Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Robert Lee arrested for stealing a limo

according to BBC London. He and Warren Barton alleged to have stolen a Limo and driven it while unfit.

Comments

• Options
    I went off him some years ago, doesn't seem to have much loyalty to us to be honest.
  • Options
    I went off of him when his name changed to Rob Lee!

Always Robert Lee to us, so really a different bloke!
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]I went off him some years ago, doesn't seem to have much loyalty to us to be honest.

Should he have?

I know what you mean Paul Walsh is worse - i can't stand the little scroat
  • Options
    I read Robert Lee's book. Total waste of rainforest it was.

I found his references to his time at Charlton pretty condesending and he went on to say something like "for some reason Charlton decided to sell me to the only team above them in the league at the time".

The reason was to get back to The Valley - you w*nker.
  • Options
    great player,but not really known for his bottle
  • Options
    ive got more time for Bowyer personally
  • Options
    not sure whether anyone knows this,but he used to be a turnstile operator at the valley...
  • Options
    A bit like Dennis?

"He and Warren Barton alleged to have stolen a Limo and driven it while unfit."

Things players do while unfit, tut, tut.

Now you didn't hear about Andy Reid stealing a Limo last season - while unfit? ;-)
  • Options
    no but doesnt darren bent have something dark in his past?
  • Options
    Yeah, he shot a kid with an air rifle - he was about 16 at the time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Yeah, he shot a kid with an air rifle - he was about 16 at the time.

always said he got shot on target no matter what the angle!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]not sure whether anyone knows this,but he used to be a turnstile operator at the valley...

Where did you get that from? Never heard it before ;-)
  • Options
    rumour has it that lee pocketed alot of the money coming through hes turnstile,hence our demise.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: lucy lou[/cite]rumour has it that lee pocketed alot of the money coming through hes turnstile,hence our demise.

Yeah right. There were stories in the 70's about the club not declaring the correct attendances and the directors pocketing the cash. Both stories sound a load of bollocks to me.
  • Options
    Well funny knicking a car in London

Should have asked the Chavs how to do it and get away with it

Send him down 10 year stretch LOL
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: lucy lou[/cite]rumour has it that lee pocketed alot of the money coming through hes turnstile,hence our demise.

Yeah right. There were stories in the 70's about the club not declaring the correct attendances and the directors pocketing the cash. Both stories sound a load of bollocks to me.

Standard practise at a lot of clubs in the 70's, Binger.

Declare a crowd 20% less than was actually there and you paid a lot less tax to the Inland Revenue.
    The difference went a long way towards paying players' wages and kept impoverished clubs afloat.

Michael Gliksten's Charlton Athletic was no different.......
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]

Standard practise at a lot of clubs in the 70's, Binger.

Declare a crowd 20% less than was actually there and you paid a lot less tax to the Inland Revenue.
    The difference went a long way towards paying players' wages and kept impoverished clubs afloat.

Michael Gliksten's Charlton Athletic was no different.......

It sounds like one of those urban myths to me. Most clubs like Charlton were losing money and being kept afloat by benefactors. (Not much has changed since then). The club would only be taxed on its profits. They were potless and thus paid little or no tax anyway. I heard this scenario being suggested by many of my Charlton supporting family, indeed it was always a hot topic of conversation at family gatherings. "Why is the club going nowhere and where has all the money gone?". "They never declare all the attendance you know". "Glicksteins have bled this club dry" etc. etc. Sadly the truth was that there wasn't any money.
  • Options
    It sounds like one of those urban myths to me. Most clubs like Charlton were losing money and being kept afloat by benefactors. (Not much has changed since then). The club would only be taxed on its profits

I had a friend who once worked for the VAT office, his job was in catching these scams, for example he'd spend hours sitting outside restaurants counting people going in and coming out and then contronting the restauranteur with the evidence when the latter said he'd had a quiet night.

The football ground scam is widely known, it didn't just happen at Charlton but at just about every club and business for that matter takes in large sums of cash, the unique thing about football though is that a large number of punters would turn up in a short space of time making it virtually impossible to count everyone that goes in, so the tax/vat people would really have no idea if the crowd was officially 18K or 20K.

But it wasn't so much the Gliksteins pocketing the money that was the problem but simply not investing in the club or the ground.
  • Options
    I remember one attendance at home to Port Vale when we were at Upton Park which was 3,000 and the real attendance was about double.

Think a few got sacked after that.
  • Options
    You mean when we beat them 2-0? Yes, I was at that one and although it was sparse I could not believe the "official" attendance the next day. Those were the days.....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    it was a couple of weeks before we played Brighton in their all-in-one striped tesco bag kit, i'm sure
  • Options
    The lower "official" attendance issue wasnt just about tax though - don't forget the old turnstile operators creaming off their bit of the takings too!

Bloody Robert Lee again!