Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

STATBANK: CHARLTON 3-2 AFC WIMBLEDON

many thanks to the 79 Lifers who gave marks and to Leuth and Aliwibble who made it all possible

Comments

• 9 of the 11 that got marks started the first game of the season...... 6 of them and 2 of the subs played in the last game of last season. 

Then you look back at the marks for the the first game of the season and see all the injured/ill/not here yets. 

What does it mean?  Not a lot really.

I think it's right that we have won one game all season that Stockley nor Chuks started and that was arguably the best performance of the season.  Funny old game. 
  • To me Dobson feels a bit overmarked in comparison to the players below him, who all contributed significantly to our 3 goals.

Of course he played well, but it's not as if he completely snuffed out the opposition midfield or didn't make mistakes either
  • I gave Dobson the same mark as DJ, in a game where DJ frankly sparkled, and I am the DJ Defender. That should tell you how good Dobson was and generally always is
  • To me Dobson feels a bit overmarked in comparison to the players below him, who all contributed significantly to our 3 goals.

Of course he played well, but it's not as if he completely snuffed out the opposition midfield or didn't make mistakes either
    I often find this occurs with fan favourites. 
  • edited February 2022
    Conceded goal times are most interesting to me.

You expect to score & concede more as the game approaches HT/FT but the spike to 12 at the end of the first half is out of whack with the rest and perhaps suggests lapses in concentration?

If we could cut out half a dozen of those goals 31-HT, our goal difference would look a lot healthier. And no doubt we'd be higher up the table.

• Dazzler21 said:
    To me Dobson feels a bit overmarked in comparison to the players below him, who all contributed significantly to our 3 goals.

I often find this occurs with fan favourites. 
    I love Dobson but he sold himself twice in the middle of the pitch and was left behind .  It was definitely not his best game but he was still good .  
  • That next 5 games league form table is daunting be it in league 1 or championship or wherever. In next 5 games we play 4 of the top five form sides in the division.
  • Maybe he made a mistake or two, but come on, it's the Third Division.

It's easy to overlook what Dobson  does for the team off the ball. 
    And he's holding the shape and creating the platform for the more creative players to do their thing.

• edited February 2022
    Conceded goal times are most interesting to me.

You expect to score & concede more as the game approaches HT/FT but the spike to 12 at the end of the first half is out of whack with the rest and perhaps suggests lapses in concentration?

If we could cut out half a dozen of those goals 31-HT, our goal difference would look a lot healthier. And no doubt we'd be higher up the table.

Even more interesting stat related to those dozen goals...

AFC Wimbledon (H) : 1 (set piece, free header)
    Cheltenham (A) : 1 (goalkeeper spilled shot)
    Crewe (A) : 2 (goalkeeper spilled shot + set piece, barely contested header)
    Wycombe (H) : 1 (bad defensive shape lets them in behind)
    Plymouth (A) : 1 (goalkeeper saved shot and scored on rebound)
    Rotherham (H) : 1 (cross into box not dealt with properly)

Seven of the twelve (58%) league goals conceded under Jacko have come in the 31-HT time band. Switching off before half time is perhaps a previously undiagnosed problem?

By no means is it realistic to stop all seven of these (we are in League One after all) but most of these goals were avoidable - you would've liked to have seen 4-5 kept out.
  • Sponsored links:

• Oggy Red said:
    Maybe he made a mistake or two, but come on, it's the Third Division.

It's easy to overlook what Dobson  does for the team off the ball. 
    And he's holding the shape and creating the platform for the more creative players to do their thing.

Nobody's saying he isn't a good player or an important player for us, just questioning whether he should be MOTM this game

I think Dobbo is probably our best player at the moment, but like you I think on this occasion he is over marked just the same as Morgan is under marked. Jacko subbed the wrong midfielder, Gilbey is the one who should have gone off, he is too similar in style to Fraser.
  • I like these simple but very telling graphs produced by Callumcafc as it clearly shows a loss of concentration in the last 15-20 minutes of each half for both sides. I have never studied this part of the game before in detail. The additional information behind how the goals were scored also highlights weaknesses which led up to the goals. 

If the players were made more consciencious of these facts, (its more likely that they are) perhaps we could exploit it more to make a significant difference?

I also wonder whether separate graphs would show a marked difference between the Adkins era and JJ`s?  This season has definitely been two separate halves for results but would they look very different or be very similar?