Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Egypt

edited July 2007 in Not Sports Related
Hi All

Has anyone been to Egypt recently - if so what are your views??

We have the post holiday blues and are looking into next years holiday! ;-)

Mx

Comments

• Options
    Better check with our Holiday Correspondent MCS.

He did a great review of Paris for CharltonlIfe Recently.
  • Options
    You really dont wanna go there, its a hole i tell ya! Never been there tho, but mark my words its a crap hole!

Beggers, 48 degrees, beggers, people asking whatever bloke you are with 'how many camals do you want for her' ffs someone actually thinking the bloke will say, oh ok then i do need 6 camals to ship back to england! steer clear of third world counties for holidays, they cost too much for it to be rubbish!

I would go to skegness! or mexico!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]You really dont wanna go there, its a hole i tell ya! Never been there tho, but mark my words its a crap hole!

Beggers, 48 degrees, beggers, people asking whatever bloke you are with 'how many camals do you want for her' ffs someone actually thinking the bloke will say, oh ok then i do need 6 camals to ship back to england! steer clear of third world counties for holidays, they cost too much for it to be rubbish!

I would go to skegness! or mexico!

Thanks!! Heat doesn't bother me - coming back from Dubai that was 42 -46 degrees the whole time is fine by me! the hotter the better. So that's not off putting from you mate considering anything above 15 degrees in this contry makes you have a hissy fit! LOL

My Dad in Dubai (Jokingly - I Hope) did get asked how many Camels for me.......... Beggers - well you get them in London so nothing different there!

Skegness - NOPE - Mexico - not sure about there - will have a look!

Thanks again!
  • Options
    always take what i say as proper, i know what i am on about when it comes to egipt, paris, and any other minging hovel!

See me, like a ginger Judith Chalmers.
  • Options
    Egypt's sensational - and cheap. As MCS so deftly observes, you'll get pestered around the famous sites, but most of it's good-natured; just be firm and keep smiling. You don't have to be a total culture vulture to marvel at the temples and tombs in Luxor / Thebes, but when you've had enough, pop down and relax on a felucca on the Nile in Aswan - it's far more mellow than Luxor, and the Nubian people are cool even if the weather isn't. Cairo's mad but fun, and when you've seen the pyramids you can pop over to the Sinai for some of the best snorkelling in the world. Alternatively, nip down the Dome for the Tut exhibition!
  • Options
    We are looking at Sharm El Sheikh.......... Which we hope is a nice place.......... As it does have some nice hotels there.

With the pests - you get them everywhere - there were loads on the at the gold souks in Dubai - and as you rightly say Paddy7 just smile and be firm....

Mx
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Paddy7[/cite] nip down the Dome for the Tut exhibition!

Good, about time Greenwich Council celebrated the legend that was Graham Tutt :-)
  • Options
    Nice one AFKA. Wonder how good GT would've become. He seemed immense but then I was only about ten so couldn't really judge him. I remember visiting him in the now defunct Hither Green hospital a few days after that horrendous Finney challenge at Roker. Bizarrely, I'd had a lift in Richie Bowman's Lancia on the Sunday after that game; he'd scored that cracker on MOTD with Killer in goal and was watching his brother play in Ladywell.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Paddy7[/cite]Nice one AFKA. Wonder how good GT would've become. He seemed immense but then I was only about ten so couldn't really judge him. I remember visiting him in the now defunct Hither Green hospital a few days after that horrendous Finney challenge at Roker. Bizarrely, I'd had a lift in Richie Bowman's Lancia on the Sunday after that game; he'd scored that cracker on MOTD with Killer in goal and was watching his brother play in Ladywell.

????
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MariaCAFC[/cite]With the pests - you get them everywhere - there were loads on the at the gold souks in Dubai - and as you rightly say Paddy7 just smile and be firm....

cant see why anyone would want to put themselves in that situation, obviously you have money, and obviously the locals dont! its just not right.

Thats dubai i can now put on my list of no go place sto visit' with anywhere in Italy (uuuurrrrrggggg), paris, egypt!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    i've just come back from Sharm and this was my 3rd time. Stayed at the Hilton Sharks bay decent hotel with friendly staff. I mainly goto Sharm for the Diving which is excellent but having said that the town is also decent enough for nightlife with many different bars and restaurants to suit all tastes. The Mexican near the Hard Rock Cafe is excellent and the Camel bar is a good place to go for a drink and throw peanuts ! You wont see a cloud the whole time you are there and was 42 c when i was there 2 weeks ago. The flight is relatively short and transfer from airport doesnt take long... i think its a decent option for a week you just have to get used to the Egyptian way out there.... enjoy
  • Options
    Stu - sorry if that was a bit obscure. Just reminiscing about Graham Tutt. Seemed set for greatness to a naive 10 year old, but got his nose shattered in a challenge by a to**er with a famous name and never played again. Still doesn't have much to do with Egypt though!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: MariaCAFC[/cite]With the pests - you get them everywhere - there were loads on the at the gold souks in Dubai - and as you rightly say Paddy7 just smile and be firm....

cant see why anyone would want to put themselves in that situation, obviously you have money, and obviously the locals dont! its just not right.

Thats dubai i can now put on my list of no go place sto visit' with anywhere in Italy (uuuurrrrrggggg), paris, egypt!!

Ollie, if you don't go to Dubai because of that, then you're missing out mate! It's a great place! Yes, there are pests at the gold souks, trying to get you to buy fake Rolex's etc, but a polite 'no' and they leave you. Dubai is well worth the visit.

Maria - for next holiday, go for the Maldives mate.... really is paradise and the costs are coming down rapidly. It's a place everyone should go to, before rising sea's mean they are no more....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite] Thats dubai i can now put on my list of no go place sto visit' with anywhere in Italy (uuuurrrrrggggg), paris, egypt!!

Paris is the nuts and Italys beautiful. 2 of the most romantic places in the world.
  • Options
    agree.
  • Options
    Not exactly recently, but did the Nile cruise a few years back plus the Pyramids.

One of the best fooking holidays I've ever had. Wife didn't like it as much becaue it was far from a relaxing holiday, because there was so much to see. The Red Sea area is a different place again, but sorry I've never been.

As for the people, for the most part they were as friendly and as genuine as most I've come across, but yes you get a few w***ers and your fair share of beggars, but it's no different to London or Paris in that respect, it's just that they are a lot more up front in places like Egypt.

Best tips I can give you is;

a). If you don't want to enter into a negotiation for a bargain, or give anything to a beggar, just ignore them, they wil go away. As soon as you acknowledge them, even to say NO, you have started a discussion, so you won't shake them.

b). If that fails, 'IMSHEE' means F***K OFF, but only use it in extreme circumstances because your average Egyptian will be very hurt by this.

c). Embrace the place and the people, you'll love it.

Note to MCS: - Take that fookin knotted hankie off yer head, I'd rather go to Cairo then fookin Croydon, Thamesmead, or chuffin Walsall. :-)
  • Options
    im going to sharm end of august ill let you know when i come back..
  • Options
    Not been to sharm.

Taba / Taba heights - great hotels, good for trips into Israel or Jordan, nothing outside the hotels to speak of.

Nuweiba - OK, again little outside the hotel, the main port is very commercial, the old town is small but OK

Marsa Alam - quite a way south, new resort still lots of building going on. Hotels tend to be new and very comfortable. Good for trips to Luxor but gets hot in the summer. El Qsir is the largest town close to the resort, about 20 / 30 mins north of the resort.

The big thing with Egyptian costal resorts in scuba diving. If you don't dive stick to Sharm or Hurgarda. But then you caould always learn to dive while you're there!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cunningstunt87[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]Thats dubai i can now put on my list of no go place sto visit' with anywhere in Italy (uuuurrrrrggggg), paris, egypt!!

Paris is the nuts and Italys beautiful. 2 of the most romantic places in the world.

even more reason not to like these places!

each to his own thats what i say!

I wouldnt go to croydon either! certainly wouldnt want to go to arab country. personal preference aint it.
  • Options
    Thank you all for your replies - Look like this is the place to be looking at for next year.

Medders - Maldives is also on the list.....

Mx
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    my tuppence Maria, if there is a choice between Sharm and Maldives, Maldives every time...

If you dive that is...

Sharm is ok, a bit plastic imo, like going to Calais and saying you've done France, but it's friendly enough and the diving is ok, though very crowded.

Maldives on the other hand is exceptional, small islands no roads, no bother, but I reckon it'll be a bit boring if you don't do diving/snorkling...
  • Options
    The only thing that is worrying us with the Maldives is that I get the impression that you can get bored - Medders please correct me if I'm wrong!

I like a holiday that is totally relaxing but has shops and bars outside of the hotel if needed.

I have never dived in my life but I love to snorkel so both sound lovey for that.

Mx
  • Options
    Maldives - No shops Maria, no bars except for the (quiet) hotel ones.....looks like Sharm it is...:-)
  • Options
    Was in Egypt back in June, had an amazing time. We stayed in Marsa Alarm, this area is quite new so not built up and not to many holiday makers around great if your after a relaxing stay. We did a couple of snorkling trips and a day trip to Luxor. Apart from that we just chilled out !!
  • Options
    i've chosen not to go to Maldives maria as i think it would be too small for the hyperactive other half.
    plus i think theres quite a big difference in price between egypt and maldives!

added to that Im not sure who are going with but Maldives is definitely a couples place. so all depends if you're going with family i would definitely say egypt.

I've been to Taba - nothing outside the complex to do just in the resorts.