Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lapsus$ - British Teen Hacker Builds £10.6m Fortune

edited March 2022 in Not Sports Related

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-60864283

My favourite quote is from his dad- "We've tried keeping him away from his computers" Yeah, course you have mate

Edit* Sorry posted in General Charlton

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2022
    Can you imagine being in school and finding out the kid in your year 11 Maths class is a secret cyber criminal who's managed to get paid £10m in ransoms?
  • Options
    Can you imagine being in school and finding out the kid in your year 11 Maths class is a secret cyber criminal who's managed to get paid £10m in ransoms?
    The boy is educated in a special school. So my guess is he’s a high functioning autistic child. Heard a family friend who was also high functioning got in trouble with the police doing something similar. These kids are extremely gifted but equally as vulnerable to manipulation. 
  • Options
    It does say in the report that he is autistic 
  • Options
    Can autism be used as hacking defence? – Channel 4 News

Asperger's study asks: Are hackers cognitively different? - CNET

Something that has been known for years now.

Not much has been done to support young children from making these kinds of decisions, more needs to be done to support them and point them in a better direction to use their skills. 

Obviously education is decades behind advances in computing and technology. Perhaps more places for 'coders' to learn how to positively use their skills making apps and other software than simply attacking firewalls online. 
  • Options
    I'd imagine 99% of tech coders are on the spectrum. Our son is 3 and has asbergers, got him a dinosaur A-z for Xmas and 2 weeks/5 reads later he'd memorised it lol. He's now moved onto the solar system planets/dwarf planets and how many moons they all have. 
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    I'd imagine 99% of tech coders are on the spectrum. Our son is 3 and has asbergers, got him a dinosaur A-z for Xmas and 2 weeks/5 reads later he'd memorised it lol. He's now moved onto the solar system planets/dwarf planets and how many moons they all have. 
    I was the same with dinosaurs, space and the natural world when I was that age according to my mum, and I don't have aspergers. Or actually... Maybe I do, considering I work in IT Security and am reasonably OK at it... 😬
  • Options
    The boy is educated in a special school. So my guess is he’s a high functioning autistic child. Heard a family friend who was also high functioning got in trouble with the police doing something similar. These kids are extremely gifted but equally as vulnerable to manipulation. 
    Ah makes more sense, I'd not seen that.
  • Options
    It's a very interesting subject I think. There is a theory that people that seem to be on an autism spectrum to varying degrees may be the next phase of evolution. I have 6 kids and 1 of them was identified as being on a spectrum at a young age. He is totally normal but does have some weird traits lol he would never get dressed if he didnt put his socks on first is one. But he is just ridiculous at Maths and science subjects. We are a normal family and all of his siblings went through school, left and became plumbers, electricians etc. He stayed onto 6th form got 4  A* a levels without really seeming to put much effort in and is now doing astro physics at uni where he also gets a small payment to work in their research facility. This example for me shows that these people that feature on a spectrum are pretty remarkable. I'm sure it wasnt noticed in the past but I suspect if they were around now people such as Turin etc would be considered austistic
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    I was the same with dinosaurs, space and the natural world when I was that age according to my mum, and I don't have aspergers. Or actually... Maybe I do, considering I work in IT Security and am reasonably OK at it... 😬
    Quite possibly!. Pre school are pretty shocked at some of the stuff he knows. 6 months ago he could barely talk lol 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That’s great Shine