Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Home thoughts from abroad

Located some 454 miles from London I took in today’s feast of the SPL. It  featured Ross County against the mighty Glasgow Rangers delivered seamlessly across the pond to my tv screen here in the USA. Why might you ask? Well for one the Addicks weren’t playing and I wanted to chart the progress of a certain goalkeeper namely Ashley Maynard Brewer. To my surprise a certain ex Addick Charles Cook also represented the highlanders. Then of course there was Joe Aribo who was perhaps the stand out player in the Rangers squad.
In terms of quality the game resembled something you might expect to see in League 1. Perhaps the conditions played a part in a largely forgettable affair. A bright sunny start to the game petered out to a dull dismal mist rolling in from the Peffery toward the end. Rangers took the lead from a delightful Aribo pass across the box which was easily dispatched by Diablo. What followed was typical Scottish goalkeeping fare with McGregor making a mess of his gardening and gifting county with two simple goals. Not to be outdone AMB then caught the bug and failed to hold on to a shot (sound familiar) to gift Rangers with a simple tap in. The turgid sloppy affair continued with Aribo featuring in most of Rangers’ best efforts. AMB pulled off a sharp save but the ball fell loose and was eventually recycled and put in the net. The final late action involved another howler from McGregor and a simple tap in for the Highlanders to level the scores.
How I wish that I was there. No not for the football but for the idyllic scenery and the wonderful train journey from Inverness through Dingwall to the Kyle of Lochalsh. The road journey is pretty good too!

Comments

• I think most of the Highland train services were off today, because of Storm Malik...
  • Nice part of the world Dingwall, you'd never think it would be a place where a Premier league side was located.