Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Derek Ufton memorial Service

Today at 11am until 2pm and being live streamed.
He played for us for a decade and was a director for 25 years. 

Also played cricket for Kent for 13 years.

Seems a bit disrespectful the stream is just linked from Kent CCC and not CAFC. 

https://www.kentcricket.co.uk/event/derek-ufton-memorial-service/

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2022
    Didn’t realise it was live streamed but worth a watch of the recording. Nice speeches by Jonathan Ufton and Neil Durden Smith (me neither). Altogether a great occasion and a fitting send-off for such a fine man.

Lots of Charlton characters there - and they let @Henry Irving in too.

Curbs, Gritty, Lennie, Colin Walsh, Bob Bolder, Richard Murray, Martin Simons, Roger Alwen, Mike Stevens, to name a few present.

• Options
    edited February 2022

@Henry Irving was last seen making off with a pile of these. Probably be on eBay later…
  • Options
    edited February 2022

@Henry Irving was last seen making off with a pile of these. Probably be on eBay later…
    I seem to remember you grabbing a few extra copies yourself @Airman Brown

Mine are for the museum. What's your excuse? 🥲

They won't be on eBay BTW

Noticed you belting out Jerusalem like a good Labour man.

Was a good service and the choral singers were incredible as is the setting, obviously.

Durden Smith was from the Lord Taverners. He told us that as well as being the slowest driver ever Derek couldn't swim. The Dean later said that he was pleased to hear that as it showed Derek was human after all.

Most of the Kent 1st XI were there and lots of Charlton people. As well as those Rick mentioned Peter Shaw, Sue Townsend, David Summers, David White and Steve Sutherland, Peter Varney, Chris Parkes and Mick Everett.  Matt Baker gave a reading.

• Options

I seem to remember you grabbing a few extra copies yourself @Airman Brown

Mine are for the museum. What's your excuse? 🥲

They won't be on eBay BTW

Noticed you belting out Jerusalem like a good Labour man.

Was a good service and the choral singers were incredible as is the setting, obviously.

Durden Smith was from the Lord Taverners. He told us that as well as being the slowest driver ever Derek couldn't swim. The Dean later said that he was pleased to hear that as it showed Derek was human after all.

Most of the Kent 1st XI were there and lots of Charlton people. As well as those Rick mentioned Peter Shaw, Sue Townsend, David Summers, David White and Steve Sutherland, Peter Varney, Chris Parkes and Mick Everett.  Matt Baker gave a reading.

Jerusalem is the only thing I sing on these occasions. Good spot.
  • Options
    It's a great tune.

Nice that the football chant "bread of heaven" was sung too.

I think football  chants were better when we all had hymns forced on us at school. Some good tunes.
  • Options
    Steve Sutherland put up some wonderful photos on Twitter 🥰
  • Options
    edited February 2022

• Options
    It's a great tune.

I think football  chants were better when we all had hymns forced on us at school. Some good tunes.
    Totally agree! Hymns played a huge part in our lives and culture.

With the complete abandonment of faith in this doomed part of the world we have lost everything. Nations see it clearly and observe this about us and our dismal "morality". We still don't make the connections. Erase God and every last memory of Him and you are in trouble. Big trouble. 

Such nations still have hymns as central to their culture and forms of worship and  expression. We have a lot to relearn. 
  • Options
    It's like Pavlov's dog with some people.

Whooooooosh

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    The rich man in his castle
    The poor man at his gate
    God made them, high or lowly
    And ordered their estate

All Things Bright and Beautiful indeed!
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Fittingly, the Dean of Canterbury is Robert Willis, although probably a lot more of a Robert than a Bob
  • Options
    It's a great tune.

Totally agree! Hymns played a huge part in our lives and culture.

With the complete abandonment of faith in this doomed part of the world we have lost everything. Nations see it clearly and observe this about us and our dismal "morality". We still don't make the connections. Erase God and every last memory of Him and you are in trouble. Big trouble. 

Such nations still have hymns as central to their culture and forms of worship and  expression. We have a lot to relearn. 
    You seriously gonna derail a memorial thread to push your belief system again and again. 

As for that complete bullshit about nations still having religion - Russia would be a good example of that the Russian orthodox church is central to their culture, politics and life. How is that showing through to their morality?

Wanker.
  • Options
    Is that the programme from the England game he played in next to it?
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    Is that the programme from the England game he played in next to it?
    Indeed it is.