todays media trained and non-controversial players comments. 
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    Interesting interview with Brian Moore, Keith Peacock and a Fulham player whose name I didn't catch. They spoke like normal people, being honest about mistakes and issues in the team, seemed totally different from todays media trained and non-controversial players comments. 
    Alan Slough was the Fulham player. 
  • Options
    Loved the pitch and goal mouth...
  • Options
    How bad did Fulham look consider they had Moore , Marsh and Best in the side . 
  • Options
    They had the Christmas one on last week (1976 I think) where Elton John was presenting with Keegan and Channon as co-hosts.

It was so bad, it was almost brilliant.