Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Marx Brothers ride a Triumph.

Or at least I think Groucho does.

I've been digging up Marx Brothers footage I've never seen before and came across this, two bits of footage shot for a TV show in 1959 which never got finished because of Chico's heart disease.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5u6q4xpI9A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YQc4pIVXtI

At 3.17 in the first one, it sure looks to me that the bike Groucho's supposed to have ridden up on is a Triumph.

Comments

• Options
    Sorry what's the relevance of this? Not sure why it's special they'd have ridden a Triumph?
  • Options
    So Does Batman 
  • Options
    Can't offer any expertise on motorbikes, but thanks for posting - don't think I'd seen that before.

* honk *
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    @March51 would have something to add here. Wish I knew what. But it would be pro-Triumph. 
  • Options
    Thought this was about a new attraction at Chessington or something
  • Options
    fadgadget said:
    So Does Batman 
    So did The Fonz

• Options
    So do I (well, two actually...)
  • Options
    ...and I've got dad's, if only I could figure out how to get it running. 
  • Options
    And of course Marlon Brando rides one in The Wild One.  All his gang are riding British bikes, not a Harley to be seen if I remember rightly.
  • Options
    Is your husband still alive ?
    Did he leave you any money ?
    Answer the second question first. 

Groucho quips are top notch. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Steve McQueen rides a Triumph motorbike in that fantastic Great Escape sequence.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Triumphs back in the day were beautiful bikes but somewhat prone to reliability issues! The Japanese fixed that and pretty much dominated sales - but Triumphs built today are amongst the very best bikes available.

I keep asking my wife if she's ok with me getting a Bonneville, and she just keeps calling me silly!

Triumph 2021 Speedmaster
  • Options
    I rode motorbikes for about 14 years.
    Loved it but never again, too dangerous.
  • Options
    I Have one also .
  • Options
    And so do I!!  A 2018 T120.  Love it....
  • Options

That was the same as my dad's second Triumph! He was up north and saw it in a garage. He resisted buying it and a year later saw one in a garage down here. He spoke to the salesman who showed him the paperwork - it was the very same bike. So dad thought it meant he had to buy it. 

This touches on two key things about my dad; firstly, he was a romantic who believed in some form of destiny. And secondly, he knew how to build up credit card debt. 
  • Options
    Heres Mine , i have done a few modifications since this was taken .
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
     And secondly, he knew how to build up credit card debt. 
    No debt with this one! I bought it in 2007 - it had sat in a garage for eight years, untouched, with 3,000 miles on the clock. The owner wanted £1,300 for it and I bit his hand off! It has now done over 66,000 miles and is still in regular use - using it for a journey I have to do tomorrow.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    fadgadget said:
    I hope you can ride it better than you can fly your plane.
    I Was in a rush .
  • Options
    fadgadget said:
    Bradwell?
  • Options
    Stig said:
    fadgadget said:
    Bradwell?
    Yes , there are some nice roads around there .
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Triumphs back in the day were beautiful bikes but somewhat prone to reliability issues! The Japanese fixed that and pretty much dominated sales - but Triumphs built today are amongst the very best bikes available.

I keep asking my wife if she's ok with me getting a Bonneville, and she just keeps calling me silly!

Triumph 2021 Speedmaster
    I just showed Ms AA the one I'd bought.  Much simpler.
  • Options
    fadgadget said:
    I'd let you ride my bike but I sure ain't letting you anywhere near my aeroplane.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    No debt with this one! I bought it in 2007 - it had sat in a garage for eight years, untouched, with 3,000 miles on the clock. The owner wanted £1,300 for it and I bit his hand off! It has now done over 66,000 miles and is still in regular use - using it for a journey I have to do tomorrow.
    £1,300 was a steal.  Well done, finding that.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Is it a Trident?
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Is it a Trident?
    Sure looks like one. Three down pipes and the right paint job. 
  • Options
    Is your husband still alive ?
    Did he leave you any money ?
    Answer the second question first. 

Groucho quips are top notch. 
    I’ll dance with you until the cows come home. On second thoughts, I’ll dance with the cows until you come home.