Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bruce Willis To Retire From Acting.

2»

Comments

• Options
    Never thought he was a great actor and relied on his charisma on screen.

Awful that he has cognitive decline - I hope he gets all the support he needs. Very worrying for him and his family.
    Would never call him a fantastic actor (though maybe better than generally thought) but he certainly was (for a time at least) a "film star" - you knew what you were getting from him but people really liked it, enjoyed it and paid to see it.

Hopefully he can be allowed to retire gracefully and get support and not be hounded by paps. 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Never thought he was a great actor and relied on his charisma on screen.

Awful that he has cognitive decline - I hope he gets all the support he needs. Very worrying for him and his family.
    Would never call him a fantastic actor (though maybe better than generally thought) but he certainly was (for a time at least) a "film star" - you knew what you were getting from him but people really liked it, enjoyed it and paid to see it.

Hopefully he can be allowed to retire gracefully and get support and not be hounded by paps. 
    There are a number of actors who are very charismatic and essentially play themselves on screen - Bruce suited a lot of the roles he played. I've enjoyed watching him in a number of films.

We have to hope he's not hounded.

• Options
    Quite liked lucky number slevin 
  • Options
    And I bought his album.
    Going to dig it out from the loft 😍
  • Options
    I wish him well for the future. What he has sounds awful. 
  • Options
    Very sad news. I hope he gets a little bit of quality time and peace with his family now.
  • Options
    What's the "I see dead people" one? That's a good film
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    Quite liked lucky number slevin 
    Can't remember how that one went, but remember liking it
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
     Sixth Sense

I also quite liked Unbreakable.

Shyamalan's movies with Willis were probably also his best that I have seen.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Gribbo said:
     Sixth Sense

I also quite liked Unbreakable.

Shyamalan's movies with Willis were probably also his best that I have seen.
    Yeah, I forgot about those 2. Still think Moonlighting was the best thing he did though. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Absolutely mental opinion from me but Die Hard with a vengeance is the best one and probably the only decent 3rd film ever. 
    the 3rd was just as good as the 2nd for me.
    But love all 3 and have watched them over and over.
    Yeah I loved Die Hard With A Vengeance. Remember watching it on a hot summer's day in Reigate cinema with no air-con. The opening sequence really hit home ("hot time, summer in the city...") like Reigate cinema had stumbled across an early form of 4DX. 

Oddly, DHWAV got a bit of stick for being based on another script - Simon Says - that was adapted to become a DH movie. Thing is, that's often true of the DH movies. The original was based on a book called Nothing Lasts Forever and was supposed to star Frank Sinatra in the lead! Die Hard 4.0 (which I really like too) was based on an article in Wired called Farewell To Arms.

Personally, I don't give a shit where an idea originated as long as the execution is good. And thanks to John McTiernan (Die Hard, Predator) coming back to direct the third one, it absolutely was. Although McTiernan's own story after that is pretty bizarre - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_McTiernan#Criminal_charges,_felony_conviction,_and_incarceration
  • Options
    He is one if the movie stars of my time to me 

Along with that late 80s and early nineties big hitters Stallone, Big Arnold, Cruise. Proper box office and the Die Hard movies are great fun with lines that leak into popular culture yippee Kie Yay motherfucker 

I remember leaving Die Hard 4.0 at the pictures and one of my mates saying it was a good film but the bit where he leapt atop a fighter jet and brought it down was "a bit unrealistic" which drew a few laughs from the group as we tried to think of much more believable scenes from Die Hard movies. I'd have been done with all the glass in my feet 

Anyway, I've seen few of the movies he's done lately and watched with a really confused look on my face wondering why on earth he agreed to do them, didn't realise some cruel wankers were exploiting the shit out of a pretty vulnerable man. Looper was a lot of fun and whilst I was annoyed his character from unbreakable got a very underwhelming end in Glass he played that character brilliantly in Unbreakable 
  • Options
    always enjoyed his films .. he never seemed to take either himself or any role he played too seriously .. not an actor for a tear jerker or too serious a topic
  • Options
    Carter said:
    He is one if the movie stars of my time to me 

Along with that late 80s and early nineties big hitters Stallone, Big Arnold, Cruise. Proper box office and the Die Hard movies are great fun with lines that leak into popular culture yippee Kie Yay motherfucker 

I remember leaving Die Hard 4.0 at the pictures and one of my mates saying it was a good film but the bit where he leapt atop a fighter jet and brought it down was "a bit unrealistic" which drew a few laughs from the group as we tried to think of much more believable scenes from Die Hard movies. I'd have been done with all the glass in my feet 

Anyway, I've seen few of the movies he's done lately and watched with a really confused look on my face wondering why on earth he agreed to do them, didn't realise some cruel wankers were exploiting the shit out of a pretty vulnerable man. Looper was a lot of fun and whilst I was annoyed his character from unbreakable got a very underwhelming end in Glass he played that character brilliantly in Unbreakable 
    Last time I watched 4 I skipped that bit and the film is all the better for it. Such a shame they went with that idea. 
  • Options
    Last Boy Scout. The hits just keep on coming!
  • Options
    As a kid I loved him in moonlighting and of course I loved diehard too, didn’t mind his album, remember there being a track on it that had pretty much the same intro as Club Tropicana and I remember seeing him interviewed by Wogan or someone and he was your full on charismatic movie star, everything you’d imagine the guy who brought David Maddison to life would be but jump forward a few films and his interviews just turn monosyllabic like he can’t be arsed anymore and the performance just left him, always thought that was a little odd meself.
    Interesting chapter about him in Kevin Smiths autobiography.
  • Options
    He made the most of his fairly limited range as an actor. The action hero he played very well I have to say  Wish him all the very best navigating this serious debilitating Ill health. 
  • Options
    😔
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Says a lot about the entertainment industry if it allows this to happen...
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    very sad, we can only hope that the publicity from Willis' case will increase knowledge of and research into this disease
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    very sad, we can only hope that the publicity from Willis' case will increase knowledge of and research into this disease
    Hope so. I FaceTimed a friend tonight who is a gold pro in LA. Bruce Willis is a member of the club that my friend works at and his retirement came up in conversation. My friend said that Bruce Willis has had a guy with him
    since 2019 who does all his talking for him. Although this makes sense now, he just assumed that Bruce Willis was an arrogant superstar who paid someone to talk for him!!
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    It would also be good if society became more accepting of degenerative cognitive disorders. A huge number of people are affected by them and there shouldn't be such a sense of shame around the subject.