Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

German POWs

2»

Comments

• Options
    fadgadget said:
    Tutt-Tutt said:
    POWs from the Camp on Shooters Hill Golf course and from RAF Kidbrooke, were used as Labourers in the building of the Evelyn Estate in Kidbrooke, for families bombed out in Deptford. The area was Manor Farm during the war, the closest Dairy Farm to London. My father-in-law, who was born in Woolwich Road in 1919, opposite the Dog Track, called the Farm the "Nine Fields" when he was a boy. The Evelyn Estate is based around Dursley and Holbourne Road.

We had an Italian family move onto the Green a few years ago. I've told them their house was built in 1946 by Italian POWs. Built by Italians, lived in by Italians 70'years later. Strange world.

Isn't this where the expression " Jerry Built" Came From ?
    Yes. I think there were some low rise blocks on Achilles St in New Cross that were built by POWs, presumably under the LCC. They're due to be knocked down in the next few years but I remember a bloke I used to work with who was a surveyor and when they took one of the walls out in the flats there were newspapers from the 1940s there under the plaster. 
  • Options
    Interesting thread this - not something I've ever really thought or heard about
  • Options
    My Mum, who lived in Lenthorpe Rd during the War, mentioned the Italian POWs and again, they weren’t in the least bit interested in escaping. 
  • Options
    Interesting comments here around the Russians treatment of the Germans when they captured them as POWs.

Firstly, you have to remember that the Russians and Nazis signed a non-aggression pact that Hitler reneged on and invaded Russia - unforgivable to the Russians.

Then the German treatment of ordinary Russians as they moved across the country, murder, rape, torture of women and children was absolutely despicable, nothing of its like had been seen for generations.

So, when the tables were turned, many in the Red Army decided that what was good for the goose was most certainly good for the gander and so they, in turn, did what they did to avenge what had been done to their own people.

Without the Russians the war would never have been won, they turned the German war machine around, albeit at a huge sacrifice and the ramifications of those events linger on nearly eighty years later.
  • Options
    Interesting comments here around the Russians treatment of the Germans when they captured them as POWs.

Firstly, you have to remember that the Russians and Nazis signed a non-aggression pact that Hitler reneged on and invaded Russia - unforgivable to the Russians.

Then the German treatment of ordinary Russians as they moved across the country, murder, rape, torture of women and children was absolutely despicable, nothing of its like had been seen for generations.

So, when the tables were turned, many in the Red Army decided that what was good for the goose was most certainly good for the gander and so they, in turn, did what they did to avenge what had been done to their own people.

Without the Russians the war would never have been won, they turned the German war machine around, albeit at a huge sacrifice and the ramifications of those events linger on nearly eighty years later.
    Whilst I mostly agree I have to say the war would gave been won. It might have taken longer but Germany had next to no naval presence due to the utter dominance of the Royal navy, they had begun to run out of fuel, oil and materials even before heading East. They had the entire British Empire to contend with and all the resourcefulness, manpower, logistics and crucially fuel and oil that came with it. Their pilots were knackered and they were running out of them and planes. We would have essentially starved them out until they ground to a complete meltdown. They had to invade Russia not only for Hitlers hatred of the Soviets but for the oil resources in the caucauses and food in Ukraine, in doing so they sent so much manpower into a meat grinder of epic proportions and that was what the winter didn't do to kill Nazis. 

Italy had let him down, his only hope was Japan occupying allied resources in the Pacific but again. The Japanese never had a sustainable battle model, their way was travel and fight light, overwhelm the enemy and take all their food, equipment and supplies. The Wermacht or more specifically Hitlers view was the war was about total, absolute victory or annihilation for the 3rd Reich. The idiot 
  • Options

Dont the Russians deny to this day what they did in retaliation when they invaded Germany towards the end of the war - Antony Beevor (excellent author - Especially: Stalingrad, and the Fall of Berlin) is banned from ever going to Russia, because of what he wrote in the latter.
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IthTp5casyk&list=PLoOh1dr5WC8lrOZe_OBj1XEZN-Va_ISHu&index=5

Coincidently @BobK has found and uploaded the 1947 FA Cup Quarter Final video to the Charlton Athletic Museum Youtube channel which features German POWs clearing the terraces at the Valley of snow and ice.

Like, Comment and Subscribe.