Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Do you think this was a scam or not?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Not sure you should be allowed out without your wife @sam3110 - far too trusting for this cruel world. 
  • Options
    What a coincidence…..I was in Purley Way a couple of weeks back and a couple tried this on me and said they wanted to go to Wellington Gardens.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Have you reported it to the police?
  • Options
    They had access to a phone, so lots of things are possible - online banking etc, but it does seem a lot of effort to get 30 quid off you. 
  • Options
    I was driving back from Scotland on Monday, stopped at a service station, as I was walking in, a bloke stopped me and asked if I had PayPal on my phone. I just said no and carried on, I thought straight away it was a scam.
  • Options
    Good they carried your shopping home.

Reckon you scammed them!
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Lend them the money, but cut his ear off. Tell him not to panic, you'll keep the ear in the freezer and he can have it back when he returns with the money he's borrowed.

Quite simple really
  • Options
    If you felt 50/50 about it, then they must have been reasonably good at acting.

I think moral of the story is, never trust a stranger who asks for something. 

I never give change to homeless people. I don't know who can be trusted and always in doubt about it.

"Excuse me mate, you got any spare change?" 

Will always be followed with a firm...no I don't.

Anyone who is genuinely desperately asking for help will most likely appear to be quite nervous and perhaps a bit embarrassed. 

• Options
    Gribbo said:
    Lend them the money, but cut his ear off. Tell him not to panic, you'll keep the ear in the freezer and he can have it back when he returns with the money he's borrowed.

Quite simple really
    Ah the old ‘no one nose’ trick but with a bit of Van Gogh, like it. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Being married is a scam yes. 
  • Options
    Jokes aside, if I had the cash in my pocket and was put on the spot, I'd have that urge to let them borrow it and see how it panned out.

I picked a couple of swampi type hitchhikers here in France once. They were going north as he was organising festival of Mongolian throat music up there somewhere. I had about an hour and half of him and his Mrs doing this up the motorway, him playing along on his bongo drums. -

https://youtu.be/6WlI24rv__g

Nb - They weren't as good as Batzorig Vaanchig. I found him when I Googled Mongolian throat music when I got home that night and actually liked some of it
  • Options
    I fell for this scam about 5 years ago thinking I’m was being helpful. The same scam has been tried a couple of times since. If fact, only last week I was stopped by a young lady in Marylebone lane asking for financial help because of whatever her excuse was. And she was a corker! 
  • Options
    The sooner @ElfsborgAddick pisses off to Brazil, the better.
    Last seen entering Jordan.
    She says I'm the best.
  • Options
    100% scam. It’s been happening in Woolwich by the Royal Arsenal development for ages unfortunately. 
  • Options
    At Kuala Lumpur Airport, a woman who had been backpacking claimed she had left her passport at a hostel. She needed money to go back to the hostel to collect it and get back for her flight. I checked she had papers for a flight home and gave her the money. I think it was genuine but I’ll never know.
  • Options
    Reminds me of a time back in about May 1987 when I was cycling to work (Eltham to London return each day) to save money on train fares.  One evening I got a puncture and was only at London Bridge station.  I had no money or cards.  British Rail staff refused to hear my plight.  I plucked up the courage to ask someone for a few pounds to buy a ticket.  It was extremely difficult as as  19 year old to convince business commuters it was real situation (pushing a bike with a flat tyre!)  After about 4 I got lucky and he gave me some coins (enough to get home).  He gave me a business card and said pay me when you can.  I dropped off the money the next day at his office .... I was grateful but at the time felt very vulnerable and British Rail wouldn't help me out.  Lesson learnt ... be more prepared.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Dave2l said:
    If you felt 50/50 about it, then they must have been reasonably good at acting.

I think moral of the story is, never trust a stranger who asks for something. 

I never give change to homeless people. I don't know who can be trusted and always in doubt about it.

"Excuse me mate, you got any spare change?" 

Will always be followed with a firm...no I don't.

Anyone who is genuinely desperately asking for help will most likely appear to be quite nervous and perhaps a bit embarrassed. 
    There was a fella in New York who’s line was “Money for alcohol. Honesty’s the best policy”. 
    I think he did better than the  ‘I need a dollar to get home’ brigade. 
  • Options
    Please report it to police, hopefully there will be some cctv of the suspect(s)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    *AFKA looking up Sam’s registering email address to send Nigerian Dollars request
    if you receive Nigerian 'Dollars' @AFKABartram then I fear it is you who will have been scammed