Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Learning a Foreign Language, In Older Age

Comments

• Options
    There's so much good advice there. The difficulty for me learning has been that all of my wife's friends and family switch to English when speaking to me, or even when I'm in the room, to be polite, whereas shop staff all switch immediately etc. As they are all pretty much bilingual it has made me lazy, but I'm trying to focus on my goal of living there and using Swedish as I will need to learn professional grade level language, oral and written, which really intimidates me at this early stage of learning.

My wife is so proficient in English that she now 'thinks' in English whilst going about her day.

Thanks all for your very useful tips
    I know that I have already said it before but I must stress that you insist on them stopping this if you want to reach your goals.

With your wife in private conversations I must concede that it is 'impossible.' I have never met anyone who has managed it, myself included. With my wife, I spoke to her in French for four months without even knowing that she could speak English. That worked fine but when I tried to do this in Spanish (her native language) we couldn't stick to it. Nevertheless, with her family, in a group setting, it is possible. The family just have to be patient and understand that your subject range is limited.
  • Options
    Watch films and programmes in Swedish with English subtitles, then when you feel more confident, re-watch without. You can switch it around too if you want to learn to write as well as speak; watch in English with Swedish subtitles or even in Swedish with Swedish subtitles - with Spanish,  I find they speak so quickly, sometimes I can't pick out some words as they run into one another. And seeing the words in Spanish in the subtitles helps
    You are right about that:

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2019/09/28/why-are-some-languages-spoken-faster-than-others
  • Options
    Echo @jimmymelrose I learnt Norwegian conversationally when I had a Norwegian gf, and we tried to have conversations all the time in her language. I've forgotten loads but coped when I visited relatives in Sweden a couple of years ago.  It's the only language I learned any of through speaking rather than books/courses and I'm not very good but can swear really well.  Swedish/Norwegian are not that different from English, we just think they are. If you know stuff like what Geordies or Scots call things you'll have some of the vocab without realising (child is barn, church is kirk). And don't get flustered by the accents - once you've got the sounds of the additional vowels they're all sounds we have in English, just not separate letters. 
    And watch some scandi-noir or suchlike. 
    Good luck. 
  • Options
    I don't envy you trying to learn a language once you're older but there's been some great tips in this thread.

Like all things you want to get good at, you have to put your hours in. Persistence is key. If you're using an app, make sure you use it everyday. 

1-2-1 classes can be really beneficial. I teach English as a foreign language on Italki.com and I'm sure there'll be some good Swedish teachers on there to suit you. It's very flexible hours wise and they have different teachers to suit different budgets. I do mine on Skype, or you can use the Italki video class room. Find the right teacher and you'll crack it. 

• Options
    Watch films and programmes in Swedish with English subtitles, then when you feel more confident, re-watch without. You can switch it around too if you want to learn to write as well as speak; watch in English with Swedish subtitles or even in Swedish with Swedish subtitles - with Spanish,  I find they speak so quickly, sometimes I can't pick out some words as they run into one another. And seeing the words in Spanish in the subtitles helps
    You are right about that:

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2019/09/28/why-are-some-languages-spoken-faster-than-others
    Yes, I even checked that out a while back to see if was just me being a bit slow!
  • Options
    There's so much good advice there. The difficulty for me learning has been that all of my wife's friends and family switch to English when speaking to me, or even when I'm in the room, to be polite, whereas shop staff all switch immediately etc. As they are all pretty much bilingual it has made me lazy, but I'm trying to focus on my goal of living there and using Swedish as I will need to learn professional grade level language, oral and written, which really intimidates me at this early stage of learning.

My wife is so proficient in English that she now 'thinks' in English whilst going about her day.

It wouldn't be a problem is learning Afrikaans as my experience is that they have no problem not switching to English. In fact, I've often found they will switch to Afrikaans!
  • Options

I know that I have already said it before but I must stress that you insist on them stopping this if you want to reach your goals.

With your wife in private conversations I must concede that it is 'impossible.' I have never met anyone who has managed it, myself included. With my wife, I spoke to her in French for four months without even knowing that she could speak English. That worked fine but when I tried to do this in Spanish (her native language) we couldn't stick to it. Nevertheless, with her family, in a group setting, it is possible. The family just have to be patient and understand that your subject range is limited.
    You've got a point here @jimmymelrose

My longterm native French GF is a proper Anglophile, has lived  and worked in the UK, brought up her 2 kids to be fluent in English, immersed herself in British culture (particularly passionate about English books and films) -  and as a recently retired English schoolteacher, probably speaks better English than I do (!).

She moved back to Marseille to help care for her 99 year old Mum (who still lives on her own) and I go out to stay with her as often as I can.
    But get her to speak French with me? You must be joking ......all she wants to do is chatter away in Anglais!

But she's there on the spot if I want to get my pronunciation right. And I pick up loads if she's blabbering away with her friends.
    I can sometimes push her to talk a bit of French with me ..... but then she naturally reverts to normal rapid French, leaving me floundering, loses patience - and so back to English haha 

I have better luck with her friends and family ...... they will slow down and simplify their normal French conversation so that I can join in. I really appreciate that.
    Her eldest sister has a smattering of English and when in difficulty, the two of us can always make ourselves understood with Franglais, mixing words of both languages in the same sentence haha. The purists may throw their hands up in horror (like my GF does)- but it works! And it's fun, we laugh about it together and we both pick up loads of new words and in the context of how to use them. 

I don't have any fear of going to shops or bars, I'm invariably clearly understood and people are usually good  with me.
    Although some will  also seize their chance to practice their own English with a native Brit ...... visualise the scene where I'm asking the questions in French and they reply in English; the conversation will go on for 5 minutes like that! And when I return to their shops, I'm recognised and greeted with a big smile and the same scenario starts all over again!

I learn quickly this way and remember this conversational French far more effectively than putting in the hours with books and Duolingo.
    Of course, you do first need a bit of a base of grammatical understanding and vocabulary to get you started but the rest begins to fall into place just by the actual experience of having to do it in real life.

Anyway, sorry about rambling on ...... just my actual experiences of jumping in at the deep end and giving it my best shot.
    I feel it's really helped me.

• Options
    Solidgone said:
    I’ve found that learning German and now Spanish I lean towards the reading aspect of a language more so than speaking it. However, I was surprised how much Spanish I had learnt and was able to get through a basic conversation with non English speakers whilst visiting friends in Columbia. I find their accents and pace of speaking tends to be a tad slower than in Spain. Anyway I continue to learn Spanish but hit a block a week ago. Sound advice given to me is to barge through it and carry on! 
    Good luck. 
    My confidence has been smashed to pieces since I’ve been in Barrenquila. Staying with my friend’s sister and family. I can’t understand a word. I tried to speak a bit of Spanish and they just look bemused. Its so different than Bogotá. I’m off to Ecuador tomorrow and hoping I can regain my confidence. 
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Here's a few that worked for me. The fact that you're moving over there and can properly immerse yourself in it should really help.
    • Do 1-2-1 lessons as often as possible. Worth the investment if you find a teacher you enjoy chatting to.
    • Meet up with a ‘tandem partner’. Sites like Conversation Exchange help you find people who want to practise your language, while you can practise theirs. 
    • Pick a local football team and follow them on social media / TV etc. It’s easier to pick up language via something you are naturally interested in. 
    • See if they do Mundo Lingo language events. These are relaxed meet-ups in bars where you can practice with people in the same boat, and crucuially with a beer in your hand. 
    • Run errands outside and take cabs (if affordable). Constant mini interactions with people in shops and on the street plus chats with cab drivers are great for nailing some basics and building confidence. 
    • Be patient. Even if it feels like you’re not improving, your brain is laying foundations and also getting a great work-out which has loads of health benefits. 
    Idea three is a fantastic shout, I extended it with the reading of Swedish. The format of a football report would be the same.
    Also, have subtitles when listening, use in both languages, I found that helped.
  • Options
    I am currently watching estate agents on YouTube selling properties in Brasil.
    They are all virtually saying the same thing, it begins to stick.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Having friends that don’t speak English is hugely important, I speak almost entirely in English with my wife, but no one else in her family can speak a word, which helps a lot. 

Not being afraid of making a mistake is hugely important, most people will respect the effort your putting in and try and help you through the - seemingly never ending - tough spots. 
    The least you speak English the easier things will be in the long term.
  • Options
    Great thread this, we have a gaff in France as a 2nd home, just over a year now, plan was of course to learn a decent level of French. I struggled with lessons via zoom as it was basic GCSE level stuff and I couldn’t be arsed with asking what exit of the roundabout goes to Paris etc…. However I now realise it’s all about constructing sentences and eventually the language jigsaw starts to come together. 

My French is still bad but I was able to talk to the local water company in pigeon French over the phone when they accidentally cut off our water supply and arrange a contract with the recycling company none of whom, shock horror spoke English. So felt a tad proud of myself. 

I will take on board some of the interesting words of wisdom on this thread and hopefully my French shall improve gradually. 

Only tip I can give is don’t be afraid to make mistakes when conversing in a foreign language, you will on most occasion be politely corrected and hopefully that will ensure you gain language knowledge and eventually it does all start to make understandable sense. 

Have to say the French numbering system is bloody weird to say the very least & boy do they talk fast.
  • Options

Not being afraid of making a mistake is hugely important, most people will respect the effort your putting in and try and help you through the - seemingly never ending - tough spots. 
    This. 

My experience also. By finding the courage to actually plunge in and have a go, people are usually very helpful.

• Options

Only tip I can give is don’t be afraid to make mistakes when conversing in a foreign language, you will on most occasion be politely corrected and hopefully that will ensure you gain language knowledge and eventually it does all start to make understandable sense. 

Have to say the French numbering system is bloody weird to say the very least & boy do they talk fast.
    And there's the next challenge ....... You have a go and try to converse in French; you're understood well enough ........ until their reply comes back at machine gun speed with an accent you can't penetrate. No amount of GCSE courses prepares you for that! lol

Mind you, most people you speak to will be receptive to a bit of, "Pardon. Un peu lentement, s'il vous plait."
    Or other language equivalent.

• Options
    Solidgone said:
    Solidgone said:
    I’ve found that learning German and now Spanish I lean towards the reading aspect of a language more so than speaking it. However, I was surprised how much Spanish I had learnt and was able to get through a basic conversation with non English speakers whilst visiting friends in Columbia. I find their accents and pace of speaking tends to be a tad slower than in Spain. Anyway I continue to learn Spanish but hit a block a week ago. Sound advice given to me is to barge through it and carry on! 
    Good luck. 
    My confidence has been smashed to pieces since I’ve been in Barrenquila. Staying with my friend’s sister and family. I can’t understand a word. I tried to speak a bit of Spanish and they just look bemused. Its so different than Bogotá. I’m off to Ecuador tomorrow and hoping I can regain my confidence. 
    Don't worry about it @Solidgone. Costeño's speak with a famously strong accent. My wife is from near Bogota and even she struggled to understand what they say when we were in Barranquilla last month. 

I've been speaking Spanish with a degree of fluency for a few years now, but accents you aren't used to can still catch you out at any moment. This won't be a reflection on your level, so just enjoy hearing the different styles and local slang and don't let the fact that you can't converse with people worry you too much. When convos go wrong, just try to laugh it off. Enjoy Ecuador!
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Solidgone said:
    Solidgone said:
    Good luck. 
    Don't worry about it @Solidgone. Costeño's speak with a famously strong accent. My wife is from near Bogota and even she struggled to understand what they say when we were in Barranquilla last month. 

I've been speaking Spanish with a degree of fluency for a few years now, but accents you aren't used to can still catch you out at any moment. This won't be a reflection on your level, so just enjoy hearing the different styles and local slang and don't let the fact that you can't converse with people worry you too much. When convos go wrong, just try to laugh it off. Enjoy Ecuador!
    My French GF's adult son, also a schoolteacher, gave me some good advice once ........ he told me, you "just" :smile:  ........ have to tune in your ear to the right frequency, like you used to do with finding a radio station.

Easier said than done, of course! 

But he's right in a way ..... once you get familiar with a certain accent and way of speech, you know how and what to listen for.
    It's then the unfamiliar accents that throw you!

PS: He also told me to listen for the 'music' of speech. Get familiar with the 'tune' of the way people speak and you'll soon begin to hear how the words fit in with their accent. 
  • Options
    Some good advice there, Elfie. 

I watch quite a bit of French language vids (get started with easy kids' vids!) on Youtube, especially street conversational stuff and activities.
    You can slow it down a bit if you need and watch bits of it over and over again.  You can often switch on subtitles if you're not getting something.
    I also write down some notes of new words/phrases to read out loud later. I might even watch the same vid over and over again - it gets familiar and you find yourself anticipating what's going to be said next.

It's not just about learning new words, phrases though ....... just as importantly it's about training my ear to get familiar with accents and faster speech.
    That's my achilles heel and the biggest challenge to me!

When I'm in France, often the radio is chattering in the kitchen or I watch a fair bit of French TV (Arte is brilliant especially if you like culture), travel, DIY and general activities programmes, where you can see what people are doing and talking about (they tend to talk more slowly when describing what they are doing). News and weather bulletins also - much the same stuff and format, more or less repeated over and over again.

It can really help to read in French with no translation, even if you don't know every word you soon pick up context and understanding.
    I read French newspapers, magazines, leaflets etc, and along with a few books, bring some back home to Cornwall to read at home later.
    I've found it also beneficial to read this stuff out loud on occasion. But it does get you familiar. 

For basic conversation, exclaimations, etc ..... kids books and comics are fantastic.
    I'd always recommend reading a few over and over again. Gets you familiar with ordinary informal conversation and story telling.

It all helps you immerse yourself in the language and culture (learning about the culture helps give you understanding of the mentality).
    I'm sure the same benefits can be applied to Swedish, Spanish, Double Dutch or whatever language people are learning!

@ElfsborgAddick
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Some good advice there, Elfie. 

I watch quite a bit of French language vids (get started with easy kids' vids!) on Youtube, especially street conversational stuff and activities.
    You can slow it down a bit if you need and watch bits of it over and over again.  You can often switch on subtitles if you're not getting something.
    I also write down some notes of new words/phrases to read out loud later. I might even watch the same vid over and over again - it gets familiar and you find yourself anticipating what's going to be said next.

It's not just about learning new words, phrases though ....... just as importantly it's about training my ear to get familiar with accents and faster speech.
    That's my achilles heel and the biggest challenge to me!

When I'm in France, often the radio is chattering in the kitchen or I watch a fair bit of French TV (Arte is brilliant especially if you like culture), travel, DIY and general activities programmes, where you can see what people are doing and talking about (they tend to talk more slowly when describing what they are doing). News and weather bulletins also - much the same stuff and format, more or less repeated over and over again.

It can really help to read in French with no translation, even if you don't know every word you soon pick up context and understanding.
    I read French newspapers, magazines, leaflets etc, and along with a few books, bring some back home to Cornwall to read at home later.
    I've found it also beneficial to read this stuff out loud on occasion. But it does get you familiar. 

For basic conversation, exclaimations, etc ..... kids books and comics are fantastic.
    I'd always recommend reading a few over and over again. Gets you familiar with ordinary informal conversation and story telling.

It all helps you immerse yourself in the language and culture (learning about the culture helps give you understanding of the mentality).
    I'm sure the same benefits can be applied to Swedish, Spanish, Double Dutch or whatever language people are learning!

@ElfsborgAddick
    The penultimate paragraph is spot on, learning a language brings you back to a young child's stage of learning.   I used this for Swedish.

@clb74 still has subscriptions......for English.
  • Options
    I wanted to both like and LOL , Elfie.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I wouldn’t worry they speak perfect English. 
    What strikes me why you didn’t get lessons off your wife ( or kids ) over the last 10 years ? 
  • Options
    What strikes me why you didn’t get lessons off your wife ( or kids ) over the last 10 years ? 
    From experience, it is still VERY important to speak Swedish over there, regardless of the flawless English the majority speak.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    In all honesty, and I don't mind saying img on here, it was down to fear, embarrassment and ridicule.   As a kid I did both French and German at school and was appalling, even after 5 years. So this left me with a hangup of being crap at languages, a bit like some people have with maths. As a result I've kind of avoided making fool of myself, when in reality I feel embarrassed when my in laws ask if I've learned any more Swedish each time I go over. 

I have learned lots in reality, but the fear has prevented me from opening my mouth in a group of people. 

As for why I didn't ask my wife to teach me, well she has tried, but we always revert to English hence no improvement. 

I have vowed that when I move over I will go to language school and crack it.

I tried duolingo and did quite well, but again fear prevented me from taking the next step towards conversation. 

Thanks for all of the views and tips they have been great. 
  • Options
    In all honesty, and I don't mind saying img on here, it was down to fear, embarrassment and ridicule.   As a kid I did both French and German at school and was appalling, even after 5 years. So this left me with a hangup of being crap at languages, a bit like some people have with maths. As a result I've kind of avoided making fool of myself, when in reality I feel embarrassed when my in laws ask if I've learned any more Swedish each time I go over. 

I have learned lots in reality, but the fear has prevented me from opening my mouth in a group of people. 

As for why I didn't ask my wife to teach me, well she has tried, but we always revert to English hence no improvement. 

I tried duolingo and did quite well, but again fear prevented me from taking the next step towards conversation. 

Swedes are very appreciative of us learning the lingo.
     Ha det bra kompis, vi ses snart.
  • Options

Have you tried sinking a couple of bottles of wine. That helped me get over the embarrassment. In fact, they couldn’t shut me up!
  • Options
    From experience, it is still VERY important to speak Swedish over there, regardless of the flawless English the majority speak.
    Agree. I found it was the same in Copenhagen back in the day.

Even though many locals spoke decent English (not always perfect, but fully comprehensible), they would always speak Danish between themselves: family and social; settings, shopping, everyday life, etc.

If you want to feel properly included, it is important to make an effort to learn the lingo. They'll help you along the way and respect you for your efforts.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Agree. I found it was the same in Copenhagen back in the day.

Even though many locals spoke decent English (not always perfect, but fully comprehensible), they would always speak Danish between themselves: family and social; settings, shopping, everyday life, etc.

If you want to feel properly included, it is important to make an effort to learn the lingo. They'll help you along the way and respect you for your efforts.

I found Danish to be VERY different to Swedish. Some of my Swedish mates said it was easier to speak English to the Danes.
  • Options
    In summary, acquiring a new language in adult life depends on 3 things:

motivation
    opportunity
    aptitude

Living in a country doesn’t necessarily mean opportunity. In Sweden they all speak English. This too may affect your motivation- why bother? If, as you describe, you’re not generally very good at languages, then you may lack all three.

If you enjoy it, fair enough, but my guess would be that you’re going to struggle. 
  • Options
    I went to heavy rock festivals in Sweden and Norway. Everyone speaks English. But if you really want to learn their language it is best to do it when you get there. That way you won't have an accent.