Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Who have Charlton played the most times?

edited January 2022 in General Charlton
I think it's either Pompey or Boro, does anyone know and on how many occasions have we faced those two?

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2022
    The Handbooks used to contain a summary of our record against every opponent.

I'd look there.

Failing that ...

Charlton Athletic football club: record v other sides (11v11.com)

Portsmouth 111 (W37 D28 L46)
    Middlesbrough 106 (W36 D25 L45)
    Millwall 76 (W12 D27 L37)
    Crewe 8 (W6 D1 L1*)

* I was there 
  • Options
    v Portsmouth
    Games won:37
    Games drawn:28
    Games lost:46
  • Options
    Pompey 111
    Boro  106

Monday will be Charlton's 4000th league game.
    I trust the club will make some sort of announcement, as that's a massive milestone
  • Options
    Pompey 111
    Boro  106

I trust the club will make some sort of announcement, as that's a massive milestone
    And now I've got to know... what was game # 3000, game # 2000 & game # 1000 ? :-)
  • Options
    Pompey 111
    Boro  106

And now I've got to know... what was game # 3000, game # 2000 & game # 1000 ? :-)
    If you followed the museum on twitter you'd already know 😉 
  • Options
    We played Southampton in the Andy Nelson days, there was a big splash in the programme about it being our 2000th league game. Could have been 1975, not sure. Can't remember anything about our 3000th, would have been around 2000 I guess.
  • Options
    Blimey so those of us who can remember us in 1975 (like me) have been around as fans for over half of Charlton’s league performances. 

Now I feel very old…
  • Options
    Pompey 111
    Boro  106

How many defeats ?
    Whatever it is you can add another to to the total next Monday. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2022
    Amazed that we’ve only played Crewe eight times in our history. One of those sides that I’d imagined we were probably always playing at some point in time - the same way that nowadays we tend to always be playing sides like Portsmouth or Sunderland.

I read somewhere recently that two relatively equal clubs (maybe Southampton and Reading) had only played each other a handful of times in all their history. How is that possible?! They’re basically the same club. 
  • Options
    Blimey so those of us who can remember us in 1975 (like me) have been around as fans for over half of Charlton’s league performances. 

Now I feel very old…
    Never thought of like that before!

About that time they featured an old boy in the programme who’d been at our first league game in 1921 and was still going (Charlie Chatfield?), he used to stand in the (original) Covered end in the late 70’s. 
  • Options

Now I feel very old…

About that time they featured an old boy in the programme who’d been at our first league game in 1921 and was still going (Charlie Chatfield?), he used to stand in the (original) Covered end in the late 70’s. 
    During the late sixties I used to alternate between watching Charlton and going to Highbury with a friend who supported Arsenal. We used to get there taking the RACS coaches from Woolwich and it’s only recently that made me think that some of the supporters on those coaches in their sixties would probably have been following Arsenal since they played in Plumstead.
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:

I'd look there.

Failing that ...

Crewe 8 (W6 D1 L1*)

* I was there 

So basically, we're shit 
  • Options
    Looks like we usually give teams from the north east a bit of a battering.

Beat Hull 20 times...only lost to them on 12 occasions.

Hull crap their pants whenever they see #cafc 
  • Options

Now I feel very old…
    I'm feeling very old thinking about this now. I saw my first Charlton game in 1971. Back then my dad used to tell me about seeing us win the FA Cup. That seemed like a lifetime away to me as a young boy. In fact it was more than that. Those 24 years were the equivalent of three of my lifetimes.

1971 is now 51 years back in the past. 51 years back in the other direction would take us back to 1920. Charlton would be playing in the Southern League. So, the time I first called myself a Charlton fan was actually nearer to us being non-league minnows than to us being the giants we are today. I think I need a lie down. 
  • Options

Now I feel very old…

During the late sixties I used to alternate between watching Charlton and going to Highbury with a friend who supported Arsenal. We used to get there taking the RACS coaches from Woolwich and it’s only recently that made me think that some of the supporters on those coaches in their sixties would probably have been following Arsenal since they played in Plumstead.
    Funny that I remember going to see Arsenal v Newcastle must have been 69/70 and I remember getting a coach from Woolwich Arsenal.

I thought I imagined it.
  • Options
    Pompey 111
    Boro  106

2.7% of our games have been against Portsmouth

• Options
    Dave Rudd said:

I'd look there.

Failing that ...

Crewe 8 (W6 D1 L1*)

* I was there 
    To beat Millwall in less than one in six games is the definition of embarrassment. If only we could pretend we were playing Crewe instead!
  • Options
    edited January 2022

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2022
    Not surprised that Middlesbrough are right up there. I've seen us play them 28 times since 1982.....that's my joint highest along with Charlton v QPR or QPR v Charlton.

Whole clutch of clubs on 24; Spurs, Watford, Palace, Wolves, Derby & Fulham.