Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Options
    Hard to believe that Richard Rufus was never called up, let alone never capped
    even more so compared to some of the dross in that list
  • Options
    Didn't he lose out to Ugo Ehiogu ffs?

• Options
    edited March 2022
    This could've been a good guessing game

I was going to guess Steve Guppy. But I checked and he actually got one cap!
  • Options
    Capello used to like a random goalkeeper call up didn’t he?!
  • Options
    John Humphrey was another one.
  • Options
    Morgan Fox and Rhoys Wiggins would appear on a similar list for Wales. 
  • Options
    Steve Bruce is the most remarkable though.

Played over 400 games for Man Utd and yet never once got a cap. Nowadays a United player would be in the squad after playing 400 minutes.
    Was always surprised growing up that Gary Pallister didnt seem to get more caps either

I know Tony Adams was around etc. but having grown up with Man Utd winning everything in the 90s, was surprised that the Bruce / Pallister partnership was never replicated for England.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    don't think he was ever 'called up' .. Mark Albrighton has been so consistent for years, though he struggles to make the Foxes 1st team nowadays .. when you consider other  midfielders/wingers who've had the call.
  • Options
    Humphrey not getting capped was a disgrace. Best right back I have seen play for Charlton in the 45+ years I have been going. 
    Agree 100%

• Options
    Especially when you see the players called up instead. We were in the top flight & he was probably one of the best right backs at the time. But successive England managers chose players like Mel Sterland over him. 
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Humphrey not getting capped was a disgrace. Best right back I have seen play for Charlton in the 45+ years I have been going. 

Agree Johnny Humphrey's was excellent, and a great guy to talk to about his Football career, being a Sports teacher and quantum mechanics. From London Bridge to Charlton and again on the return trip despite John trying to escape down the platform.

I'm trying to get the gig on train journey interviews as I have had chats with Paul Mortimer, Alister Campbell, James Seed and Kelly Brook while travelling on trains. Kelly Brook was a difficult interview as I struggled to keep eye contact and I kept dribbling. Campbell only wanted to talk about Burnley which was fine as I knew all the Burnley players from the era when Blair's spin doctor first starter going.
    Michael Portillo eat your heart out with your lack of awareness on colour coordinated clothes.

Bruce and Bonds should have had caps plus if Michael Keane can be an International then the Financial adviser Richard Rufus surely should've got a game or two.
  • Options
    Billy Bonds played 758 domestic games either at RB, CB and CM, most of them at the highest level. At the age of 41 he became West Ham's POTY for the 4th time. He was on the bench against Italy in 1977 and was due to make his debut against Brazil in 1981 but was ruled out with broken ribs as a result of a collision with Phil Parkes. 
  • Options
    Easy to believe, unfortunately. So many England managers were blighted with big-club-only-itis. He’d probably have got in the squad for Southgate. 
  • Options
    Sven would've given Rufus a chance too, give that he called up Powell.
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:
    But he didn't
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2022
    Chizz said:
    Saga Lout said:
    But he didn't
    By the time Sven was in charge Rufus was on the way out with knee injuries?
  • Options
    My all time favourite Charlton player.
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:
    Chizz said:
    Saga Lout said:
    But he didn't
    Rufus was in the form of his life when Sven took charge and many of us expected him to be called up in Sven's first squad. Powell getting called up meant the Rufus non selection got forgotten 
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Saga Lout said:
    Chizz said:
    Saga Lout said:
    But he didn't
    Rufus was in the form of his life when Sven took charge and many of us expected him to be called up in Sven's first squad. Powell getting called up meant the Rufus non selection got forgotten 
    Oh right - I'm mis-remembering then. I do remember being pissed off Rufus was left out but I don't remember it was Sven... Nurse! Time for my nap!