Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Preparation and Scouting Issues

Here is what I think our main problem has been this season.

The scouting and preparation has been a shambles. We were late with the signing and haven’t signed the right players in comparison to before. Look at Oxford, they don’t necessarily have good players but they worked well together, looked a good side when we played them and they’re probably on lower wages!

Players in our side don’t necessarily fit well into our system. Look at Kirk, great signing but why did the scouting not identify him on the position he played at Crewe? Now he is playing for a team above us!

I really think we need to improve on this BIG time. As Curbs always say, we need hungry players and most of our players do not look hungry!

Serious questions need to be answered where this went wrong. We have a Q&A with the owner on Thursday. Answers are required where we’re going to improve from this shambles of a season!

Comments

• Options
    For me one of the main issues is that we never press the opposition when they have the ball. Saturday was a prime example of that. Every time a Wednesday player had the ball we stood 2 metres off them and let them play the ball out unchallenged. 
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    For me one of the main issues is that we never press the opposition when they have the ball. Saturday was a prime example of that. Every time a Wednesday player had the ball we stood 2 metres off them and let them play the ball out unchallenged. 
    I think that’s partly the issue. I just don’t think most of the players we got are good enough.
  • Options
    Any team scouting us can see our weaknesses as we get caught out the same ways week after week: defending at set pieces, cutting inside the wing backs, press the defence into making a mistake, force us to go long when our tallest player is about 5'10" or simply passing out of defence straight to the oppostition.

One reason it's time for a system tweak.
  • Options
    I think it gives the players too much credit saying they're just not good enough. They've been good enough at this level for other teams for a few of them to be POTY at their clubs, they've played for bigger teams at higher levels and they've even shown for us that they can perform exceptionally if they feel like it. They just rarely seem to feel like it. Bothe Adkins and Jackson had a bounce when they started and then the players lost interest again. Kirk fit our system perfectly when we signed him. Adkins liked to play with one winger inverted and Kirk fit that. He was the best player in the league in that position and we couldn't get a tune out of him. Stockley was brilliant for Adkins last season and anonymous for him this season. Gilbey did well when Adkins first came in and then reverted, Purrington was unplayable under Jackson and now just looks really sad all the time, even Matthews made a good start under Jacko. They just can't function for any extended period at Charlton and it's really weird.
  • Options
    DiscoCAFC said:
    Here is what I think our main problem has been this season.

The scouting and preparation has been a shambles. We were late with the signing and haven’t signed the right players in comparison to before. Look at Oxford, they don’t necessarily have good players but they worked well together, looked a good side when we played them and they’re probably on lower wages!

Players in our side don’t necessarily fit well into our system. Look at Kirk, great signing but why did the scouting not identify him on the position he played at Crewe? Now he is playing for a team above us!

I really think we need to improve on this BIG time. As Curbs always say, we need hungry players and most of our players do not look hungry!

Serious questions need to be answered where this went wrong. We have a Q&A with the owner on Thursday. Answers are required where we’re going to improve from this shambles of a season!
    Not sure. They have a very wealthy owner. 
  • Options
    You have to wonder about our physio / sports science team - we know Innis has a history of injury problems but i'm not sure chucks did befiore they got their hands on him and i don't  believe the likes of stockley and lavelle had injury issues before they came to us. Every time a player seems to hit some sort of form, he goes out injured - CBT the latest. I watched the game we beat chelsea on boxing day last night and we just looked so fit and up for it - we steamrollered chelsea and didn't give them a minute to settle on the ball - whatever we were doing then, lets have some of it now !! 
  • Options
    We had a good mix of other teams better players that we had taken off them - holland, heraiderson, euell, stewart, di canio, powell, kiely (jenson and fish in squad) and had a few real finds from aboad - jj, kishishev, bartlett, a few good pro's like chris perry and a sprinkling of our youth poroducts - parker, fortune, konchesky, Lisbie- and they were all in great condition, outworking the opposition if nothing else. Okay, so we bought the odd Rowett and Gary Poole but they were very rare. The football was uncomplicated - 442 - 4 midfielders, no hot and cold winger, a back four who weren't against launching it when under pressure and a nice mix of pace, finish and craft in jj and di canio. No playing it round the back or standing off in zone's or whatever they do now when the opposition have it - just good, high tempo front foot football that the likes of lampard, makalele and joe cole couldn't handle on the day  
  • Options
    Murray said before the game we were expanding the ground to 30k and then 40k and he and Alan Curbishley had the best chairman / manager relationship in football - how did it all go so wrong - in fact don't answer that, we've done all taht to death but blimey, lets get Curbishley back in in some capacity to help this lot out !!!  
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    If that’s the case then you need to point your finger at the coaching. Certainly I’ll agree that players are not good enough for where we want to be but these are experienced pros who’ve been in and around this division most of their careers. Pressing the opposition is well within the capabilities of all of them.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Murray said before the game we were expanding the ground to 30k and then 40k and he and Alan Curbishley had the best chairman / manager relationship in football - how did it all go so wrong - in fact don't answer that, we've done all taht to death but blimey, lets get Curbishley back in in some capacity to help this lot out !!!  
    Turning back the clock doesn’t always work unfortunately. He’s been out of the game a long time, and might not want to sour his reputation, especially with his name on a stand. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Turning back the clock doesn’t always work unfortunately. He’s been out of the game a long time, and might not want to sour his reputation, especially with his name on a stand. 
    i think he would and think he has said that as well 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    JamesSeed said:
    DOUCHER said:
    i think he would and think he has said that as well 
    Ok, fair play. Would be interesting, that’s for sure. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    I think it gives the players too much credit saying they're just not good enough. They've been good enough at this level for other teams for a few of them to be POTY at their clubs, they've played for bigger teams at higher levels and they've even shown for us that they can perform exceptionally if they feel like it. They just rarely seem to feel like it. Bothe Adkins and Jackson had a bounce when they started and then the players lost interest again. Kirk fit our system perfectly when we signed him. Adkins liked to play with one winger inverted and Kirk fit that. He was the best player in the league in that position and we couldn't get a tune out of him. Stockley was brilliant for Adkins last season and anonymous for him this season. Gilbey did well when Adkins first came in and then reverted, Purrington was unplayable under Jackson and now just looks really sad all the time, even Matthews made a good start under Jacko. They just can't function for any extended period at Charlton and it's really weird.
    Kirk fitting our system is exactly the problem.  He didn't.  He is a right footed left winger, like Millar, that's the end of the comparison.  He is a completely different type of player and makes you have to play in a different type of way.

League 1 footballers are by and large, even the best ones very niche.  Fraser at Ipswich is probably a good example.  Our recruitment in the summer, who ever was responsible, was very general.

Even Dobson doesn't have the attributes to fit "like for like but better" into our best team of the end of last season.   That's all we needed 4 or 5 players that made us better.

Our squad was built for 4231/433 but what was, on paper, our best balanced team?  What was the cover?  We probably did have 2 players, in theory, for every position, but not like for like and not all square pegs in round holes.

The only player we signed in the summer that failed purely because they weren't good enough was Souare. 
  • Options
    I find it interesting that some of the most organised teams put somebody high up in the stand opposite the dug outs with a laptop to watch the game from a different perspective. This happened last Saturday and was certainly something Leicester City used to do.
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    I find it interesting that some of the most organised teams put somebody high up in the stand opposite the dug outs with a laptop to watch the game from a different perspective. This happened last Saturday and was certainly something Leicester City used to do.
    I may well be wrong ( I often am !) but from where we sit in Block E, Curbs' Stand, I'm certain that 2 guys dressed in Charlton gear walked down the stairs in the furthest aisle from us, with laptops in hand, and made their way around the pitch. 

This was at the last home match as soon as the ref blew the final whistle.

So, does that make us one of the most organised teams ? 
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Kirk fitting our system is exactly the problem.  He didn't.  He is a right footed left winger, like Millar, that's the end of the comparison.  He is a completely different type of player and makes you have to play in a different type of way.

League 1 footballers are by and large, even the best ones very niche.  Fraser at Ipswich is probably a good example.  Our recruitment in the summer, who ever was responsible, was very general.

Even Dobson doesn't have the attributes to fit "like for like but better" into our best team of the end of last season.   That's all we needed 4 or 5 players that made us better.

Our squad was built for 4231/433 but what was, on paper, our best balanced team?  What was the cover?  We probably did have 2 players, in theory, for every position, but not like for like and not all square pegs in round holes.

The only player we signed in the summer that failed purely because they weren't good enough was Souare. 

This is nonsense.  You don't have a fixed system.  In most games, you'll play variations on a theme anyway.

You recruit decent footballers.  Players with technique and a balanced physique.

This is why I prefer Gilbey to Jaiyesimi.  And why Aneke doesn't cut it for me.  I have doubts about Dobson too, but he's doing well enough.

Once you have your squad of technical and athletic players, all options are available.  Sure, you can have a preferred system and you might use that most times.

But the modern player must be adaptable.

Kirk missed out ... and will continue to miss out ... because he is limited (one foot) and because he thinks is he Ronaldo (he isn't).

This current squad is so limited that Jackson has limited choices.  First priority in the Summer ... get some athletes who are flexible footballers. 

Better still, get some flexible footballers who are athletes.