Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

AFKA…….Could Patrick Collins be our man?

edited February 2022 in General Charlton
AFKA stated in the Laurence Bassini thread that he wishes there was a decent sports journalist out there who could do a proper in depth number on the scum bags who are getting increasingly involved in the mirky world of inappropriate purchasing and control of British football clubs purely for short term profit.
I can think of no one better to contact than our very own Patrick Collins, who although now retired from his position as head of sport for the Daily Mail is now none other than President of the SJA…..Sports Journalist Association.
Patrick, from his home on the Blackheath/Lewisham border, has been an Addick for many years and has a deep affection for the club and from time to time turns up for celebration dinners etc…..as well as games.
As already stated he has been officially retired for some years now but could he be encouraged to make one last hurrah and get his teeth stuck into a great cause and riveting story?
Even if he himself doesn’t fancy the task on his own, surely if anyone, he would know exactly who to approach on our behalf to run with it. Maybe as a joint project…..who knows!
I am not in the position to put this to Patrick myself but someone out there could maybe get a small delegation together for a meeting with Patrick, give him a copy of the Southall file to mull over and see how to move the idea forward.
I am sure he has already been keeping abreast of the clubs woes over the last few years and with luck he may decide to get involved himself or at least point us in the right direction…..after all, with his position at the SJA who better to ask.
Prague @PragueAddick, maybe you’d like to look into this, or even some of you CAST guys?

Comments

• Options
    Patrick was a very recent guest of Bromley Addicks. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Panorama were very interested, but we were snookered by covid. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Panorama we’re very interested, but we were snookered by covid. 
    It does amaze me there is not more coverage of the dodgy characters in the game.
  • Options
    Pat is indeed a Charlton fanatic,often saw him in the Swan many years ago after gamest .The Mail have two very fine sports journalists,Martin Samuel and Oliver Holt who are not averse to digging out the rights and wrongs in all sports.It would be great if Pat could have a word with these guys and possibly get Southall and his mates some much needed national public scrutiny.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    It does amaze me there is not more coverage of the dodgy characters in the game.
    It’s a legal minefield for a tv company. I think it would help massively if Southall was convicted of an offence. Hopefully just a matter of time. 
  • Options
    Patrick Collins is 78 years old and (as you say) retired. If he's got the energy, he might have the time. But I wouldn't bank on it.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    It’s a legal minefield for a tv company. I think it would help massively if Southall was convicted of an offence. Hopefully just a matter of time. 
    Given how much time is devoted to football on tv it seems pretty inexcusable how little coverage the mismanagement of the EFL gets. There seems to be little desire to protect the football pyramid - we overdose on inane coverage of the Premier League.
    100%. We do get 5 mins of propaganda for the Premier League every MOTD.
    Amazing all the dodgy stuff in insurance, banking, big business, politics and Premier League is squeaky clean and so is EFL. Aren't we wonderful??

• Options
    Someone call up Roger Cook and The United Nations
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Patrick Collins is 78 years old and (as you say) retired. If he's got the energy, he might have the time. But I wouldn't bank on it.
    Of course Stig…..but I am given to understand that he still has all his marbles and is bright as a button.
    Surely we can at least ask his advice……..if nothing else.🤞
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pat is indeed a Charlton fanatic,often saw him in the Swan many years ago after gamest .The Mail have two very fine sports journalists,Martin Samuel and Oliver Holt who are not averse to digging out the rights and wrongs in all sports.It would be great if Pat could have a word with these guys and possibly get Southall and his mates some much needed national public scrutiny.
    the same Martin Samuel who only a few months ago said that we wanted curbs out and Palace fans should not make the same mistake as their neighbours by sacking Vieira. 
  • Options
    He doesn’t necessarily have to approach current Daily Mail journos.
    He will be well aware of a number of top draw people who he could approach from various sections of the media.
  • Options
    Martin Samuel is a two bob journalist who jumps on the populous bandwagon. He showed his true colours ( claret and blue)  when the Olympic stadium was being sorted. 
  • Options
    Martin Samuel is a two bob journalist who jumps on the populous bandwagon. He showed his true colours ( claret and blue)  when the Olympic stadium was being sorted. 
    I like him